Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Back to the old drawing board for me. The month in Spain was hot and humid and the running wasn't great. Probably a bit too much on the food and drink front too. The Garmin has decided to pack it in at a bad moment.

Tried, and I mean TRIED, a 30k run this morning. It was one of the worst runs I've ever had. Ever.

Walked the last 3k or so. Yes, it was hot. Yes, I should have gone out earlier - watched a bit of the Olympics from 3.30 to 4.30 - but the way I gave up and walked! Fcukin hell. I just lost the will. No twitch or stitch or anything. It was more mental I think. I'm 9 weeks out from a local marathon and if things don't improve soon I'll have to rethink target.

Also might have to get a blood test just in case there's something awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Itziger wrote: »
    Back to the old drawing board for me. The month in Spain was hot and humid and the running wasn't great. Probably a bit too much on the food and drink front too. The Garmin has decided to pack it in at a bad moment.

Tried, and I mean TRIED, a 30k run this morning. It was one of the worst runs I've ever had. Ever.

Walked the last 3k or so. Yes, it was hot. Yes, I should have gone out earlier - watched a bit of the Olympics from 3.30 to 4.30 - but the way I gave up and walked! Fcukin hell. I just lost the will. No twitch or stitch or anything. It was more mental I think. I'm 9 weeks out from a local marathon and if things don't improve soon I'll have to rethink target.

Also might have to get a blood test just in case there's something awry.

Join the older late developers in San Seb :)

Plenty of time

TbL

Join the older late developers in San Seb :)

Plenty of time

TbL

The target here refers to time rather than race! SS is working out awful expensive for me. Pisa would be fall back. Mid/late December and know the course from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

1.22 half today, puts me back on track after a bit of a meh performance in the Mullingar 10 a few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Duanington wrote: »
    1.22 half today, puts me back on track after a bit of a meh performance in the Mullingar 10 a few weeks back
    That's a great performance Duanington, and certainly points in the right direction.

Thought for the day:
    On a more general note (not related to your post Duanington), there's a general theme running through this thread, and that's: gauging one's readiness for hitting a marathon target based on a half marathon target. A half marathon is a great indicator of fitness (a positive indicator), but using your time in the half marathon (or other similar distance) as a negative indicator is erroneous and counterproductive. While running sub 1:25 is definitely a pointer in the right direction, not hitting 1:25 is most definitely not an indicator that you cannot run sub-3. When you take on sub 3, you are training your body to run at 6:50/mile (or thereabouts), not at 6:30/mile. That's quite a substantial world of difference. I'd be pretty certain that there are a large number of runners who could comfortably run sub 3, who could not break 1:25 for the half marathon, until they completed specific HM training.

You don't have to be a great all-round runner to break 3 hours for the marathon. What you have to be is suitably (specifically) trained to average 6:52/mile for 26.x miles. A training friend of mine ran low 72 minutes for the half marathon on a fast course last September. If he really believed that a 72 minute half was his general worth in running terms, he wouldn't have bothered to run 2:30 and 2:26 marathons in the following few months.

As runners, we need positive reinforcement - particularly when training over the marathon distance, so results over shorter distances are a real psychological boost - but that's all they are. Unless you are suitably trained for a specific shorter distance (and give it a couple of shots), equivalent times are not really relevant. You should take more from your ability to hold marathon pace during training sessions, than your finishing time over a shorter distance. Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Thanks G - for the record, I'm taking it as a good half marathon result and a sign that my recent blip in Mullingar was indeed a blip....I certainly won't be easing off the gas or making assumptions on the back of it.

Funny you say that about your friend - I do think we tend to settle into limitations based on results over shorter distances. I know I've certainly been guilty of this in the past.

We really have built the Sub 3 thing into some sort of sabre tooth tiger that can only be overcome with a potion of frog spawn, a four leafed clover, garlic ( everything needs garlic) and a single drop of a banshees blood.....or a sub 1.25 half.

Your friend's experience would prove that there are indeed several ways to skin a cat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Getting past the notion of 3 hours as some sort of set-in-stone barrier which has to be breached, rather than just another number, is one of the biggest problems, I reckon. When I think about going from, say, 3:20 to 3:10, I'm like yeah, so what. I've gone 3:19...3:17....3:14. So I'm more than halfway there, with one attempt made under less than ideal conditions (DCM 2015) and another imminent with hopefully much better conditions (Berlin 2016). If I make it, then I have the task of going from 3:10 to 2:59. I know that no matter how rationally I approach this, a certain part of me is metaphorically going "gulp", and swallowing hard. It's almost hard-wired in, I think.

Duanington wrote: »
    Funny you say that about your friend - I do think we tend to settle into limitations based on results over shorter distances. I know I've certainly been guilty of this in the past.
    Your friend's experience would prove that there are indeed several ways to skin a cat !
    Part of the reason for the post-is self-motivated. I ran the R&R half recently, in 1:14:58 (albeit on an uphill course, into a head-wind on a warm day, in the middle of high mileage (making sure to line up all the excuses in a row!). That's nearly two minutes slower than my PB, and barely breaks into what I optimistically would hope will be close to marathon pace). If I felt that the best I could hope for is an equivalent time/performance for that half marathon, then there just wouldn't be any point in bothering. I might as well cancel the apartment and flights and see if I can get some of my money back. But the goal is Berlin in September. It's all still up for grabs. These interim races are more important as training/learning tools as they are as indicators of readiness or suitability.

/end inward-focused pep talk. :)

Part of the reason for the post-is self-motivated. I ran the R&R half recently, in 1:14:58 (albeit on an uphill course, into a head-wind on a warm day, in the middle of high mileage (making sure to line up all the excuses in a row!). That's nearly two minutes slower than my PB, and barely breaks into what I optimistically would hope will be close to marathon pace). If I felt that the best I could hope for is an equivalent time/performance for that half marathon, then there just wouldn't be any point in bothering. I might as well cancel the apartment and flights and see if I can get some of my money back. But the goal is Berlin in September. It's all still up for grabs. These interim races are more important as training/learning tools as they are as indicators of readiness or suitability.

/end inward-focused pep talk. :)

Exactly how I feel. Only a couple of years ago, running a 1:35 Half, when the goal is a 3:10 marathon, would have had me in a pit of despair. Now I know it's just a staging post.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Best of luck going for sub3 guys. Going to aim for that myself. Well have 6;45 pace in my head as a target/cushion :)

I posted in the novice support thread but I suppose my questions are more relavent here.

Since last 2 weeks following p&d55 from week 12. At week 10 now 55 mile week.

Today is suppose to be a rest and I did 5 easy yesterday. But I need mix up the days due to home commitments and shift work. I'm hoping to do the marathon in said time by doing the p&d55 long,MP and easy runs and my own speedwork/tempo stuff twice per week rather then one 10 mile with 6 at 15k pace which is about 6mpm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Subzero3 wrote: »
    Best of luck going for sub3 guys. Going to aim for that myself. Well have 6;45 pace in my head as a target/cushion :)

I posted in the novice support thread but I suppose my questions are more relavent here.

Today is suppose to be a rest and I did 5 easy yesterday. But I need mix up the days due to home commitments and shift work. I'm hoping to do the marathon in said time by doing the p&d55 long,MP and easy runs and my own speedwork/tempo stuff twice per week rather then one 10 mile with 6 at 15k pace which is about 6mpm.

Welcome Subzero3. You probably should give the folks here some of the background that you put up on the novices thread so they can understand your sub 3 target in the context of your running history and obvious ability......some pretty impressive times over the shorter distance. Any advice that might be given can be given with that background in mind.

PS best of luck with the training and the sub 3 target.

May be missing the question here (stick in a question mark somewhere - it'll help!). Are you wondering if you can generally adapt the P&D 55mpw program, keeping some of the stuff and substituting other stuff? Are you wondering if you can generally swap stuff about (re-schedule), or are you wondering about a specific workout or two at a particular point in the program?

May be missing the question here (stick in a question mark somewhere - it'll help!). Are you wondering if you can generally adapt the P&D 55mpw program, keeping some of the stuff and substituting other stuff? Are you wondering if you can generally swap stuff about (re-schedule), or are you wondering about a specific workout or two at a particular point in the program?

Sure Krusty.
    Yes, could I do it without the tempo runs from p&d plan? ie 10 mile with 6 @ hmp etc.

I have a 45 minute window before work that I can do 4/5 mile tempo @ 6 min pace. Which is basically run 4/5 mile @ 6 min pace before and after a few stretches. Id do that on any given day once I still get the long runs in from the plan. Now that I started running my long runs @ 7:30 ish pace I am wondering if these speed sessions would be enough. There is also xc races coming up and I started doing 1k repeats x6 at 5:30m pace between now and next month. So do you think they would cover the endurance side.?

I was doing similar for the half marathon and I got just under 79 minutes(albeit slower repeats at the time). That was my first and only half (race wise), not long before that I did a 10 miler and was just under 59 minutes. That was also my first race at that distance.

I am 36, running about 17 months, have about 2k miles done. No running background, just played soccer. Gave that up, put on weight, started to run to lose it, lost it again and i haven't stop running since :).

I live in a hilly area so all my long/easy runs are on uneven terrain. Hence why I like to do my tempo's before work in a normal flat area. Looking back over my Garmin I was doing nearly every run at threshold or above pace accordion to my HR zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Amadeus 2014

IIRC a lot of the sessions in the P&D plan are geared around speed endurance - it is less the 6@hmp and more the 6@hmp on legs that have already done a couple of miles and carry the fatigue from hard training already. The idea is to replicate running at speed on tired legs, just as you do at the tail end of a marathon. 1k reps at 5:30 or less (or 4 miles at 6min/miles) build your leg speed but short(er) speed sessions are much less use for marathons than they are for shorter races. Enhancing your VO2 max is of marginal benefit when your race will be run on the edge of your lactate threshold, for example.

Maybe you could build speed into your LSRs? KC (I think) used to have a killer pyramid session - 3 miles@pmp-2mins, 3 miles@pmp-1 min, 3 mile@pmp, 3 miles @pmp-1 min, 3 miles @pmp-2 mins (or whatever, adjusted to length and pace you need). Likewise you could do fast finish runs, 18 w/ last 6@PMP.

It's all about specificity of training, getting your body accustomed to the conditions and stresses it will face on the day.

Sure Krusty.
    Yes, could I do it without the tempo runs from p&d plan? ie 10 mile with 6 @ hmp etc.

I have a 45 minute window before work that I can do 4/5 mile tempo @ 6 min pace. Which is basically run 4/5 mile @ 6 min pace before and after a few stretches. Id do that on any given day once I still get the long runs in from the plan. Now that I started running my long runs @ 7:30 ish pace I am wondering if these speed sessions would be enough. There is also xc races coming up and I started doing 1k repeats x6 at 5:30m pace between now and next month. So do you think they would cover the endurance side.?

I was doing similar for the half marathon and I got just under 79 minutes(albeit slower repeats at the time). That was my first and only half (race wise), not long before that I did a 10 miler and was just under 59 minutes. That was also my first race at that distance.

I am 36, running about 17 months, have about 2k miles done. No running background, just played soccer. Gave that up, put on weight, started to run to lose it, lost it again and i haven't stop running since :).

I live in a hilly area so all my long/easy runs are on uneven terrain. Hence why I like to do my tempo's before work in a normal flat area. Looking back over my Garmin I was doing nearly every run at threshold or above pace accordion to my HR zones.
    Firstly, your times suggest that were you suitably trained, you could aim for targets far more aggressive than sub-3. While comparisons across runners are not entirely relevant, when I first broke 60 mins for 10 miles, I was running 2:48 for the marathon. The difference is that it was probably my 6th/7th marathon, so I had certainly made those endurance adaptations that allow you to hold a specific pace for a long amount of time.

Which brings me to my next point - speed. In your case (don't know how recent those achievements were), but speed shouldn't be a significant concern as you seem to certainly have enough for the task in hand. If you haven't done a lot of longer distance races (1/2M+), then your focus should be on endurance + speed-endurance, while keeping an eye on maintaining your pure speed (and your 1k intervals and tempo sessions should be fine to meet that requirement).

I'd suggest that long runs, marathon-paced runs (as part of long runs), and other long quality sessions are the order of the day. Amadeus has suggested some (I think from Tergat's previous suggestions/posts), but:

Long runs:
    If you want to be comfortable for the duration of the marathon, build up to 20 miles and run at least 4-5 long easy runs of at least 20 mile duration. If you are an experienced marathoner, consider picking up pace over last few miles to something like MP+5% (~7:00/mile), once 20 mile runs feel comfortable.

Progression run: 19 miles = 5 miles easy + 14 miles progressing to marathon pace - teach the body to cope with increasing effort levels later in the race

Marathon pace:
    P&D style (don't have the book in front of me, so just guessing!)
    17 miles with 8@MP
    19 miles with 10@MP
    20 miles with 12@MP

Jack Daniels:
    20-22 miles with 15 miles @MP - don't do this unless you have a few marathons under your belt and know it is achievable - nothing worse than dropping out of a MP session!

Magness:
    5 x 2 miles @MP with 800 steady (did this one yesterday!)
    5 x 3 miles @MP with 800 steady
    3 x 5 miles @MP with 800 steady - tough session - only do if well-rested and niggle free - before taper

Tergat:
    4-3-2-1 @MP with a couple of mins jog between sections
    5-4-3-2-1 @MP with a couple of mins jog between sections (again, very tough)

These are just suggestions to potentially pick and choose from. Sticking with the P&D plan (with your own speed-work) should see you there or thereabouts regardless.

Small update: Just saw that you have run 16 miles @PMP already. In that case I'd suggest that your marathon target is not aggressive enough, and given a couple of weeks of taper, you could probably go out and run the 26 miles relatively comfortably without further training.

You can stick with your existing target, but.... it will be difficult to continue to train in an upwards trajectory in the 10 weeks you have left before Dublin marathon. I'd suggest taking a small step back, but with a more aggressive target.

Has anyone ever tried 1,2,3,4,5 @MP instead of the other way around?

And, no, I'm not offering my services.

I've done the 5,4,3,2,1 and yes it is tough. I managed it but didn't hit my goal. Then again I've almost never hit my goal in a marathon other than the Karlsruhe one last year where I said I'd go for a 3.05.

Some lovely sessions above alright Krusty. Thanks for posting 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

And, no, I'm not offering my services.

I've done the 5,4,3,2,1 and yes it is tough. I managed it but didn't hit my goal. Then again I've almost never hit my goal in a marathon other than the Karlsruhe one last year where I said I'd go for a 3.05.

Some lovely sessions above alright Krusty. Thanks for posting 'em.

I done the 5,4,3... this year for the first time with a min per mile recovery, it's a monster session.
    I done it 5 weeks out and managed a master's HM PB 12 days after it and then PB'd in the marathon, although behind my goal.

Doing it in reverse would be interesting and would bring a completely different mental aspect to the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I done the 5,4,3... this year for the first time with a min per mile recovery, it's a monster session.
    I done it 5 weeks out and managed a master's HM PB 12 days after it and then PB'd in the marathon, although behind my goal.

Doing it in reverse would be interesting and would bring a completely different mental aspect to the session.

I think the early reps might be too easy that way and not give you much stimulus or much accumulated fatigue.
    It's the same reason that it's suggested that an double easy run day during endurance base training is better being 1st run long and second run short.
    The fatigue gives the second run more endurance.
    The other way around (short first) doesn't do much for the second run as you're fully recovered. Better that way to have a recovery jog first and a longer second run.
    Mind you the tendency in 1-2-3-4-5 would be to run too hard early on so it could prove a tough session anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I completed the 5-4-3-2-1 session on target, but failed miserably to get anywhere near that average pace in the marathon. It's supposed to be a tough workout, but not the absolute killer it was for me. In my heart of hearts I probably knew then that I was kidding myself a bit, even though the bare numbers said differently. There was no way I was going to be able to sustain another 11+ miles at that pace, especially without the recoveries. My race results were also less impressive in the lead up than they had been before, which should have been another indicator of what was/wasn't possible.

At the end of the day you should have a fair idea yourself of what pace you'll be capable of holding for the entire distance, once that's based honestly on how well all aspects of your training have gone and how comfortable/uncomfortable you've been in key sessions & build up races (regardless of what any calculators /predictors say).

*This is the best thread on the forum in my opinion

• Advertisement

I was only thinking this the other day ( as I stood in the pissings of rain having just finished the 5,4,3,2,1 session) - on one hand, I would imagine it could be a very tough session mentally...knowing after the 3 mile section that you had another 4 and 5 to do. On the other hand, the 1,2,3 sections could be fun

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I completed the 5-4-3-2-1 session on target, but failed miserably to get anywhere near that average pace in the marathon. It's supposed to be a tough workout, but not the absolute killer it was for me. In my heart of hearts I probably knew then that I was kidding myself a bit, even though the bare numbers said differently. There was no way I was going to be able to sustain another 11+ miles at that pace, especially without the recoveries. My race results were also less impressive in the lead up than they had been before, which should have been another indicator of what was/wasn't possible.
    I would have considered this as a marathon pace session, rather than a predictor. I wouldn't think that the ability to complete it would suggest that one could run at that pace for the full duration of a marathon, and it's probably closer to being a predictor for being able to run at that pace for a half marathon (perhaps a little faster). But if one finds it comfortable and achievable, then it's certainly sending signals that one is pointed in the right direction and can consider tougher MP sessions. If one finds it particularly tough, it doesn't mean that the goal is down the tubes - 15 miles @MP should never be easy. I think I got as far as the 2 in 5-4-3-2, before having to scurry off to use the loo, the one time I tried it.

For me, the session that told me I was 'pretty much there', was the Daniels 19 miles with 15 miles @PMP. I wouldn't do it nowadays as I just think it's too tough, and instead prefer 3x5 miles with 800 steady (no breaks), which ends up being 16.5 miles just outside of target pace, typically three weeks out from the goal, when the mileage has begun to drop a little (if you're a high mileage runner). But then I've very rarely actually hit a target. I've more often than not been about a minute off. I guess I lean towards the optimistic side when setting goals.

quote="Krusty_Clown;100788220"]Small update: Just saw that you have run 16 miles @PMP already. In that case I'd suggest that your marathon target is not aggressive enough, and given a couple of weeks of taper, you could probably go out and run the 26 miles relatively comfortably without further training.

You can stick with your existing target, but.... it will be difficult to continue to train in an upwards trajectory in the 10 weeks you have left before Dublin marathon. I'd suggest taking a small step back, but with a more aggressive target.[/quote]

Thanks for the advise Krusty_Clown.

That 16 mile at MP was on a super flat road with no traffic through a forest reserve. Perfect surface too. I will be happy be with sub3 in my first one. Even when I finished that 16 I though jesus another 10 miles of that would be tough. I will try get 20 milers even if the plan says 18, I might just add 2 miles.
    I was thinking of pacing a half marathon in a few weeks for sub 1;25 or 1:30. That would be 6:30pm pace for 13.1, rather then racing one. I could see how my hr was ect after it. My max hr is 177 over 35 in the morning. I was doing most of my long runs before around 153 bpm which was around 7min pace. Scaled it back post holiday when I felt tired to running long about 139bpm. 7:30 pace the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

For me, the session that told me I was 'pretty much there', was the Daniels 19 miles with 15 miles @PMP. I wouldn't do it nowadays as I just think it's too tough, and instead prefer 3x5 miles with 800 steady (no breaks), which ends up being 16.5 miles just outside of target pace, typically three weeks out from the goal

Athlone 3/4 is 7 weeks out from San Sebastian for me and I was going to use it to do a good long session - either the 5,4,3,2,1 or 3x5m.

Would you think if I could complete the above session 7 weeks out, that there is a chance of being over cooked come race day?

Athlone 3/4 is 7 weeks out from San Sebastian for me and I was going to use it to do a good long session - either the 5,4,3,2,1 or 3x5m.

Would you think if I could complete the above session 7 weeks out, that there is a chance of being over cooked come race day?
    I don't think there's any risk that doing a session 7 weeks out is going to hamper your race, but those are at the extreme end of the marathon-pace session spectrum, so on the basis that your training progression should* build to a pinnacle, before you hit your taper, it would probably make more sense to leave it until later in the cycle. No substantial risks, other than peaking too early, but as a marathon vet, you know your capacity for training better than anyone else, so if you think it would work for you, go for it.

* Conventional wisdom - doesn't necessarily make it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

P&D's last big MP sessions are 6 and 7 weeks out in the 55-70 12 and 18 weeks plan respectively but I have seen a lot of people doing that 5,4,3,2,1 session 4 or 5 weeks out. Double D being a case in point he did it last Saturday which is 5 week out from Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Amadeus 2014

Some really interesting sessions in there. Somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread has anyone put together a template plan? One that fuses the best of a P&D and Daniels plan with some of the good sessions from the likes of Tergat?

A different question now from a totally different perspective...

I'm returning to proper running after an extended break, back in 2012 I was in 3hr shape but have run only intermittently since. I have built myself back to HM condition and in 2017 I would like to be back in the 2:55 - 3:05 range.

Should I look at a single or double peak training year to give myself the best chance?

With a double peak I would work to a spring and autumn marathon with a standard 18 week (or so) training cycle. With a single peak I would have a much longer base phase allowing me to rebuild endurance but run the risk of putting everything in one basket and not maximizing and speed or speed endurance gains.

I can see benefit in both and the flattest / fastest local race is in July so that lends itself to an extended first cycle anyway but is there an argument for delaying until later in the year?

Some really interesting sessions in there. Somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread has anyone put together a template plan? One that fuses the best of a P&D and Daniels plan with some of the good sessions from the likes of Tergat?

A different question now from a totally different perspective...

I'm returning to proper running after an extended break, back in 2012 I was in 3hr shape but have run only intermittently since. I have built myself back to HM condition and in 2017 I would like to be back in the 2:55 - 3:05 range.

Should I look at a single or double peak training year to give myself the best chance?

With a double peak I would work to a spring and autumn marathon with a standard 18 week (or so) training cycle. With a single peak I would have a much longer base phase allowing me to rebuild endurance but run the risk of putting everything in one basket and not maximizing and speed or speed endurance gains.

I can see benefit in both and the flattest / fastest local race is in July so that lends itself to an extended first cycle anyway but is there an argument for delaying until later in the year?

In my case, I ran 2 marathons a year (spring and autumn) for 3 years out of 4 up to 2015, and while I had 2 good pbs, both in spring marathons, I never had a good autumn run. Mind you, it was always Dublin, so that may have had something to do with it. I found though, that because I was effectively in marathon training for 10 months of the year, with the other 2 being DCM recovery and then the pre-christmas period, my speed deteriorated alarmingly. So since January I have been doing 5k-specific training, with the aim of bringing that speed into my pb attempt in Berlin. I'm only doing a pacing gig in Dublin after, and I don't think I'll attempt 2 raced marathons in a year again.

That said, my age at 50+ might well have something to do with that.

At risk of coming across as the wise elder here (as others are taking a step-back from jumping in with guidance), but my own 2c is that the question depends on the individual and their training history. Lets take two runners:
    Runner A (I'm runner A!): history of running two marathons a year, PB in all of them, some shorter distance training, but otherwise training is marathon specific. Got down to 2:38, but after training hard for six months, the next marathon was also 2:38 (~20 second PB). Clear case of diminishing returns. Switched to one marathon a year and focused the rest of the year on improving speed (5k primarily). Marathon times start coming down again in chunks (2:35, 2:33, 2:xx???).

Runner B: Has run some decent marathons (2:39), but has not done any marathon training in recent years. Runs a marathon in 2:30. Goes straight from one marathon training cycle in to the next one, and repeats exactly the same training and runs 2:26. The training load and regimen is just as important as the actual characteristics of the training.

The difference between runner A and B is the training history. After a while you stop getting training stimulus from doing the same type of activity, so progress slows. But if you haven't done this type of training in recent years, you can expect to continue to see improvements, even if you follow exactly the same program....for a time... Given your recent history, I'd hazard that you'll see significant benefits from getting into a regular focused training regime (first marathon) and those benefits would continue to yield results if you were to repeat the process into a second cycle. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't run a better marathon if you interrupted the marathon cycles with 6 months of 5k-specific work (I'd hazard that this would be the case), but I still think you'd see benefits from a second cycle.

Another point to consider is your level of commitment and consistency. Marathon campaigns are long and challenging and demand huge amounts of commitment. As someone returning to running from a break, I think you should really be focusing on your current training and your next race, not thinking three races ahead. If this race doesn't go as planned, suddenly two marathon cycles will seem like an insurmountable hurdle and we won't see you back until Amadeus 2018. :) Run your half-marathon. Run your marathon - then decide about your next steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

At risk of coming across as the wise elder here (as others are taking a step-back from jumping in with guidance), but my own 2c is that the question depends on the individual and their training history. Lets take two runners:
    Runner A (I'm runner A!): history of running two marathons a year, PB in all of them, some shorter distance training, but otherwise training is marathon specific. Got down to 2:38, but after training hard for six months, the next marathon was also 2:38 (~20 second PB). Clear case of diminishing returns. Switched to one marathon a year and focused the rest of the year on improving speed (5k primarily). Marathon times start coming down again in chunks (2:35, 2:33, 2:xx???).

Runner B: Has run some decent marathons (2:39), but has not done any marathon training in recent years. Runs a marathon in 2:30. Goes straight from one marathon training cycle in to the next one, and repeats exactly the same training and runs 2:26. The training load and regimen is just as important as the actual characteristics of the training.

The difference between runner A and B is the training history. After a while you stop getting training stimulus from doing the same type of activity, so progress slows. But if you haven't done this type of training in recent years, you can expect to continue to see improvements, even if you follow exactly the same program....for a time... Given your recent history, I'd hazard that you'll see significant benefits from getting into a regular focused training regime (first marathon) and those benefits would continue to yield results if you were to repeat the process into a second cycle. That doesn't mean that you wouldn't run a better marathon if you interrupted the marathon cycles with 6 months of 5k-specific work (I'd hazard that this would be the case), but I still think you'd see benefits from a second cycle.

Another point to consider is your level of commitment and consistency. Marathon campaigns are long and challenging and demand huge amounts of commitment. As someone returning to running from a break, I think you should really be focusing on your current training and your next race, not thinking three races ahead. If this race doesn't go as planned, suddenly two marathon cycles will seem like an insurmountable hurdle and we won't see you back until Amadeus 2018. :) Run your half-marathon. Run your marathon - then decide about your next steps.

Important factor here is also age, runner B I would suggest still has a greater capacity to improve.

Advertisement