Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with maps

• 10-07-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right forum but there isn't a geography forum so it's the closest thing I could think of.

Basically I am looking for a good website or programme on which I can get a good A4 map of Cork City that I can put in various locations I have been during research. I want to be able to show where in Cork City I have been in a ten mile radius.

I have used yahoo and google maps, neither of which are very good for this sort of thing, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

What I would do thats quick and easy would be to use photoshop. Copy and paste screens together until you get the map you want and then use the "draw circle" tool to put in your radius using the map's scale bar as a refence.

Hope that helps. Im sure there is an easier way of doing it. I just love photoshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Definitely get a-scanning and photoshop the jigsaw together :) It also means that you can customise your map and get a really professional effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Unfortunately I dont have photoshop, i'm trying to work it on ms paint but doesn't look great to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

If you send me the files and what you want done I could do it for you. PM for details.

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

You cant get good quality maps and aerial photographs at Ordnance Survey website osi.ie wihout having to buy a licence. Click on the interactive map at the centre of the homepage and you can use it like google maps. There is a another website called irishhistoricmaps.ie (also run by the Ordnance Survey) which has first edition OS maps. Its good but you have to pay for it.

If you have screen grab software you should be able to get a map of a 10km square area that looks pretty good. I have a screen grab programme that I downloaded for free called Screen Hunter and it works pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

ahara wrote: »
    You cant get good quality maps and aerial photographs at Ordnance Survey website osi.ie wihout having to buy a licence.
    Could you please show, where you can get legally good quality maps and aerial photographs on the OSI site, without having to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

mdebets wrote: »
    Could you please show, where you can get legally good quality maps and aerial photographs on the OSI site, without having to pay for it?

PM me Mick :)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

At the start of my last post where it says "cant" it was meant to say "Can". Sorry for any confusion caused.

Advertisement