Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

database design advise

Options
  • 10-07-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I have just started a new job and I have been asked to look into a new way of storing the companies databases. At the moment, Microsoft access is used but it is a mess and is only accessible form one computer.

I have done some work on databases before, using access and MYSQL.

I am just looking for a bit of advise as to what would be the best type of database management system to use.

I would be looking for something that is accessible from more than one computer.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

How long is a piece of string?

To be honest I would say if they are already using Access the easy upgrade path would MS SQL Server. But then your talking about cost of licenses etc. Maybe even SQL Server express.

How is the DB used? I am guessing by the sounds of it its an Access application. How does the company see it being used after the upgrade? A new application or via the same access application?

Did you know you can access a Access DB from more than one PC? But not very well and once you hit about 5 users it grind to a crawl.

How mission critical are the DB's? If they go offline for any lenght of time how badly will it effect the business.

What sort of size are the DB's? A few Mb or a few gigs? Seeing as they are in access right now I am guessing small. But whats the predicted growth of the business.

How many concurrent users access these DB's? Is only one right now but how many would they like?

Whats the companies budget for purchasing licenses? Do they already have a license for SQL Server or another RDBMS?

Whats the skill set of the techies? MS/Linux etc. No point installing and setting up a *nix based solution if no one in there has a clue about keeping it running.

How open are they to open source solutions? Some places love open source, others wont let it in the door.

There are loads of options in terms of RDBMS (SQL Server, Oracle, DB2, MySQL etc etc) each has its advantages and associated costs. What you need to do is read up on them and select the best one based on the company's requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JamesAlex

its true, you have not given any details about the information being stored, how much you have to spend on it, how interactions with the db are going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

In the absence of more information, yeah, SQL Server Express may well suffice, assuming you've been surviving more or less on Access up to now.
    http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Cheers for the replies but it looks like im not gonna have to deal with this now. I think I was a bit out of my depth anyway but i was willing to give it a try.

Advertisement