Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listen to Joe Duffy today(10/7/09)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Sherifu wrote: »
    Back onto WOW again. Saddos.

What is it about Joseph Fritzl makes him your Idol, if I may ask?

Seems slightly strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 timmyotoole

lol subliminal messages in wow,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I rang them up there, told them my story, I might get a call back, should be fun :)

I don't agree with the origional caller calling people sad for playing the game. I am sure she does some things that most would consider to be sad. That's not fair really.

SUbliminal messages in WoW. Perhaps the caller should have his son checked out by doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

Greetings young traveler !

Ok kid now your parents have stopped looking at the screen I want you to get your parents credit card and enter the details here :P

How subliminal can you get

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Heard the last 15 mins of this just had to laugh at the two gob****es at the end branding gaming evil.
    To think one of them was drip feeding his son with wow by subbing then unsubbing on and off over time, i mean FFS thats evil in itself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Has this been discussed anywhere else on Boards?

Plenty of scaremongering there, wish there could have been a more leveled discussion. How about bringing one of their sons on, see what they have to say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Larkin501 wrote: »
    good man Ronan. :pac:

I hate the way she's saying 'it's sad'. It's only a game. Same way people get thrills from solving a rubik's cube or something like that,
    I'm a wow player...sitting in work..reading this...solving a rubiks cube :( all hope is lost isn't it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I thought it was funny when some lad got on going yea i play you get guns and keep ranking up and up it never ends and i was thinking thats not warcraft ! then he goes im addicted to call of duty 4 !! :pac:

I have to say tho if i had kids i wouldnt let them touch a mmo i knew a guy on bloodhoof from holland he got sent to some rehab clinic because he couldnt stop playing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Will someone please think of the children?!
    She's the sad one here.
    What an utter opinionated biatch she was who loved the sound of her own voice. I had to switch stations because I couldn't listen to that self righteous crap any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I think we posted links a while back to a story about how some guy died because he was too busy playing to bother eating. Im sure that happened with counter strike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

a woman who uses "dr phil" to educate her kids (she doesn't watch dr phil she just happened to watch it that day :rolleyes: ) calling people sad....those kids have bigger problems than gaming addictions.

they're also born to moronic parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Had something on so couldn't get around to listening, looking forward to the podcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

You know I meant ot listen to that but I said to myself, one more bg....

What day is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I guess everyone should conform to what she considers normal. And that it's Blizzard's fault for her being a total failure as a parent.

It's easy to blame other's for your own shortcoming's, and this eejit is only happy to brand anyone who has an interest in something outside what she thinks as "normal" sad.

Maybe she should send her childern out to play with the traffic. Or god forbid get off her lazy fat a$$ and bring them to the scouts/football/martial art's/boxing/rugby/gaelic/fishing etc etc etc....... But id say she is more than happy sitting at home on her oversized a$$ blaming the world for the fact she looks like the back of a bus.

I know if my little fella ever take's an interest in WoW, that i'll be closely monitoring the time he is allowed to play on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I emailed in correcting some facts, they emailed me back asking me to talk on air but I had to catch a bus so couldn't

I Though they could have used the opinion of a player who is
    17 years old, a girl, and not addicted. Actually I could have given plenty of tips on how I avoid addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Oh bloody hell.

Someone should have asked her if she comes home and watched soaps for 2/3 hours an evening. I'd consider that quite sad and a waste of time.

To each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

caught it in work, listen to joe (damo) every day and soon as it started all the lads in work started bombardin me with emails "world of gaycraft on joe duffy, quick quick" haha

but the woman was blaming her failures as a parent on a game.

yes the games addicitive but it takes an addictive personality for it to escalate.

give an addictive kid anyhting with a bit of depth to it and they will wind up hooked.

and yes, it is aimed at an older audience.

non wow players can never understand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

appreciate if anyone can throw up a link where they normally sort the podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

Personally I would never let my kid's play this game, not until at least 17. Why? It's clearly an addictive game on so many levels and exposure to this at a young age, as in below 14, will not only give your child an addictive personality at the weakest point of their lives in terms of peer pressure (How many people have started smoking and doing dupe between the ages of 14-17??? I doubt I need to show stats for that) But it will also make them out of touch with reality. Now I have first hand of experience of this as my younger brother who is at the moment 9 he also suffers with very mild autism and I think I'm the only one who actually notices in my family but he is clearly addicted to the game legend of zelda on the Wii..... Now this game imo has nothing on WoW yet its very much so based on the same things (Bows, arrows, swords, potions, sheilds etc except WoW goes deeper than that and into more detail.) I fear the day he grows old enough to find out about WoW and wishes to try it out I really do. I'm just happy I'm not at home anymore so I dont have to worry about myself exposing him....He is totally engrossed with it, he believes its based on an ancient story that really took place in acient times in Greece even after much explanation of the title term "Legend". This imo show's all games are addictive in one form or another so all this blame cant be blamed on WoW. It is only put on a pedestal as it is so successful and popular.

Then there is the argument "Well at least my kid is not on the streets doing drugs etc" and this is a very valid point. I would stand by it if I had my own kid's but it would be moderated to some degree and definatly not be below the age of 17 / 18 (tests time) WoW should be treated the same as going for a drink, some people enjoy a glass a wine with their dinner, and some people go out on the pi$$ every night of the week but if you can control this and not let it control you then why not do it if your enjoying it?

Now onto the remark this caller made saying she knows some adults engrossed in it... I can never understand this, why is it there is such a barrier with the generation below us? When ever this argument is brought up I always say to them "Ok, so your saying you have a problem with me playing a game for 4 hours at a time with 10 min breaks every hour...." Normally people would go "Yes. Obviously!" then I ask "So if I was playing chess online for 4 hours in a row with my buddy down the road whom I could easilly play chess with irl but it's just more conviant to play online in the comfort of my home, would you have a problem then?" They get stuck, they cant answer it as it's correct in a sense. Now everybody needs to face to face confrontation but not all the time, sometime people need time alone too ya know, I personally go out twice a week and I'd never let WoW effect my social life and if it ever did I'd take a break like one should, but people who are not educated on the subject they are complaining about.... If they were they would realise WoW does have a quite a social aspect to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

AaronFitz wrote: »
    Personally I would never let my kid's play this game, not until at least 17. Why? It's clearly an addictive game on so many levels and exposure to this at a young age, as in below 14, will not only give your child an addictive personality at the weakest point of their lives in terms of peer pressure (How many people have started smoking and doing dupe between the ages of 14-17??? I doubt I need to show stats for that) But it will also make them out of touch with reality. Now I have first hand of experience of this as my younger brother who is at the moment 9 he also suffers with very mild autism and I think I'm the only one who actually notices in my family but he is clearly addicted to the game legend of zelda on the Wii..... Now this game imo has nothing on WoW yet its very much so based on the same things (Bows, arrows, swords, potions, sheilds etc except WoW goes deeper than that and into more detail.) I fear the day he grows old enough to find out about WoW and wishes to try it out I really do. I'm just happy I'm not at home anymore so I dont have to worry about myself exposing him....He is totally engrossed with it, he believes its based on an ancient story that really took place in acient times in Greece even after much explanation of the title term "Legend". This imo show's all games are addictive in one form or another so all this blame cant be blamed on WoW. It is only put on a pedestal as it is so successful and popular.

Then there is the argument "Well at least my kid is not on the streets doing drugs etc" and this is a very valid point. I would stand by it if I had my own kid's but it would be moderated to some degree and definatly not be below the age of 17 / 18 (tests time) WoW should be treated the same as going for a drink, some people enjoy a glass a wine with their dinner, and some people go out on the pi$$ every night of the week but if you can control this and not let it control you then why not do it if your enjoying it?

Now onto the remark this caller made saying she knows some adults engrossed in it... I can never understand this, why is it there is such a barrier with the generation below us? When ever this argument is brought up I always say to them "Ok, so your saying you have a problem with me playing a game for 4 hours at a time with 10 min breaks every hour...." Normally people would go "Yes. Obviously!" then I ask "So if I was playing chess online for 4 hours in a row with my buddy down the road whom I could easilly play chess with irl but it's just more conviant to play online in the comfort of my home, would you have a problem then?" They get stuck, they cant answer it as it's correct in a sense. Now everybody needs to face to face confrontation but not all the time, sometime people need time alone too ya know, I personally go out twice a week and I'd never let WoW effect my social life and if it ever did I'd take a break like one should, but people who are not educated on the subject they are complaining about.... If they were they would realise WoW does have a quite a social aspect to it...
    With all due respect, using your mildly autistic brother as an example of how pc games/WoW is addictive is completely biased at the very least. If he read a book for that time, would he be addicted to books? An addiction implies a physical need. I dont see how you can be physically addicted to a pc game. You can enjoy it immensely, and throw a hissy fit until your parents comply and let you play it - but addicted you aint.

As for the rest of your post, that just seems to counter your original argument.
    Furthermore, if parents took an interest in their child and played with them or took a hand in their entertainment - then kids might not be so ready to go spend 4-5 hours playing a PC game to keep entertained. It's the responsibility and the fault of the parent, for leaving their child to be babysat by their computer, not the fault of the developers because their game is so damn addictive/evil...

I used him as an example as with his mindset he is far more susceptible to develop an addictive personality, and yes he is addicted to certain books (I'v being told every time when I go home about his book on gem's he reads constantly but that is off topic. When anything appeals to him it becomes part of he routine.... That's how it works.

Also a book is a terrible example as a comparable stimuli to a game, fixed plot Vs I can do what every I want hold no value... Yes in the game there is only one way to clear it so to speak but nothing is stopping you from doing things your way.

Addiction can occur in any way or form, educate yourself on it, you claim you don't see how people can become physically addicted to a game. You can become addicted to eating my friend, for the very same reason, it released endorphins, which although aren't addictive, the effect they cause which people would normally associate with feeling good is, why would you not want to feel good all the time? There's some people who are addicted to plucking hairs from their body and have raw nostrils and eyebrows even eyelashes, don't believe me? Look it up.... Anything that creates a sence of satisfaction or feel good emotion can become addictive.

So what you are saying, is people are addicted to feeling good. Not addicted to video games. Or am I missing something?

Also please do point out where I contradicted myself anywhere? I stated clearly I would not let my children play until a certain age pretty much for the same reason I would not let them drink. This same brother I referred to is in kickboxing and swimming so trying to pawn it off on the parent for not entertaining the child is also wrong, that holds no argument either, he still play's zelda i'd say with 85% of his free time despite clearing it already.... Thats not addiction? k

Why do people thrive to get the best gear and the best rank and the best xyz in WoW?

When you play a game and clear it, why do 90% of people feel the need to find all hidden content? In a game achievements (which thats right make you feel good) Will keep pulling you back, feeling good makes you do something over and over, people do coke over and over not because they think it looks cool, its cause the buzz, which they cant get in normal life so they take it despite of its effects. This is by no means comparable to WoW in one way but it clearly is in many. People dont spend hours infront of a PC cause they have nothing better to do, just think about what your saying, why would anyone person sit in one place for 3-4 hours other than the fact they are enjoying themselves, being compleatly drawen into becoming better and better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Aw, I'm late and missed all of this.
    I started playing Football Manager Live a couple days ago and haven't even thought about Wow (or got much sleep either tbh...) - going to cancel my Wow accounts this weekend. I don't even like football really ffs :confused:

Best way to sum it up for those that wouldn't understand it is that gaming, in particular online gaming with all it's social aspects, is the newer generations replacement for sitting down and pigging out in front of the TV for hours, usually just watching crap.

Actually that's a tad simplistic, replace "gaming" with "computing" and it might be a bit better, so as to include those of us who started in the early days with spectrums/orics/atari, progressing to Amiga's and then, sadly, PC's or Macs (spit!) and indeed consoles and portables...

All of them progressing on to bigger (or smaller!) and better versions/improvements and/or ingenuities as and to what the public themselves wanted and asked for.

Each of the above going off on their own tangent and speciality in and of itself. Gaming progressing from single player to multiplayer, to MMO's and the pinacle of MMO's really now being World of Warcraft (previously PlanetSide imho or EvercrackQuest).

As the TV has been used as a cheap babysitting tool for others, for others still it has progressed to the games instead - as believe it or not, most young people think TV & reading books are just bloody boring when you've so many other options available to you to while away your time on.
    Others still when older, turn to drink and drugs - not because of any personal addictive nature but because they're bored and have nothing else available for them to do or life itself sucks balls for them, or so they think anyway (or in most cases it probably really does).

The high you get from the likes of hard drugs takes you mentally and physically away from what you yourself deem as a shítty life and you will become physically addicted to that high, so much so that your body and mind cannot do without the drugs and the high you get once you are addicted, the high just becomes normal.

If WoW were ended tomorrow or taken away from you, no matter how engrossed you might be in the game - you wouldn't end up in agony on the floor rolling around shítting and pissing on yourself screaming in pain because your mind and body needs to play wow, like you would if you were going cold turkey from Heroin for example.
    No, you'll just say "ah fúck it, I'll go watch some TV or browse the interwebs..."

It is NOT addictive, it is just very, very enjoyable but there is or will be better to come, both games wise and computing wise - who knows, maybe some day we'll all just plug our brains into some virtual world.

In ending and backing up some of what Ivan said, If you can't be arsed to involve yourself in your kids' lives and provide them with alternative options to games (wow or otherwise) then you've only yourself as a parent to blame.

It's both a lame excuse and stupidly lazy to blame your own misgivings as a parent on the stand-in babysitter your kids have taken a liking too because you as a parent have been missing from a part of their lives both emotionally and physically.

Now, I'm off to play FM live some more, servers are back up after the early morning maintenance...

Sleep ? wtf is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Nehaxak wrote: »
    It is NOT addictive, it is just very, very enjoyable but there is or will be better to come, both games wise and computing wise - who knows, maybe some day we'll all just plug our brains into some virtual world.

I agree with much of this, but it is wrong to say that the game is not addictive. Sure it's not a "Physical Addiction". Your body does not rely on a game to function. But you can absolutely become "Mentally Addicted" to it.

There have been times where I have been sick of WOW and not getting any enjoyment from it, but still I would log in, and just stand around in game, despite the fact that I had much better things I could be doing. I have also let down friends/family because of the game at times, ending up wasting an evening standing in Orgrimmar instead of meeting them for example. In hindsight this makes no sense to me and I cannot explain this in any other way other than I am most likely "addicted" to the game.

The fact remains though, that there are many things in life that people can get addicted to. This is just one of the latest ones, a clueless old bag wouldn't get onto Liveline to discuss her teenager being addicted to television or smoking these days, but this is "new" to Irish media and therefore she gets onto the radio. It's tedious to have to listen to this kind of sensationalism, and I must admit that I had to stop listening. It is not Blizzard's fault that parents do not how to limit their child's exposure to this, or any other game, it's parenting failure.

• Advertisement

Personally, I think just because you enjoy something, even if it's so much so that it seems weird to other people, doesnt automatically mean you are addicted. People throw that phrase around too much. So much so that I think smokers and alcoholics should be pissed off.

My mother enjoys Home and Away. She'll plan her day around seeing it every day, regardless of where she is or what she's doing. Is she addicted or does she just really like the stupid tv show and gets a certain amount of pleasure from watching the inane plots develop?

I also really, really enjoy having sex. So much so that I would neglect anything else in my life, to secure it... does that make me an addict? Honestly people, the idea that someone is addicted to a computer game is somewhat offensive to me.

Give someone a better computer game to the one they are playing and they demonstrate how unaddictive games are. Give a drug addict something other than their drug of choice and watch what happens ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement