Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with speed of BB connection to Desktop only

Options
  • 10-07-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

I have a 3MB Ice Broadband connection into a Netgear WPN8134 router. I then have a DELL desktop PC about 30 feet away with a USB VPN111 wireless router on it and I also use a Dell Latitude laptop on the same system.

Last night the Desktop would not connect at all but I could get approx. 1MB on the Laptop. The latency was about 300 msec on the Laptop.

I changed the DNS server settings and no difference was found.

Any ideas why the Dell Desktop is so crap?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The issue here appears to be communication between the usb and the netgear. That is an internal issue. Changing your dns has absolutely no effect
    on that 'relationship'.

Also the dell may not be crap at all.

You have to try a bit of lateral thinking in these situations.

Is this a new problem?

Are you using the laptop and desktop in the same area?

If not is there anything that could be interfering between the desktop and the netgear?

Try a different wireless channel. If the USB is not already on a usb extension lead try it with one to get some different positions. Try looking around to see if there are any wireless gizmos that could be interfering. Try uninstalling the usb and reinstalling it with the most up to date driver from the netegear site.

If you want to be really adventurous you could try turning of the wireless card in your laptop and installing the wirelless usb on it and see what performance you get from it in the same location as the desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

The Laptop is a work one and the IP I would have would be German. Cannot put the USB wireless onto this as I have no admin rights!

One thing is that I am waiting on connection for an Eircom line. In anticipation of this, i installed the Netopia router.

Would this be causing a conflict?

If so, would it be best to de-install this or is there a setting I should look at?

Advertisement