Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downloaded POIs - how reliable?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Was in Italy for a couple of weeks and it my first time abroad using a SatNav.

We were arriving in Milan Airport around 11AM but couldn't check into our campsite (90 minutes away) until 5PM.

Because we had so much time to spare, we thought it would be a good idea to stop somewhere where we could get something to eat and stock up on some supplies.

So, I downloaded a set of POIs showing Carrefour stores in Italy and found that there was one roughly on our route. Jobs oxo. I also downloaded another general set of POIs for the area and this incidentally also contained a POI for this Carrefour.

Anyway, I arrive at the Airport, pick up the car, stick the SatNav on the window and head off on my expedition following the instructions to a T. After about an hour, the chequered flag appears and suddenly I'm being directed down a small country road and was told I had arrived at my destination.

But, there was no Carrefour in sight - only a couple of trees.

So I check the other POI and this points to another place altogether about 4Km away. I follow but this does not lead me to the Carrefour either.

Eventually we asked someone who kindly led us to the right place.

It turns out that one POI had led us over 5Km out of the way and the other 1.5km out of the way.

In fairness though, this really was the only problem we had, but I learned a lesson not to over rely on the Sat Nav.

So my question is how reliable are downloaded POIs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Was it a POI made by a user or a POI made by a company?

The only answer to this question is: it depends on who made the POI file.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sometimes these kinds of POI files (i.e. lists of all outlets for a specific store chain) can be automatically generated based on post codes extracted from the addresses on companies web sites for example. Add into the equation that some countries post codes are very non-specific and one post code can cover quite a large area, maybe that was the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Was it a POI made by a user or a POI made by a company?

The only answer to this question is: it depends on who made the POI file.

Don't know to be honest - they were downloaded from http://www.gps-data-team.com/gps-poi.php.

In fairness, all the other POIs that I used were spot on.

I think the moral of the story is not to trust them 100% but have some form of backup such as a route planner or the names of nearby streets .

Advertisement