Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Bike Shop in Cork

• 10-07-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

What are the best bike shops in Cork? I've been trying to buy a new Trek bike in Dublin but there is a major shortage at the moment. It could be the same story in Cork but will look around anyway.

Even bike shops ouside of Cork City?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Capawell cycles had a 1.2 a while back also Kilroue cycles (spelling?). Try Victoria Cross Cycles first though.

The Edge tri shop on north main street dont stock trek but have a good range of nice bikes. There is a shop off shandon street, cant remember its name, it more low level stuff (the last time I went in there they described bikes by colour :)) but they may have treks.

I bought mine off Jim Caball Himself Ltd in Tralee 066-7121654 (not really a top bike shop but they are nice enough) I think they bought a lorry load of treks at the start of the season so give him a buzz.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

You can try Henessy cycles (025 30913) in Fermoy. 20 miles from the city they stock treks all year round.
    They had a 5.2 and a 1.7 in stock last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

If you want a really good shop in Cork talk to either Douglas Cycles ask for Brian or speedy Spokes down in riverstick out of all the shops in Cork he really does know what he is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Tony Angelino

Thanks for all the info.

Is speedy spokes the shop in Belgooly or is there another one in Riverstick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Its new in Riverstick its owned by the same guy the owns douglas cycles its a really cool shop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hillclimber

Speedyspokes is in a new unit behind the chipper in Riverstick. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Tony Angelino

I just thought I'd let ye know how I found the places that I visited. In general they were all very good to deal with but as with everywhere else at the moment they did not have a bike to sell that is in my range.

Victoria Cross, Capwell, Edge, Carrigaline and Riverstick were very good to deal with. There were no bikes in Victoria Cross and Carrigaline and only a Claud Butler in Capwell (I might investigate this bike further). The Edge were for more serious cyclists but the staff were very friendly. In Riverstick the guy was also very friendly and was willing to build a bike for me within my budget and I may go back to him yet.

I also visited the shop just off Shandon Street. The guy in there was OK to deal with but they were out of all decent road bikes as well.

I also visited the shop on Kyle Street, they had a trek 1.5 in there but the guy I dealt with didn't seem to be that bothered about me and was not willing to do any deal so I left. I have picked up an injury that will put me out of action for a while so I am in no rush to buy.

I haven't been to or rang the other shops that were recommended in Fermoy or Tralee but I might give them a shout and keep ye posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Speedyspokes is in a new unit behind the chipper in Riverstick. Well worth a look.

+1
    Went in there today - got a new chain and cassette. They could not have been nicer and their prices were pretty much on a par with crc. No charge for putting on cassette/chain either - only problem was their tempting cervelo bikes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Yes, the barrack street one would have Treks's but not really roadbikes. The one on Kyle street seem good but the people there don't really talk (grumpy).
    I bring my bike to VC cycles because it is near where I live, I like them better than the Kyle street one, and the guy in there actually wants to sell you something (which is good, I guess) They seem to have a good range of bikes in there but of all different brands. He wouldn't have 10 Trek's on display.

I should give those others a try as well

• Registered Users Posts: 48 viperventoux

Cycle scene on Blarney street is excellent and although they do not have a massive selection of road bikes they are a trek dealer and I would have to say for speedy no nonsence repairs at a reasonable price they are A1. No BS unlike some other Cork cycling shops. they can get trek quickly enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Good range of Ridgeback's in Victoria Cross, not a Trek but not a bad choice.

Got a Flight01 last week and loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Find Westend Cycles in Ballincollig a grand place to deal with, owner Noel Holmes is grand to chat with and will ring up reps about stock levels etc no problem.

If you drop in a bike for repair they usually have it done by the end of the day.

S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I was in the shop in Riverstick for the first time today, nice shop good selection of gear and the owner was friendly and very helpful!

Picked up Giordana jersey and shorts, the Assos gear was tempting but I dont clock up enough mileage to justify it :oyet!

I was under pressure for time so I'll be back there over the weekend for a few more bits and a good look around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

happy_73 wrote: »
    Find Westend Cycles in Ballincollig a grand place to deal with, owner Noel Holmes is grand to chat with and will ring up reps about stock levels etc no problem.

If you drop in a bike for repair they usually have it done by the end of the day.

S

Ya best shop in Cork I think. Legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Kilgrews have expanded their shop recently so might be worth a browse. VC are top for customer service imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

alanucc wrote: »
    VC are top for customer service imo.

Really? Every time I'm in there, all staff seem to 'out the back' fixing bikes and I've stood around for too long before poking my head in the door and giving them a shout. They're nice enough when they come out, though.

My local lbs is good (An Rother in Midleton) although they're absolutely blasted at the moment due to the nice weather and every johnny walker coming in to buy a bike on the cycle to work scheme (cough!)

I see above that SpeedySpokes has ASOS gear? Is that right? I really wanna try on some bib shorts before buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

Edge Sports have some Assos gear in shop - but not online. Got the Mille bibs in there last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Just got Assos bibtights and long sleeved jersey in Speedyspokes, worked out cheaper than getting them from Slanecycles, well happy with that!

Cant wait to try them out tomorrow:D

Advertisement