Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7yr Old doesn't like childare..AGAIN!

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My son is 7 and going into 2nd class in Sept.

I have worked f/t since he started school, when he had a childminder. However, after about a year, he really didn't like it there anymore, spent most evenings crying that he had to go back the next day (for the last few weeks) and so I looked for an alternative. She had no other kids and he spent alot of time looking at TV etc so I wasn't that happy myself tbh.

I found another great CM who had her own kids and my son just loved it there. We were there for about a year too and then my son began to really hate it - he was having a problem with her 6yr old. It was a genuine problem which I tried to sort (with the CM) but I eventually decided to try him in an afterschool club, run by the school, as I thought an environment with more kids might suit him better.

So he started there last February and again, loved it...however, recently, he has begun to complain that he doesn't like it...he has genuine reasons etc and I'm trying to deal with him and encourage him etc etc, but this morning he went in crying. He's in a summer camp this week so the afterschool are only dropping him and picking him up and he's only there for an hour and a half.

I'm at my wits end. I don't want to change his childminding situation every year just because he's getting bored with it (which appears to be what's happening). And yet, like I said, he has genuine reasons for not liking these situations so I have to take them seriously...I know that summer (in general) is harder for him because he's out playing in evenings and is tired in mornings etc etc, and getting him out of bed in the mornings is a nightmare.
    Has anyone else been through this situation and what did you do?????

I know that ultimately, he'll always want to be with me (dad not involved) and not with a child minder but I have to work and have no alternative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP,

How much have you really investigated what his issues were at each place he was being minded? Children can often 'invent' situations - I don't mean he may have been lying..but a few hours at a childminders or an afterschool club for a young child, can sometimes seem like an eternity. Perhaps you have given him the message that if he says he doesn't like someone/someplace, you'll give him attention? Is it an attention (from you) issue do you think? Or do you genuinely believe that there were real reasons for moving him each time?

Advertisement