Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ISP

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hey.

We are currently with BT for phone and broadband, Broadband & Total Talk 3mb.

I have noticed lately that BT's DNS servers have been horribile lately, and my most frequently used sites won't open unless I use a proxy.

We are well out of any contract, so can anyone recommend a new ISP to move to (incl. phone)?

The maximum speed our line supports is 7.6mb and there is no fibre in the area. Low pings and a fairly big FUP are a must.

The area is Drogheda, Louth.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Have you got UPC in the area? If so, check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Nope, no UPC :(

They would have been my first choice, as we have TV with them so it would work out cheaper and easier having all of it under 1 bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

If it is just the DNS Server you are having problems with you could change it to OpenDNS or one of the Verizon/GTE servers.

I generally use the Verizon/GTE servers as I found them better than OpenDNS's as they don't force certain settings and features upon you.

I'm not really interested in changing the DNS servers, I'm sick of BT at this stage, everything about them. I mean, have you tried there tech support? Took them 4 days and 8 phone calls to get my user and pass for ppoe connection..

Any help appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jor el wrote: »
    They only do broadband (up to 7.6mb) and not phone. The broadband is pricey seeing as you can't call anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

CutzEr wrote: »
    They only do broadband (up to 7.6mb) and not phone. The broadband is pricey seeing as you can't call anyone.

Yes they do phone

Yes they do phone
    Yeah really? Shall I believe magnet or pizza?

Yeah really? Shall I believe magnet or pizza?

Depends on whether you're on one of their LLU exchanges or not.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Depends on whether you're on one of their LLU exchanges or not.
    And i'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

So eircom phone and eircom Bitstream resold by whoever you go with.

watty wrote: »
    So eircom phone and eircom Bitstream resold by whoever you go with.
    So does it really matter who I go with then?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are difference in efficiency of billing, customer service, DNS, Cap, maybe even peering & routing.

Digiweb, Imagine, Perlico/Vodafone, Imagine/IBB, BT, UTV, Magnet, Smart and others re-sell bitstream.

Some such as Digiweb & Perlico/Vodafone may offer call bundles at better price than eircom voice calls. From most Bitstream DSL ISPs now you can transfer the voice/line rental and have a single bill.

It depends on exactly the sort of package you want. Reliability or a high Cap might not be the same ISP. Customer Service might not matter if nothing goes wrong or you don't need any special support.

The chances of me needing support is very low.

A cap of at least 100GB will be needed, and I would want the maximum speed available, 7.6mb.

Under €70 p/m.

The only operators I know of that specifically allow more than 100GB a month, are UTV, Smart and Magnet. All the others have caps below 80GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 azsummer

I was with BT but changed to UTV for calls/internet 4 months ago.. it's the same kinda service BT offers but much better and cheaper in my opinion... BT Broadband was always slowing up and lagging for me, UTV is far in front of them, i'm on the 'unlimited usage package' for 5 euro extra a month, (First 3 months free) i'm very happy with them... I still have my free UK landline calls with my UTV package, that was very important...so all is good. :D

Hey.

We are currently with BT for phone and broadband, Broadband & Total Talk 3mb.

I have noticed lately that BT's DNS servers have been horribile lately, and my most frequently used sites won't open unless I use a proxy.

We are well out of any contract, so can anyone recommend a new ISP to move to (incl. phone)?

The maximum speed our line supports is 7.6mb and there is no fibre in the area. Low pings and a fairly big FUP are a must.

The area is Drogheda, Louth.

I'll go with UTV internet so :) Thanks.

Advertisement