Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listen to Joe Duffy today(10/7/09)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭AaronFitz

What I am saying is, what occurs when lets say an adult who lets for example say is 38, single, living in a flat on their own goes out and buys the game, enjoys it immensly and has the free time to warrent playing at least 8-10 hours of lets just say 4 days a week? Adults are just as easy to drag into WoW as a child once you let it catch a hold of you. (They got Ozzy to do an add for a reason, alot of people from that era will find that add appealing even though half of them dont even know what an MMO is, but some will, and some will try it and some will get attached to the game just as a "Spoiled kid" would but they are not spoilted due to the fact they control their own life, they decide when enough is enough, but what if enough is clearly to much?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Ivan wrote: »
    I also really, really enjoy having sex. So much so that I would neglect anything else in my life, to secure it... does that make me an addict?

You're soooo cool! None of us other gamers have had sex, what's it like?

We're all just like that fat guy in the south park episode "Make love, not warcraft." Stuck in a chair, in front of a rig with nothing but Dorito's to make us feel good.

Wow, sex, amazing.
    Good for you pal.

Also I compleatly agree that it is a terrible thing when an adult cannot define where the line is, but it happens all the time, addiction is not limited to youngsters / teen's, its peer presure that gets less with age not the effect something has on your mind. I am personally 20 years old, I doubt I will ever stop enjoying gaming, even when I'm old, if I have time to warrent I will play WoW, but thanks to an earlier experiance and realisation of addiction I now know that other things should get priorty but jesus man it took a fook load of effort for me to overcome that it really did. Not trying to warrent sympathy here, just stating that it took the loss of many grade's threats of being throwen out of home, my girlfirend at the time, it took all that for realisation, you could of called it the addicts rock bottom of gaming and TBH if i had none of those factors in my life (parents, girlfriend, grades) i.e if I picked up WoW now I would be in the stage I was about 2.5 years ago... Luckly hitting the peak of my addiction with those factors around me made me learn to control it, and just live first then live second, and if you have zilch to do then consider playing WoW

AaronFitz wrote: »
    What I am saying is, what occurs when lets say an adult who lets for example say is 38, single, living in a flat on their own goes out and buys the game, enjoys it immensly and has the free time to warrent playing at least 8-10 hours of lets just say 4 days a week? Adults are just as easy to drag into WoW as a child once you let it catch a hold of you. (They got Ozzy to do an add for a reason, alot of people from that era will find that add appealing even though half of them dont even know what an MMO is, but some will, and some will try it and some will get attached to the game just as a "Spoiled kid" would but they are not spoilted due to the fact they control their own life, they decide when enough is enough, but what if enough is clearly to much?

Again, I reckon the case you are describing is kind of extreme. A guy, near 40, living in a flat alone, his only joy is WoW.
    In that case, he should just go for it. If he hasn't got anything else in his life, then playing lots and lots of WoW won't disrupt anything else.

Also, Ozzy, an ex-heroine addict, I'm not sure. Does he support or detract from your arguement...?
    That's a question for a philosopher.

Also I compleatly agree that it is a terrible thing when an adult cannot define where the line is, but it happens all the time, addiction is not limited to youngsters / teen's, its peer presure that gets less with age not the effect something has on your mind. I am personally 20 years old, I doubt I will ever stop enjoying gaming, even when I'm old, if I have time to warrent I will play WoW, but thanks to an earlier experiance and realisation of addiction I now know that other things should get priorty but jesus man it took a fook load of effort for me to overcome that it really did. Not trying to warrent sympathy here, just stating that it took the loss of many grade's threats of being throwen out of home, my girlfirend at the time, it took all that for realisation, you could of called it the addicts rock bottom of gaming and TBH if i had none of those factors in my life (parents, girlfriend, grades) i.e if I picked up WoW now I would be in the stage I was about 2.5 years ago...

I'm not trying to go on the offense here, but from what you describe I would say your case is pretty extreme. I think that it suggests your case is that of someone with a personality that can become addicted to such things, that doesn't necessarily mean that the game itself is at fault.

I say "extreme" a lot in these posts.

• Advertisement

But thats the thing, I dont have an addictive personality, I'v smoked cig's and its greener friend and enjoyed it, I still do but rarely cause it just was not me, alcohol is the same I drink, but I never binged, never would never will, I go out 2x a week mostly but sometimes I dont even drink. I blame it more so on my guild TBH, at the time we were heavy progression, I not only felt the need to play other people were relying on my appearence also, and these people were all just like me. I cannot describe it tbh but the good part is that thank god I burned out early cause if I dident I would not of beaten it :p

Which bring's me to my point, if it can happen to me, your average normal everyday guy, ladyloving, drink enjoying lad who got a 425 in his leaving and is doing biochem in collage, what the hell is stopping it from happening to anyone.... Hence why I feel so strongly on the topic, I believe it is addictive, but now that I learnt how it is also easy to control.

(Edit) Yes I am well awear what your doing in life does not effect how you cope with diffrent situations however I would consider myself mentally capable and more aware than some guy who is living on the streets to deal with an addiction, to my dismay I'm not and I think this goes for a huge majority of people, you may think your more able but everyone is at = risk when it comes to addiction imo....

TheDoc wrote: »
    Matt Coopers research team have me as a contact for gaming,airsoft and few other things. They did a piece on Wrath of the lich king when it came out and was much more informative, factual and focused solely on the game and how its popularity. A show like Matt Cooper is usually more factual, yes less dramatic, but a show listened to by the educated populace.

Still catching up on the older posts, well said Doc. Matt Cooper should have got the Late, Late Show.
    Also he should be Taoiseach.
    Also, I kinda, sorta wish he was my Dad.

If everyone listened to him, and read the Irish Times, this country would rule the world.

Which bring's me to my point, if it can happen to me, your average normal everyday guy, ladyloving, drink enjoying lad who got a 425 in his leaving and is doing biochem in collage, what the hell is stopping it from happening to anyone.... Hence why I feel so strongly on the topic, I believe it is addictive, but now that I learnt how it is also easy to control.

I'M DOING BIOCHEM TOO!!! Freaky.
    Well, assuming everything you've said is true. I'm stumped.
    If I have a game I'm really into, it's no problem to skip it for a few days or weeks. However, if I had a bit of tobacco's greener friend sitting in my drawer, I wouldn't have the willpower to leave it alone till it was all gone ( though I must stress that doesn't mean I head out and buy more! haven't done that in a long, long time).

Apart from the point that me smoking never became an issue with friends, family, or girlfriends, it's a similar compulsion to what you had with WoW.

I wouldn't consider myself addicted to the green, but I'll admit I binge.

Do you reckon if you had a months subscription to WoW, you'd hit it hard, then not bother re-subscribing? I suppose you could call that a binge.
    If you had to immediately buy another month, it's fair to say addiction.

smithcity wrote: »
    Also, Ozzy, an ex-heroine addict, I'm not sure. Does he support or detract from your arguement...?
    That's a question for a philosopher.

This is Signature quality, kudo's to you my friend :p

• Advertisement

Do you reckon if you had a months subscription to WoW, you'd hit it hard, then not bother re-subscribing? I suppose you could call that a binge.
    If you had to immediately buy another month, it's fair to say addiction.

I would of, and to this day I keep WoW topped up subscription wise, not really by choice but cause it's on my Visa (robbing scum) but I'v cut it down now to about 3 hours a day for raid's / pvp rank sometimes I'd go to tralee with my girl and stay with her family for a week come back and might not touch it for a day then I could play for like 6-8 hours and thats pretty much it atm.

This is Signature quality, kudo's to you my friend :p

I just calls 'em likes I sees 'em.

So, you do biochem, I do biochem.
    I used to go out with a girl from castleisland, near tralee. You go out with a girl from tralee.

I'm freaking out man, I'm freaking out

Haha, derailed totally but WTF I say, the one I'm with is from Listowl, bout 30 mins from tralee but obv you have to go to fabric in tralee if your out for the night!:p Horans is always good laugh to!

I prefer the bio in biochem tbh, i dont like learning a fooking structure of a molecule, what relevence has a bond angle got other than what it becomes? Why cant they just state this compound has this bond angle, remember it. I dont care if the angle bloody effects how it fricking bonds with similar compounds determining its state so why the hell cant we just attribute each one with a bond angle and leave the explanation to physics peeps :confused:

Blasphemer...
    I'm more into the chemistry side of it myself.
    Never in Tralee anymore, twas years ago I went out with her.
    Im in Tullamore, with a new life partner, she's better, fitter, faster, stronger.

OH MY GOD!!!! WE HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF POSTS

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This thread has died a horrible death, make is dissapear please

Anyone with half a brain cell knows Joe duffys chat show is for the uneducated masses and anyone who takes its word seriously is a moron, it is a show that does little research and just thrives on contraversial topics, as we have experienced numerous times with airsoft

" Joe some lad fired an airsoft gun through my car window" when in fact it was later admitted by the caller a brick was found inside the car, but it was definitely an airsoft gun like.

Anyone with half a brain cell knows Joe duffys chat show is for the uneducated masses and anyone who takes its word seriously is a moron, it is a show that does little research and just thrives on contraversial topics, as we have experienced numerous times with airsoft

" Joe some lad fired an airsoft gun through my car window" when in fact it was later admitted by the caller a brick was found inside the car, but it was definitely an airsoft gun like.

Agreed.

I don't want to live in a world where hearsay isn't considered gospel truth. It's unthinkable

Blasphemer...
    I'm more into the chemistry side of it myself.
    Never in Tralee anymore, twas years ago I went out with her.
    Im in Tullamore, with a new life partner, she's better, fitter, faster, stronger.

OH MY GOD!!!! WE HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF POSTS

Freaky indeed.

Jesus this thread has turned into a love in between AaronFitz and smithcity, take it to pm or else get a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jesus this thread has turned into a love in between AaronFitz and smithcity, take it to pm or else get a room.

or post the webcam stream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yet people still fail the see that the problem is not always the person. The substance or game, has a huge part to play in how addictive it actually is. It is not always the persons fault, they don't always have to have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Firstly, can you all stop quoting entire ****ing posts because it's just taking up chunks of the web page that we've read already. If there's a point in a sentence or a paragraph, quote that.

AF, to your point about the parents, I should have clarified. I was referring to the news story I read a while back about parents who went off on holidays and left their kids at home to starve to death. I was trying to find the news report to link it but I couldn't.

Wow is addictive. Maybe not physically, but psychologically. That's the intent though. If a game isn't addictive, you don't play it again. That's why so many games get bad reviews. There's no replay factor in it.

Again i'll make my point on wow in relation to all of this talk of evil/addictive - Wow is one thing. There are many. There are enough people I know who've played this and gotten bored, and just stopped. They don't come back. The only time they even consider it is with the thought of only playing alongside friends. The game does what it's supposed to do, and the addiction is on the side of the player, not the game.

Put a bottle of vodka on a table infront of an alcoholic. The bottle doesn't do anything. It has the physical addictive nature, but when not being used, it does nothing.

It comes down to the parents and the individuals to take control of their own lives, and of those they care for.

In my opinion anything you do for long periods of time you should always continue to keep track of and weigh up how it's affecting you. If you ignore real human interraction, your own health, or your financial well being, then it is an addiction which you should look hard at. Wow may just be what YOUR habit is.

In my opinion if you are a parent it is your responsibility to be the one to assess if it is affecting your childs human interraction, health, and education. As much as teenagers (and I stress this as there is an age limit on this game) want to believe that they know everything about the world, they don't. Parents may be bias, and may also think they know everything when they don't, but they are still responsible, and have experience on their side. When "I don't need to go to school" comes into play, or any variation of it (before you jump on me quoting me all to ****), then parents should step in.

Again though, this is not just wow. From the OP and the reason we're all discussing this, it's a matter relating to parenting kids with habits/addictions which are affacting their lives.

To try to give perspective, vilifying WoW is like parents in the 60's who tried to vilify Rock n' Roll because it was what they thought was the problem with their kids at the time.

Bad parenting is bad parenting in any generation, and with any focal point (wow or other). People with addictive personalities, or even no regard for their own lives/health, are another point entirely.

However, in my opinion as long as you constantly take account of how your actions affect your life, wow is just another form of entertainment. Something a lot of people lack in their lives. If it gives you enjoyment, do it. When it starts to affect your life, reconsider doing it.

And i'll also take this time to point out that I believe that the direction society is taking, is dangerous, isolating, and causing an en masse mentality of "I" without a realistic perspective on "WE". The closer we all get, the farther we get from each other.

Yet people still fail the see that the problem is not always the person. The substance or game, has a huge part to play in how addictive it actually is. It is not always the persons fault, they don't always have to have a problem.

Yes. It is always the persons fault. Drink in moderation for the most part will not cause alcoholism. Therefore, going outside of moderation is the fault of the person. For those who are just naturally addicted, it is their fault. It's their nature, or physical make up that makes it that way, but they are still responsible for their own lives and have to take account of it and act accordingly.
    But as much as it's their fault in respect to natural addiction, it's as much the fault of someone who is born with a disability. In the same way, it's up to the individual how to live their lives with it, and acknowledge it.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61107723']Firstly, can you all stop quoting entire ****ing posts because it's just taking up chunks of the web page that we've read already. If there's a point in a sentence or a paragraph, quote that.

No!!!
    Again i'll make my point on wow in relation to all of this talk of evil/addictive - Wow is one thing. There are many. There are enough people I know who've played this and gotten bored, and just stopped. They don't come back. The only time they even consider it is with the thought of only playing alongside friends. The game does what it's supposed to do, and the addiction is on the side of the player, not the game.

Well it's obvious that the game is not for everyone... just because some are bored of it, doesn't make it any less addictive in general.
    Put a bottle of vodka on a table infront of an alcoholic. The bottle doesn't do anything. It has the physical addictive nature, but when not being used, it does nothing.

Eh... lol? Are you serious? Because the bottle of vodka doesn't have the ability to force itself down the alcoholics throat, it is completely innocent? I can see your understanding of addiction, and it is incorrect. Alcohol is a drug, this type of drug is very addictive. While some of the fault is due to the person, not 100% of it is. A lot of it has to do with the addictiveness of the drug.

In my opinion anything you do for long periods of time you should always continue to keep track of and weigh up how it's affecting you. If you ignore real human interraction, your own health, or your financial well being, then it is an addiction which you should look hard at. Wow may just be what YOUR habit is.

Fistly, stating something is your opinion, doesn't make it correct.

Your saying that if you ignore human interaction, your health or finances, you are addicted??? WRONG! It's not that simple. A lazy recluse doesn't have to be addicted to anything.
    In my opinion if you are a parent it is your responsibility to be the one to assess if it is affecting your childs human interraction, health, and education. As much as teenagers (and I stress this as there is an age limit on this game) want to believe that they know everything about the world, they don't. Parents may be bias, and may also think they know everything when they don't, but they are still responsible, and have experience on their side. When "I don't need to go to school" comes into play, or any variation of it (before you jump on me quoting me all to ****), then parents should step in.

For young kids, it is definately the parents fault, no doubt about it. Parents do need an understanding of their kids interests though. Saying something is "sad" while being very very ignorant towards it, is just not right.

To try to give perspective, vilifying WoW is like parents in the 60's who tried to vilify Rock n' Roll because it was what they thought was the problem with their kids at the time.

Exactly.

And i'll also take this time to point out that I believe that the direction society is taking, is dangerous, isolating, and causing an en masse mentality of "I" without a realistic perspective on "WE". The closer we all get, the farther we get from each other.[/QUOTE]
    ' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61107771']Yes. It is always the persons fault.

No it's not.
    Drink in moderation for the most part will not cause alcoholism. Therefore, going outside of moderation is the fault of the person. For those who are just naturally addicted, it is their fault. It's their nature, or physical make up that makes it that way, but they are still responsible for their own lives and have to take account of it and act accordingly.
    But as much as it's their fault in respect to natural addiction, it's as much the fault of someone who is born with a disability. In the same way, it's up to the individual how to live their lives with it, and acknowledge it.

WHAT? It's the fault of a disabled person for being that way??? Seriously?

Anyway, you are talking about substances as if they have no addictive properties. It is not entirely a persons fault, nor is it the fault of the substance completely. It's a bit of both, sometimes more from the person, sometimes more from the substance/game whatever.

You're really not getting what i'm saying. You either are unable to, or unwilling. I'm considering unwilling at this point.

And stating something is my opinion DOESN'T make it correct. That's the point. It's my opinion. It's what I think. I highlighted it for people like you to stress that i'm not saying it as it's 100% right, but what I think about it.

Can someone else please try to explain to this guy what my posts mean? I'm trying to make it clear, but it's not working. It seems like he just wants to argue for the sake of arguing. Is this Epeen for you man? As much as your sig is, it leads me to believe you are simply arguing now for the sake of winning a fight that nobody's started.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;61108251']You're really not getting what i'm saying. You either are unable to, or unwilling. I'm considering unwilling at this point.

And stating something is my opinion DOESN'T make it correct. That's the point. It's my opinion. It's what I think. I highlighted it for people like you to stress that i'm not saying it as it's 100% right, but what I think about it.

Can someone else please try to explain to this guy what my posts mean? I'm trying to make it clear, but it's not working. It seems like he just wants to argue for the sake of arguing. Is this Epeen for you man? As much as your sig is, it leads me to believe you are simply arguing now for the sake of winning a fight that nobody's started.

Your posts don't make a lot of sence to me, tangents and all that... claim what you want, I am not "fighting for the sake of it" I have a point which I have tried to put forward on multiple occasions.

Your main point is defending the game saying that it is always the persons fault, I am stating that it is not always the persons fault.

And a pretty lame attempt at an insult... my sig? Epeen? That's pretty sad dude...

It's that simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I think this thread has reached it's natural conclusion. If someone would like to post a link to interview when it's made available; then that would be great and I'll merge it with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ivan wrote: »
    I think this thread has reached it's natural conclusion. If someone would like to post a link to interview when it's made available; then that would be great and I'll merge it with the thread.
    Update with podcast:
    http://www.podcastingireland.ie/listen-podcast.html?id_directory=665&item=996

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement