Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree roots causing damage to paving

Options
  • 10-07-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

A small area at the bottom of my garden is covered with paving slabs. Over the last year or so, the slabs have started to move and the area is no longer level. Yesterday I lifted one of the slabs and found a thick root just below the surface. There is a large tree nearby and this seems to be the culprit.

It looks like a simple enough job to take up the paving slabs and cut and remove the roots in the area affected. But what will this do to the tree?

I am concerned also about the tree being near the dividing wall with our neighbours and their concrete shed which abuts onto the wall. If the roots are spreading near the surface of the surrounding ground, could they undermine the wall and the foundations of my neighbour's shed?

The tree is at the end of our garden and was there when we bought the house. It is about 50 feet high - it is certainly taller than the house. I have no idea what type of tree it is but the attached image might help identification.

My main concern is to restore the paved area, ideally without damaging the tree. However, if the tree itself is likely to cause further damage would I be better off getting rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats a silver birch.
    Nice tree but if it is causing hassle then drop it and plant something else.
    They can be the cause of a lot of allergies as well.
    I have 5 planted in a row well away from the house as they grow pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

CJ, thanks for identifying my tree. I probably will have it take down eventually but, for the moment, I'll focus on sorting out the root problem.

Advertisement