Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dating venues

Options
  • 10-07-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm taking a girl I'm really interested in on a date tomorrow night in Dublin. Problem is that I'm a Galway lad who spends little or no time here in Dublin so I haven't got a clue about nice bars or anything.

Hoping to bring her for a few drinks, anyone have any venue suggestions? Don't want somewhere too loud because we want to be able to talk, and maybe somewhere that won't be massively packed?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If you get in early the Hairy Lemon has some nooks and crannies, perfect for a bit of first date intimacy but not too quiet, music and chat in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Is she a Dub? If so maybe she'll have an idea of where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Price of a pint would make you weep but there's usually a lot of couples in Dakota.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

lightening wrote: »
    If you get in early the Hairy Lemon has some nooks and crannies, perfect for a bit of first date intimacy but not too quiet, music and chat in the background.

The Hairylemon is 5 quid a pint of Guinness during the day and rises in the evening.
    The owners should be taken into one of those nooks and roundly slapped for bringing a decent pub into scandalous disrepute. The righteous mob should then head around the corner to Neary's where much of the same should be meated out.

The Library in The Central isn't a bad spot for such a date (4.60 a pint).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Trinity Capital hotel on pearse st(beside the fire station) has a great bar to the right of the main entrance..actually pretty funky.They've got HUGELY expensive and OTT bronze statues and chandaliers and stuff as well as shelves full of books but the best thing is its really dark and never anybody in the place.
    The drinks arent badly priced either and its sort of cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I've been known to have a bit of success in The Church, but it may be jammers on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

humberklog wrote: »
    The Hairylemon is 5 quid a pint of Guinness during the day and rises in the evening.

It's a date, he doesn't want her to think he's cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Well the Hairy Lemon must have only started rising the prices in the evenings in the last 3 months. Before I left Dublin at that stage, I had never seen the prices go up at any time of the week.

Is it not usually places with a late license that puts prices up? The Hairy Lemon doesn't have a late license.. if that makes any difference to your choice of venue for a date..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Sin É on Ormond Quay is great if you get there early. It's dark and old looking but feels like a real pub as opposed to a restaurant/ venue, so it's great for talking. It can get really packed later on, but if you've been there for a while and have a good seat you'll be grand. There's often someone playing acoustic guitar early on and the bar girls aren't too bad either!! I once got into trouble for spending too much time chatting with one of them instead of my real date.....so maybe you shouldn't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

gwjones42 wrote: »
    Sin É on Ormond Quay is great if you get there early. It's dark and old looking but feels like a real pub as opposed to a restaurant/ venue, so it's great for talking. It can get really packed later on, but if you've been there for a while and have a good seat you'll be grand. There's often someone playing acoustic guitar early on and the bar girls aren't too bad either!! I once got into trouble for spending too much time chatting with one of them instead of my real date.....so maybe you shouldn't go!

I've been brought there on a few dates and had a great time. But it would depend on the girl. It's a studenty/touristy place. I like it coz of the mad people you meet in it when going to the bar. If she's more into 'flashy' places, Dakota (rip-off merchants!), Ron Blacks or Porterhouse in Templebar would be better.

I like the sound of that Trinity Capital Hotel bar!!! I shall be taking a look at that in the weeks to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Sin é is a great pub but I dont think it's suitable for a date.
    The last time I was in there we ended up only getting a table right beside the front door.
    The music was blaring and it was very hard to chat.
    Then when we managed to get a table up the steps some drunk came over and started slobbering over us. :o

Check out the Porthouse

Get yourself a bottle of red, a few tapas, and relax.

Advertisement