Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FPS help !

Options
  • 10-07-2009 11:26am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've played BF2 since it first came out having missed out on the BF:1942 and BF:V scene and am still playing it today. The thing is though that I don't really want to wait until 2010 when BF3 is released.

Are there any other games out there like this?

I'm looking for a FPS which has vehicles and which gives players the opportunity to play as a team.

ArmA II looks interesting. I downloaded the demo but the singleplayer seems very 'clunky' and after hours of play, I have been unable to find a multiplayer server where people weren't just shooting each other. Now some guys in the ArmA thread have said that I can never get a feel for the game with the demo but it's a lot of cash to pay out for a game which I don't seem to get.

Any hope for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

You could try the free "Battlefield Heroes"

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You could try the free "Battlefield Heroes"

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/

its a bit meh tbh, but its free, so hey :)

its a bit meh tbh

Yeah it is, but then I also found BF and Arma II a bit meh. Not really into sprawling battlefields in FPS's. I prefer them to be close quarters with constant action (Unreal and Quake ftw :D)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Played Battlefield Heroes and while it's great fun, it's doesn't have the teamwork element.

I played BF2 on the tacticalgamer servers for years. I remember times when my squad came across a group of tanks that we couldn't get past. It was just a case of asking the squad members to stay cool for a bit, spotting the tanks for the commander and ask the commander to get the pilots to help us. Within seconds the F-16s turned up and we were on our way.
    It's an amaing buzz when you realise that almost all the players on you team are using some sort of voip to play together and supporting each other. When a squad defending a flag was in trouble it was just a case of asking for help from the commander who would ask another squad to back you up.

Hmmm....I think I'll just fire up BF2 :)

Ponster wrote: »
    Hmmm....I think I'll just fire up BF2 :)

I'm sure you could get the same in Arma II, you'd just need to join a clan or something. You aren't going to get organized skirmishes in public servers on the demo :rolleyes: the people who will take the game seriously will be in the full version of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

BF2 is probably the best thing that you're looking for tbh. TF2 is probably the next best thing in terms of team work but alas, no vehicles.

What about America's Army 3 ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

thats actually rather good, and its free, so why not!? :P

after that, red orchestra?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

MechWarrior LL is due for release soon. So in Valve-Time that a few months.
    Lots of vehicles, jets, tanks 'mechs & power armour.

Have you tried Crysis: Wars? I'd highly recommend it, they have maps of varying different sizes to suit all tastes. Some of the maps are huge, with tanks, hummers and vtols.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm downloading this atm, is it any good?

Just the one thread on boards.ie which didn't look great. Coming down at 850Kb/sec on Steam so I'll let you know in a bit....

i think its pretty good. cant complain. a bit slow but better than nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm looking for a FPS which has vehicles and which gives players the opportunity to play as a team.

ArmA II looks interesting. I downloaded the demo but the singleplayer seems very 'clunky' and after hours of play, I have been unable to find a multiplayer server where people weren't just shooting each other. Now some guys in the ArmA thread have said that I can never get a feel for the game with the demo but it's a lot of cash to pay out for a game which I don't seem to get.

Any hope for me?

We need our own boards.ie Arma group and eventually our own server :D
    Express Your interest in the Arma thread, I'm hoping to get a good few of us together for some fun

BTW, I had a great coop 30 evolution game the other eve on the UK Exiles server. No TK'ing assholes, nice buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Bf2 sniff beat online pc multiplayer by a mile. Have you tried L4D very good for teamwork when you get good 4 v 4 games where everyone is on talking.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Giving America's Army 3 a shot (first impressions aren't all that bad besides the fact that it's full of pre-teen American kids giving me 'orders') ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Thread is making me reinstall BF2 :pac:

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Thread is making me reinstall BF2 :pac:

Ahhhh....now I'm happy that this thread has done some good :)

p.s. 1.5 patch on it's way !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ahhhh....now I'm happy that this thread has done some good :)

p.s. 1.5 patch on it's way !

So is Duke Nukem

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So is Duke Nukem

lol :p

Seriously, the 1.5 patch (beta) is already out with servers running it including the new map.

thumb_dice_pic0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lol :p

Seriously, the 1.5 patch (beta) is already out with servers running it including the new map.

thumb_dice_pic0.jpg

yup 8 months or so its out, theres even new cheats made to work with the patch.

BF died a long time ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ill believe it when i see it.
    Im sure theyre busy working on Battlfield 3, and have long since given up on BF2

Advertisement