Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Important factor here is also age, runner B I would suggest still has a greater capacity to improve.
    Feic you Beepbeep... :)

I know it's true, but let a man dream. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Some really interesting sessions in there. Somewhere in the 100+ pages of this thread has anyone put together a template plan? One that fuses the best of a P&D and Daniels plan with some of the good sessions from the likes of Tergat?

Hi Amadeus.

I think different plans suit different people at different stages.
    A fusing together of other plans would create a new plan that might suit some but again might not in any way be better than the existing ones (and might risk being worse).
    A different question now from a totally different perspective...

I'm returning to proper running after an extended break, back in 2012 I was in 3hr shape but have run only intermittently since. I have built myself back to HM condition and in 2017 I would like to be back in the 2:55 - 3:05 range.

Should I look at a single or double peak training year to give myself the best chance?

With a double peak I would work to a spring and autumn marathon with a standard 18 week (or so) training cycle. With a single peak I would have a much longer base phase allowing me to rebuild endurance but run the risk of putting everything in one basket and not maximizing and speed or speed endurance gains.

I can see benefit in both and the flattest / fastest local race is in July so that lends itself to an extended first cycle anyway but is there an argument for delaying until later in the year?

I would agree with Krusty in that runners at different stages of marathon development might require different approaches.

I dont know you're recent HM training but I would suggest a kind of fundamental phase for next half year where you systematically target several paces and therefore shore up weaknesses and improve on all fronts: everything from mile pace to easy pace.
    This should include a slow, sustainable increase in mileage.
    You can achieve this by initially adding these elements to a reduced 'easy feeling' week and slowly blowing the volume up keeping the various elements intact.
    As long as the sessions are under control this is in effect base training.
    Don't do a marathon after this, focus on steady improvement at intermediate distances with only a few real target races.

After that youll be in excellent shape to target a marathon and youll know youre strenghts and weaknesses. You need to target marathon pace: but if youre an endurance guy you need to be biased a little towards the LT side (making 100% sure that endurance is covered), if youre a faster type you need to bias towarsd endurance.

You need to know yourself. If marathon training gives you more of a stimulus/interest in training hard then stick one as a carrot.
    Schedules etc are great on paper but personal motivation is what drives you.
    If you take time to reflect on potential races etc to find out what really drives you then you can use this information strategically to improve your running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I am first time marathoner, thinking about going for sub 3 at DCM. I am almost half way through my own 18 week plan and looking for input for the next 9 weeks.

2016 Training
    This year I did indoor track (800m) and then started building mileage since March. After indoors I averaged 40 mpw over 9 weeks before injuring my knee in a fall. After 2 weeks recovery I rebuilt slowly and then started to increase the mileage. I have averaged 56 mpw for the last 9 weeks, peak 65. I have done 4 runs of 20ish miles with 22 planned this weekend all easy pace 7:40-8 min.
    So far my plan has been put together by talking to others, reading stuff here, articles and books including P&D, Daniels & Magness. This week's plan looks like this:
    Mon 8 mi easy
    Tue 10 mi with 8x1K alternating 6:40/5:50 pace
    Wed 5 mi recovery
    Thur 10 mi progression
    Fri 5 mi recovery
    Sat 22 mi easy
    Sun 8 mi easy
    Total 68 mi

2016 Racing
    I have raced sparsely this year since indoors. I did two local races (5K & 10K) on consecutive days at the end of July . They were both hard runs on challenging courses but not maximum effort. I also did an 8-mile on a tough course in 49:xx - which I also paced a bit conservatively in the first half.

My distance PBs are:
    5K 16:29 2013 (16:40 last year)
    10K 35:50 Oct 2015
    10mi 1:03 2013
    Nothing longer.

I also should say that I am not 100% committed to going for sub 3 and if I don't think I am ready then I will back off and "just enjoy the experience", but that seems a bit of a waste when I am not likely to do many of these marathon things.

So where to from here?
    I am planning a half marathon - probably Athlone in 2 wks and maybe a 10-mile 2 wks later (5 weeks before DCM).

Ideas - keep the mileage at current levels (65-70); start to include faster paced stuff in long run; do HMP sessions in run-up to Athlone; do I need to increase my mid-week runs past 2x10 mi; should I keep 2 harder sessions in the week plus the long run with stuff; what paces should those harder sessions be at MP only, HMP, Tempo, faster ???

Inputs welcome.

dna_leri wrote: »
    I also should say that I am not 100% committed to going for sub 3 and if I don't think I am ready then I will back off and "just enjoy the experience", but that seems a bit of a waste when I am not likely to do many of these marathon things.

So where to from here?
    I am planning a half marathon - probably Athlone in 2 wks and maybe a 10-mile 2 wks later (5 weeks before DCM).

Ideas - keep the mileage at current levels (65-70); start to include faster paced stuff in long run; do HMP sessions in run-up to Athlone; do I need to increase my mid-week runs past 2x10 mi; should I keep 2 harder sessions in the week plus the long run with stuff; what paces should those harder sessions be at MP only, HMP, Tempo, faster ???
    Glad (if a little surprised) to hear you're tackling the marathon. Not many will be willing to take on new challenges, when one is already at national age-group standard in a different distance/discipline. I hope you enjoy the training as much as the race itself.

From my viewpoint (and hopefully there will be others), you're doing everything right. 6:45-6:50/mile will feel like a breeze for you over shorter distances, but the weakness will be holding that pace once you get up over 15 miles, so endurance and speed-endurance will be the areas that you need to focus on. Getting a couple of long runs completed of 3 hour duration will definitely help with that endurance adaptation (so your 22 mile run at 8 min/mile will bring you pretty close (2:56)). After that, shift to improving the quality of the long run. I think It's P&D that recommends picking up the pace at the later stages of your long run to MP+10% (7:25/mile) or MP+5% (7:05), so once the long runs are pretty achievable, it's time to start upping the game. Separately, the long marathon pace runs will be hugely beneficial, so alternating longer runs one week with MP stuff the next weekend is usually a good strategy. Also bear in mind that while it's a lot slower than 800m training, the general wear and tear of long runs/marathon pace and general mileage should be carefully managed.

I think longer race experiences are really important, so running at least one half marathon (maybe more?) makes sense. I'm not sure how your previous longer races have gone, but I'd suggest that pacing could be a challenge, given that marathon pace will feel extremely easy for you over the earlier parts of the race and unlike shorter distance races, it's significantly harder to hang-in there for 12 more miles, than it is for just a second lap. Also you may find yourself trying to race against everyone else (which would be the norm over shorter distances), but running your own race should be the order of the day for a first marathon/pop at sub-3. So I'd suggest that if your schedule can take it, you do two half marathons - one at marathon pace (as a learning/simulation/pacing experience) and a further one at half-marathon pace, if ticking off the HM is one of your goals. I wouldn't train specifically for it though (you don't really have enough time to train for both), but rather on your marathon training and the speed you have developed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I am first time marathoner, thinking about going for sub 3 at DCM. I am almost half way through my own 18 week plan and looking for input for the next 9 weeks.............
    ...............I also should say that I am not 100% committed to going for sub 3 and if I don't think I am ready then I will back off and "just enjoy the experience", but that seems a bit of a waste when I am not likely to do many of these marathon things.

So where to from here?

Inputs welcome.

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of the right stuff and have great base speed to feed off. As already said you need to focus on developing your endurance and your patience as 3 hour is a long time when you are used to having your race done and dusted in a matter of minutes. The 20/22 milers should help you on both those fronts.
    ................. I think It's P&D that recommends picking up the pace at the later stages of your long run to MP+10% (7:25/mile) or MP+5% (7:05), so once the long runs are pretty achievable, it's time to start upping the game. Separately, the long marathon pace runs will be hugely beneficial, so alternating longer runs one week with MP stuff the next weekend is usually a good strategy. Also bear in mind that while it's a lot slower than 800m training, the general wear and tear of long runs/marathon pace and general mileage should be carefully managed..............

Yep it's P&D alright. They suggest a range moving from MP+20% to MP+10% for all long runs (>16m) and medium long runs (11-16m). They also bring the midweek MLR up as far as 15miles to further assist in building the endurance needed to hold MP for all 26.2m come race day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

FBOT01 wrote: »

Yep it's P&D alright. They suggest a range moving from MP+20% to MP+10% for all long runs (>16m) and medium long runs (11-16m). They also bring the midweek MLR up as far as 15miles to further assist in building the endurance needed to hold MP for all 26.2m come race day.

So, for a 3 hour marathon - 4.15 pace - that would have +20% as 5.05. I'd only do that for the first km or so. The +10% is 4.40, not exactly flying either!! I have the P&D book but haven't looked at it for a while now.

What does the following sound like.... 8km @ +20%, 8 @ +10%, 8 @ +5% and 8 @ MP? It would be a tough enough session, maybe 3 weeks out? Thoughts?

(Just to add, I remember doing the P&D about 4 years ago and I struggled with the length of the midweek run. Could rarely find the time between family and work to fit in a 24k run in midweek)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Itziger wrote: »

(Just to add, I remember doing the P&D about 4 years ago and I struggled with the length of the midweek run. Could rarely find the time between family and work to fit in a 24k run in midweek)

Struggling with this at the moment. 15 mile midweek runs are hard to schedule.
    I was thinking of splitting the run in two but not sure if this defeats the purpose somewhat.

Was thinking of - 10 miles am w/6 @ mp & 5 mile recovery pm every second week.

My thinking is that P&D is a bit light on mp miles,
    So adding some faster stuff would balance out any loss in stimulus from not having one continuous run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Itziger wrote: »
    So, for a 3 hour marathon - 4.15 pace - that would have +20% as 5.05. I'd only do that for the first km or so. The +10% is 4.40, not exactly flying either!! I have the P&D book but haven't looked at it for a while now.

What does the following sound like.... 8km @ +20%, 8 @ +10%, 8 @ +5% and 8 @ MP? It would be a tough enough session, maybe 3 weeks out? Thoughts?

The MP +20% down to MP +10% are the suggested parameters for all MLR and LR from a P&D perspective. They drop in the MP sessions or LRs with stuff as well to supplement this. Personally I found running all MLRs and LRs in this range was enough to create the cumulative fatigue effect needed.

The idea of adding MP to the midweek runs has come up before and I wouldn't disagree that P&D is a little light on MP miles. My problem is that I have limited running experience and have not yet moved from following a standard plans to experimenting.

The midweek runs are indeed hard to manage but from what I have read and seen you will end up having some kind of session in the week that will take 90mins plus in addition to your LR.

Glad (if a little surprised) to hear you're tackling the marathon. Not many will be willing to take on new challenges, when one is already at national age-group standard in a different distance/discipline. I hope you enjoy the training as much as the race itself.

From my viewpoint (and hopefully there will be others), you're doing everything right. 6:45-6:50/mile will feel like a breeze for you over shorter distances, but the weakness will be holding that pace once you get up over 15 miles, so endurance and speed-endurance will be the areas that you need to focus on. Getting a couple of long runs completed of 3 hour duration will definitely help with that endurance adaptation (so your 22 mile run at 8 min/mile will bring you pretty close (2:56)). After that, shift to improving the quality of the long run. I think It's P&D that recommends picking up the pace at the later stages of your long run to MP+10% (7:25/mile) or MP+5% (7:05), so once the long runs are pretty achievable, it's time to start upping the game. Separately, the long marathon pace runs will be hugely beneficial, so alternating longer runs one week with MP stuff the next weekend is usually a good strategy. Also bear in mind that while it's a lot slower than 800m training, the general wear and tear of long runs/marathon pace and general mileage should be carefully managed.

I think longer race experiences are really important, so running at least one half marathon (maybe more?) makes sense. I'm not sure how your previous longer races have gone, but I'd suggest that pacing could be a challenge, given that marathon pace will feel extremely easy for you over the earlier parts of the race and unlike shorter distance races, it's significantly harder to hang-in there for 12 more miles, than it is for just a second lap. Also you may find yourself trying to race against everyone else (which would be the norm over shorter distances), but running your own race should be the order of the day for a first marathon/pop at sub-3. So I'd suggest that if your schedule can take it, you do two half marathons - one at marathon pace (as a learning/simulation/pacing experience) and a further one at half-marathon pace, if ticking off the HM is one of your goals. I wouldn't train specifically for it though (you don't really have enough time to train for both), but rather on your marathon training and the speed you have developed over the years.

Thanks KC - some good points there:
    Agreed MP will not be a problem, sustaining it will be. I have done lots of slower and faster running, very little before now at that pace. I have planned more MP miles in the coming weeks.
    I had forgotten that 22 miles easy is almost 3hrs, probably good to do another one of those later in the cycle?
    I have invested in a GPS watch to help with pacing, though in general I finish longer races well, probably digging into the anaerobic reserves. Last 2 miles of recent 8-miler was about 11 mins. (I know, I know 26 miles is a different story.)
    So far so good on the injury front but I can feel all the old niggles coming back every now and again as the mileage increases so I'll keep an eye on that.
    I get the point about doing longer races for the experience but keeping the training focused on the end goal.

Further inputs appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

I am first time marathoner, thinking about going for sub 3 at DCM. I am almost half way through my own 18 week plan and looking for input for the next 9 weeks.

2016 Training
    This year I did indoor track (800m) and then started building mileage since March. After indoors I averaged 40 mpw over 9 weeks before injuring my knee in a fall. After 2 weeks recovery I rebuilt slowly and then started to increase the mileage. I have averaged 56 mpw for the last 9 weeks, peak 65. I have done 4 runs of 20ish miles with 22 planned this weekend all easy pace 7:40-8 min.
    So far my plan has been put together by talking to others, reading stuff here, articles and books including P&D, Daniels & Magness. This week's plan looks like this:
    Mon 8 mi easy
    Wed 5 mi recovery
    Thur 10 mi progression
    Fri 5 mi recovery
    Sat 22 mi easy
    Sun 8 mi easy
    Total 68 mi

2016 Racing
    I have raced sparsely this year since indoors. I did two local races (5K & 10K) on consecutive days at the end of July . They were both hard runs on challenging courses but not maximum effort. I also did an 8-mile on a tough course in 49:xx - which I also paced a bit conservatively in the first half.

My distance PBs are:
    Nothing longer.

So where to from here?

Inputs welcome.
    As per KC I am also surprised you are going to tackle the dreaded beast!
    I suppose I am coming from a similar if a little slower background to yourself, in that I am faster over shorter distances (17 mins 5k, 27:50 8k, 35:36 10k, 1:21:03 half). My 5k and 10k times are from a year where I struggled to break 1:28 for the half.
    Endurance and specific speed endurance are my weaknesses and continue to be. I will a hazard an educated guess that this is where you may struggle somewhat also.
    Again as per KC, i think you should start including some faster stuff towards the end of your runs (planned MP or slightly faster is what has worked for me).
    Unlike KC, I would be wary of doing a half marathon at full effort. I know on a personal level a raced half takes a lot out of me (unable to do a proper session for 10 days or so). Im hazarding a guess that KC is more of an endurance runner and can recover quicker from a half. For a fast twitch guy recovery might be longer and could compromise training in the weeks after?
    There are two half races locally in September (rosgorun and north leitrim glens half) Maybe an option to run a 8k warm up, try the half at planned MP and continue through the finish line with a 5k warm down?
    I would also try and extend your midweek longer run out to 20-24k if you could. Maybe move Tuesday session to the Monday and go longer on Wednesday? Im only doing my second one this year so maybe take my suggestions with a large pinch of salt!
    Best of luck with it anyway DL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

2016 Training
    Mon 8 mi easy
    Wed 5 mi recovery
    Thur 10 mi progression
    Fri 5 mi recovery
    Sat 22 mi easy
    Sun 8 mi easy
    Total 68 mi

2016 Racing

My distance PBs are:
    Nothing longer.

So where to from here?

Inputs welcome.

HI DNA

I'd agree you need to work on endurance.
    I'd go for two big runs a week.
    The long endurance P n D style one is fine but I'd quickly reset to base paces off 2:50 MP. (See attachment.) I would keep progressing beyond the constraints of P and D also.

The second should be faster than MP and Id base it off your 2 hour race pace (6:20ish). This pace is hard to sustain beyond an hour so with the time left you could do this in intervals. You could start with 8 x 2k or 6 x 3k off an easy km between reps and then progress out. You could do the first rep or two at 6:30 pace and then see how youre fixed.

Err on the side of endurance for these. You need to complete them, you need those Intermediate fibres being worked aerobically at reasonable paces deep in the run.

Other speeds just for maintenance otherwise you'll hurt your ambitions. You'll work out what strides to do that will aid your efficiency for this training.

Easy peasy between the big sessions as you'll need to master recovery.

Good points both ways about the HM. If you do decide to do it I would not do any HM sessions to prepare for it. Get straight into marathon mode now. If you do HM sessions for it with only 6 weeks to go its not enough time to build endurance (after you recover before the taper). That 6 x 3k session would help with it.
    If you do it, It will take a big bite out of scarce training time needed for endurance development. You'll lose 2-3 endurance sessions. But it might motivate the training more which could eclipse that. If you do it decide to do it make a self bargain that youll ensure youre training will benefit.

Anyway a few more ideas. I would certainly agree that endurance should be targetted. As a paper exercise IMO 2 big sessions per week no all out races.
    But if a HM will get you fired up to better training then that's the route to go.

conavitzky wrote: »
    Unlike KC, I would be wary of doing a half marathon at full effort.
    Actually we're aligned on that point. I was proposing that if DNA was already planning to race a half, that adding an additional half-race at planned marathon pace would be beneficial. But totally agree on the fast-twitch/slow-twitch point. A raced half marathon is fine for someone who regularly (annually) runs marathons and can squeeze in a raced half, knowing that impact to training will be minimal. It is unlikely to be significantly beneficial in DNA_Leri's case, other than as a confidence booster and may come at a training cost. I do reckon doing one at planned marathon pace would be beneficial, from an experience perspective, though it's good to hear that you finish strong DNA, as a conservative strategy will certainly help in your first forays over the longer distances.

Is Dublin the target? Those M40/M45 categories are bloody competitive!

Actually we're aligned on that point. I was proposing that if DNA was already planning to race a half, that adding an additional half-race at planned marathon pace would be beneficial. But totally agree on the fast-twitch/slow-twitch point. A raced half marathon is fine for someone who regularly (annually) runs marathons and can squeeze in a raced half, knowing that impact to training will be minimal. It is unlikely to be significantly beneficial in DNA_Leri's case, other than as a confidence booster and may come at a training cost. I do reckon doing one at planned marathon pace would be beneficial, from an experience perspective, though it's good to hear that you finish strong DNA, as a conservative strategy will certainly help in your first forays over the longer distances.

KC, would you be inclined to pull the half altogether (raced) in lieu of continued marathon focused training for fear of recovery issues? The answer will be relevant to me also as I find marathon training tough enough already without racing during it (save for the odd 10k race). What's your experiences on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

demfad wrote: »
    HI DNA

I'd agree you need to work on endurance.
    I'd go for two big runs a week.
    The long endurance P n D style one is fine but I'd quickly reset to base paces off 2:50 MP. (See attachment.) I would keep progressing beyond the constraints of P and D also.

The second should be faster than MP and Id base it off your 2 hour race pace (6:20ish). This pace is hard to sustain beyond an hour so with the time left you could do this in intervals. You could start with 8 x 2k or 6 x 3k off an easy km between reps and then progress out. You could do the first rep or two at 6:30 pace and then see how youre fixed.

Err on the side of endurance for these. You need to complete them, you need those Intermediate fibres being worked aerobically at reasonable paces deep in the run.

Other speeds just for maintenance otherwise you'll hurt your ambitions. You'll work out what strides to do that will aid your efficiency for this training.

Easy peasy between the big sessions as you'll need to master recovery.

Good points both ways about the HM. If you do decide to do it I would not do any HM sessions to prepare for it. Get straight into marathon mode now. If you do HM sessions for it with only 6 weeks to go its not enough time to build endurance (after you recover before the taper). That 6 x 3k session would help with it.
    If you do it, It will take a big bite out of scarce training time needed for endurance development. You'll lose 2-3 endurance sessions. But it might motivate the training more which could eclipse that. If you do it decide to do it make a self bargain that youll ensure youre training will benefit.

Anyway a few more ideas. I would certainly agree that endurance should be targetted. As a paper exercise IMO 2 big sessions per week no all out races.
    But if a HM will get you fired up to better training then that's the route to go.

Great post..

Just to add my personal experience to this one, given that I'm coming towards the end of a plan that is largely based around 2 big sessions per week...AND have raced a tough HM route in recent weeks

1 - recovery, recovery, recovery....its something that I have struggled with at times along the way ..and needlessly so. I've found some of the bigger sessions to be both confidence boosting and draining at the same time. It really is only the last 2 or 3 weeks that I've gotten into the habit of focusing on sleep and keeping the easy runs between sessions....easy enough to make sure the legs are coming back to life along the way.
    I've actually started to ditch the watch for the most part because I have found the easy paces vary quite a bit from day to day and there is always a temptation to "hit" a certain pace on the watch.....silly, I know but its there and its real and I've found the best way to avoid that is to ditch the watch ( I'm weak minded though !)

2 - Recovery, recovery, recovery....part II

Pushing a session back a day or so is no big deal, I've found that there are weeks where I've just needed an extra night's sleep before tackling the next big session. In hindsight, I've probably had more of these weeks than I acknowledged and should possibly have pushed back more sessions along the way.

3 - Half Marathon, to race or not to race

I deliberately picked a half marathon that had a bumpy route, would challenge the mind as much as the body, was far enough out from my target race to allow for a few more weeks of training and would also facilitate recovery etc...

I went at the HM at race effort and although a different course would certainly have yielded a faster time, the point about getting "fired up for training" is the exact effect I have experienced ( to date...its only been 2 weeks or so !).

With regards to recovery, referring back to the points above - I put a lot of emphasis on sleep, nutrition, hydration etc in the days following the half ....actual, genuine emphasis ( getting to bed early, eating lots of good grub, drinking lots of water) and for me, I found that it left me ready to get back into the tough sessions pretty quickly.

The health warning to all of this is that I am probably going to have to listen to my own advice this week and push back a big session this weekend by a day because my legs are certainly feeling the effects of the couple of big sessions since the half....

In short, it's a fine balance and a bit of a week by week approach - some weeks are tougher than others, the sessions are hefty, the half for me was a big effort and I am feeling the cumulative effect this week but fingers crossed I've managed the workload well so far....4 and a bit weeks to go before I can say whether or not it has worked !

conavitzky wrote: »
    KC, would you be inclined to pull the half altogether (raced) in lieu of continued marathon focused training for fear of recovery issues? The answer will be relevant to me also as I find marathon training tough enough already without racing during it (save for the odd 10k race). What's your experiences on it?
    I'm afraid that my experience is somewhat irrelevant, as I'll race a half (realistically at closer to 90-95% than 100% - because I fear pain!) and can manage a long run the next day. I reckon for those that commit fully to a half marathon race during marathon training, there has to be a training cost, as recovery has to be taken into account. If you raced it flat out, it's unlikely you'll be able to consider any type of quality work for at least 4-5 days. For someone doing their first every half marathon, the cost will likely be greater. For someone who's fast-twitch, cost may be greater again. You get the picture.

There's definitely a place for a raced half marathon, either before you start full-on marathon training, or if you are an high mileage experienced marathoner who understands the costs and risks (I reserve the right to revise this statement come Monday!). The real problem with marathons is that you just don't know.... You don't have any data or indicators that will tell you how you're going to perform over the full distance and as runners (I reckon we're all to some extent control freaks), this irks us greatly. We need positive reinforcement. That's where I think marathon-paced runs are hugely beneficial and why I'd suggest doing one as part of a half marathon race. You get both the longer race experience (opportunity to take on water, experience the process of passing other runners who have gone out too hard, practice your pre-race nutrition (and race nutrition if applicable), etc. etc.). For someone who hasn't done a marathon before there are simple considerations like 'what happens if you need to pee'? In an 800m race (or a long run), you just hold it, or pull up at the nearest ditch. In a marathon, suddenly you've got a new quandary - you realize that timing taking on liquids before the race is important, otherwise you risk adding 30-90 seconds to your race time. Probably not a great example but these are the kinds of learning experiences you'll get from a longer race-type simulation.

On the subject of shorter distances, 10 miles isn't that much different to a half marathon, but for many of us, it'll be around the hour mark, and we can get away with stuff in a race of 60 minutes duration, that we can't in a 90 minute race experience, just because many of our training runs last for around the 60 minute mark - we're used to it. The shorter stuff definitely has training relevance (stimulation) but less specificity. Again, great motivators, but no less risky (how many times have we heard of runners who left their marathon at the finish line of a 10k race two weeks before their goal race?). Bear in mind, I am the greatest hypocrite and will likely do the opposite of all of the above. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

On the half argument...I have built a 1 week buffer into my plan, so my idea is that I'll race my half flat out and use the buffer week as recovery before picking up the remainder of the plan...

Good inputs to consider, food for thought for my long run, thanks lads.

Dublin is the target (entry confirmed) but no worries about the master's categories, I won't be competing.

What are people's experiences on maintaining weight whilst continuing to eat healthy during heavy duty marathon training or is that possible? I find I am generally good with my diet but there are days when my body starts craving crap food after long or taxing sessions. Find it very hard to maintain weight and keep the nutrition clean. Any tips. I asked a sports physiologist once what to eat as I had difficulty keeping weight on and he replied "lucky man eat what you want". I don't particularly want to be loading up on junk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

At the moment I am currently looking at losing 5-6 pounds before the Dublin marathon so I will be keeping an eye on calories between now and then. For me I will average about 2,500 per day Monday-Thursday and 3,000 Friday-Sunday. By my calculations if I am running 50-60 miles p/w I should lose around 1 pound a week which is a rate I would be happy with.

If I was looking at maintaining weight I would be looking at consuming around 3,300 per day on average. This would be relatively straight forward for me as I would just increase portions and snack more. Simple ways of introducing and increasing calories would be;

A bagel with butter and jam would be around 400 cals,
    Cook using coconut oil
    Use full fat milk, yoghurt/butter
    Plenty of nuts and oily fish
    Chocolate milk is high in calories and lovely after long runs
    Protein shakes with milk
    Plenty of fruit
    Fruit juices and energy drinks are often high in calories also
    Homemade flapjacks- there is a decent recipe knocking around somewhere

That being said I do find myself craving sugary foods after evening runs. I find an auld tangle twister does the trick after a run during the summer to keep the cravings at bay.

There are plenty of ways to skin this cat so I wouldn't worry too much. Phelps eats 12,000 cals a day and a lot of his food is crap http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/ . I am not saying to try and copy it but as long as you are fit and healthy and at a weight you are happy with a little bit of crap now and then won't do you much harm.

I'm afraid that my experience is somewhat irrelevant, as I'll race a half (realistically at closer to 90-95% than 100% - because I fear pain!) and can manage a long run the next day. I reckon for those that commit fully to a half marathon race during marathon training, there has to be a training cost, as recovery has to be taken into account. If you raced it flat out, it's unlikely you'll be able to consider any type of quality work for at least 4-5 days. For someone doing their first every half marathon, the cost will likely be greater. For someone who's fast-twitch, cost may be greater again. You get the picture.

There's definitely a place for a raced half marathon, either before you start full-on marathon training, or if you are an high mileage experienced marathoner who understands the costs and risks (I reserve the right to revise this statement come Monday!). The real problem with marathons is that you just don't know.... You don't have any data or indicators that will tell you how you're going to perform over the full distance and as runners (I reckon we're all to some extent control freaks), this irks us greatly. We need positive reinforcement. That's where I think marathon-paced runs are hugely beneficial and why I'd suggest doing one as part of a half marathon race. You get both the longer race experience (opportunity to take on water, experience the process of passing other runners who have gone out too hard, practice your pre-race nutrition (and race nutrition if applicable), etc. etc.). For someone who hasn't done a marathon before there are simple considerations like 'what happens if you need to pee'? In an 800m race (or a long run), you just hold it, or pull up at the nearest ditch. In a marathon, suddenly you've got a new quandary - you realize that timing taking on liquids before the race is important, otherwise you risk adding 30-90 seconds to your race time. Probably not a great example but these are the kinds of learning experiences you'll get from a longer race-type simulation.

On the subject of shorter distances, 10 miles isn't that much different to a half marathon, but for many of us, it'll be around the hour mark, and we can get away with stuff in a race of 60 minutes duration, that we can't in a 90 minute race experience, just because many of our training runs last for around the 60 minute mark - we're used to it. The shorter stuff definitely has training relevance (stimulation) but less specificity. Again, great motivators, but no less risky (how many times have we heard of runners who left their marathon at the finish line of a 10k race two weeks before their goal race?). Bear in mind, I am the greatest hypocrite and will likely do the opposite of all of the above. :D

Great reply. This marathon lark would leave you with a tired body and a broken head. So many ways to skin a cat and all that..not enough days in the week to try everything that's recommend by all the experts out there. If only we had a 10 day week (4 day weekend of course).

• Advertisement

At the moment I am currently looking at losing 5-6 pounds before the Dublin marathon so I will be keeping an eye on calories between now and then. For me I will average about 2,500 per day Monday-Thursday and 3,000 Friday-Sunday. By my calculations if I am running 50-60 miles p/w I should lose around 1 pound a week which is a rate I would be happy with.

If I was looking at maintaining weight I would be looking at consuming around 3,300 per day on average. This would be relatively straight forward for me as I would just increase portions and snack more. Simple ways of introducing and increasing calories would be;

A bagel with butter and jam would be around 400 cals,
    Cook using coconut oil
    Use full fat milk, yoghurt/butter
    Plenty of nuts and oily fish
    Chocolate milk is high in calories and lovely after long runs
    Protein shakes with milk
    Plenty of fruit
    Fruit juices and energy drinks are often high in calories also
    Homemade flapjacks- there is a decent recipe knocking around somewhere

That being said I do find myself craving sugary foods after evening runs. I find an auld tangle twister does the trick after a run during the summer to keep the cravings at bay.

There are plenty of ways to skin this cat so I wouldn't worry too much. Phelps eats 12,000 cals a day and a lot of his food is crap http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/ . I am not saying to try and copy it but as long as you are fit and healthy and at a weight you are happy with a little bit of crap now and then won't do you much harm.
    Thanks! Bar the full fat milk I tick every one of those boxes! Il turn into a flapjack one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Hi conavitzky,

First and foremost if you want to cut out junk food don't buy it !! :)

Easier said then done I know but what I mean is try not to buy stuff you know is no benefit to you.Try cut out processed food and make healthy meals that can last a few days so you wont have to get something convenient (processed usually). I had a terrible diet before i was running and lost most of it because of diet then lost more when I was running. I went from 102kg to 85kg in about 5 months. I am now 76kg's.

The hard part for me was my partner is naturally thin and she can eat what ever she likes. When shopping the stuff I try to avoid she will buy and its a real test after a long run :(

I cut out Irish breakfasts, took the skin off chicken, ate only brown carbs, porridge 6 days a week with honey, chia or grated apple and cinnamon. If I was hungry late at night id eat a tin of sardines/tuna, although processed are full of protein.
    I think if you eat breakfast/ dinner after you runs you will top up used glycogen rather then eating, running then needing to eat again straight after.

Shortbread biscuits after a run are alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runrayrun

I would have considered this as a marathon pace session, rather than a predictor. I wouldn't think that the ability to complete it would suggest that one could run at that pace for the full duration of a marathon, and it's probably closer to being a predictor for being able to run at that pace for a half marathon (perhaps a little faster). But if one finds it comfortable and achievable, then it's certainly sending signals that one is pointed in the right direction and can consider tougher MP sessions. If one finds it particularly tough, it doesn't mean that the goal is down the tubes - 15 miles @MP should never be easy. I think I got as far as the 2 in 5-4-3-2, before having to scurry off to use the loo, the one time I tried it.

For me, the session that told me I was 'pretty much there', was the Daniels 19 miles with 15 miles @PMP. I wouldn't do it nowadays as I just think it's too tough, and instead prefer 3x5 miles with 800 steady (no breaks), which ends up being 16.5 miles just outside of target pace, typically three weeks out from the goal, when the mileage has begun to drop a little (if you're a high mileage runner). But then I've very rarely actually hit a target. I've more often than not been about a minute off. I guess I lean towards the optimistic side when setting goals.

Hi Krusty,

After your 19miles with 15 at PMP you say that run told you that you were pretty much there. Was by the fact that you were actually able to complete it without falling apart or that you were able to run it and feel strong at the end?

runrayrun wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

After your 19miles with 15 at PMP you say that run told you that you were pretty much there. Was by the fact that you were actually able to complete it without falling apart or that you were able to run it and feel strong at the end?
    Everybody's different, and at different points of their marathon progression curve. Some will find it comfortable. Others will just about do it... Others still will not manage to complete it and still run the marathon they were planning. For me, when I finish the 15 miles @MP, I'm left wondering how the hell I'm going to cover the 2 miles back to my house and am searching my pockets for change for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 runrayrun

runrayrun wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

Everybody's different, and at different points of their marathon progression curve. Some will find it comfortable. Others will just about do it... Others still will not manage to complete it and still run the marathon they were planning. For me, when I finish the 15 miles @MP, I'm left wondering how the hell I'm going to cover the 2 miles back to my house and am searching my pockets for change for the bus.

Phew, that's pretty much me as well. I can do them but I'm so happy when it's finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Put down a nice week nearly hit 60 miles.

Mon 6 @7:30
    Tue 6X1k sub 5-30 pace 1 mile warm up/down
    Wed 12.6 @7:20
    Thur 7 @7:15
    Friday 4 @ 5:50 and 5k :5:47 2 hours later.
    Sunday 20 @7:15 felt good if a little dehydrated.

Wouldn't be able to do many of those weeks but the double tempos are my favourite,short and sweet. Only second time going over 16 miles for long run so happy with the legs. Looking forward to the marathon paced runs, dare I try for a 2:55 marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Subzero3 wrote: »

Wouldn't be able to do many of those weeks but the double tempos are my favourite,short and sweet. Only second time going over 16 miles for long run so happy with the legs. Looking forward to the marathon paced runs, dare I try for a 2:55 marathon?

I did 2.55 at my first attempt (DCM 2014). Based upon your times, I think you should be aiming closer to 2.50.

I think you should focus more on a decent MLR midweek and Long run of 20/21 miles at weekend (incorporating PMP miles). You have plenty of pace so dont see the need to do all the quick stuff at this junction.

I use to do a parkrun on a saturday as a speed session and a long run on the sunday.

All other runs were basically easy runs.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Subzero3 wrote:

Subzero3 wrote:

2:55 at least. I. Got it last year and from what I'm reading here I haven't half your speed or ability. Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Subzero3 wrote: »

I think the biggest threat to a good marathon for you is making the start line :)
    the large amount of fast work & double tempo on Fridays 2 hrs apart are a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

I'd be doing more aerobic work (longer midweek runs) and also more MP stuff.
    It'll make the 60m weeks bearable and repeatable.

that said - looks like you have bundles of ability and should be looking well under 2:55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Well folks, I've been keeping tabs on this great thread over the last couple of months without contributing very much. I'm following P&D 55 and so far it's gone pretty well. I had a confidence-boosting 16(12MP) session yesterday where I averaged 6:43 for the MP section. I was absolutely knackered by the end of it though!

Anyway, yesterday was the first time I tried taking gels while running and I was wondering what peoples experiences are. The consensus seems to be that gels are necessary when going beyond half marathon distance although I'm aware that there are those who choose not to take anything. I picked up one of those High 5 sample packs and from reading the booklet they recommend taking a gel every 20 mins from the off. Seems a bit excessive? I took two of the Isogels yesterday and had no negative reaction so I guess I'll probably just stick with them for the marathon.

Advertisement