Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1/4 mile drag race events?

• 10-07-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭

Are there any legal, orgainsed 1/4 mile drag race events in or around Dublin this August?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Unfortunately not, but they do have them up in Bishopstown but the track is very rough IMO plus it's a bitch of a drive from Newry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Yea, I was reading about the Bishopstown which was on the 5th July made me think! why is this not in or anywhere near Dublin!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yea, I was reading about the Bishopstown which was on the 5th July made me think! why is this not in or anywhere near Dublin!?

I know the road at the back of the gym in Leopardstown Racecourse was marked out for 1/4 mile, but I don't think that was either organised, nor legal.

Nice long, straight, flat, smooth tarmac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

R.O.R wrote: »
    I know the road at the back of the gym in Leopardstown Racecourse was marked out for 1/4 mile, but I don't think that was either organised, nor legal.

Nice long, straight, flat, smooth tarmac.
    Do you mean the road from the motorway? I'm fairly sure that has ramps on it..

Anan1 wrote: »

Last time I went down it in 2006 it didn't. Unfortunately I was on my way somewhere so didn't get chance to test the 1/4 mile on the Pajero Sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

You will have to take my word on it, but I do plenty of "practice runs" on any abandoned straights of flat tarmac I find, but I do fancy doing something a bit more organised/legal and getting an official time for a change!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »

It does, and pretty steep ones too.

eoin wrote: »
    It does, and pretty steep ones too.

Wonder if that's anything to do with it being marked out for 1/4 mile drag races and covered in rubber tyre marks not long after it opened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bishopscourt is your only option unfortunately.

There does be track days at Mondello but no dragging.

Someone mention a drag strip being created somewhere down south over on DTD awhile ago but I cant remember where or even if the claimed turned out to be genuine.

Bishopcourt gets a fair gathering each time its on so I dont understand why one down South isn't opened.

Join http://www.dtdirl.com , its got a drag racing forum, loads of info there

The reason there's not one down south is a) insurance and b) scroates in civics. :(

Awful pitty - Santa Pod is a cracking venue, very well organised and great value. You can lash up the strip all day long for £20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Whats "scroates in civics" got to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the Custom and Performance show in Limerick racecourse are doing a 1/4 mile this year. I did it last year, and the surface was very uneven, track was really wet with lots of standing water, and they only let 1 car go at a time.

It's on in September

draffodx wrote: »
    Whats "scroates in civics" got to do with it?

They should have nothing to do with ANY event! Unfortunately the likes of this attracts them and just turns everybody off. Real enthusiasts in Modded Rice Rockets are cool, but their Wannabe buddies give such a bad name to motorsport of any discription!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I wonder how much it would cost to put together a decent quarter mile circuit..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

How much would it cost to close about a half mile of decent straight road for one night a month? What do the Gardaí want to police it? What will it cost for health and safety/ambulance presence?

Divide by the number of participants expected... then add your markup... Make money.

Dartz wrote: »
    How much would it cost to close about a half mile of decent straight road for one night a month? What do the Gardaí want to police it? What will it cost for health and safety/ambulance presence?

Divide by the number of participants expected... then add your markup... Make money.

Wish it was that easy! There's a gang of us going over to Santa Pod the weekend after next and travel alone is gonna cost us the price of a good holiday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It would be the insurance here thats the problem. there is defo enough interest to sustain one such venue in the country. Im sure it would be full all weekend every weekend.
    Mondello could easily fit in a 1/4 mile strip and Im sure they would do it if it was feasible.
    Insurance must be higher for this than other motorsport with all the random cars taking part

Advertisement