Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Eidos Review Tampering - Batman AA.

Options
  • 10-07-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

You'd think after Kane & Lynch and Tomb Raider Underworld, they'd have learnt their lesson. :)
    Several mags have their review code [of Batman Arkham Asylum] already, but have to sit on their reviews until a hateful embargo expires at the end of the month. But Eidos, ever the helpful fellows that they are, have been offering a way around this embargo. If you dedicate the cover of your mag to Arkham Asylum and guarantee a score of at least 90%, Eidos will allow you to run the review early.

TRR says that while "one editor has already valiantly told Eidos to **** off", others have been less resolute. "This means", they say, "that if you see a mag turn up within the next few weeks (ding!) that features Arkham Asylum on its cover (ding!) and gives it at least 90% (ding ding ding!), you have a winner."

More on the following link: http://kotaku.com/5311606/eidos-once-again-attempting-to-mess-with-review-scores

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So im presuming then that the thing is a piece of sh1t and is incredibly buggy and they are just trying to lure people into buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If anyone spots a Mag doing this post it up here.
    I for one wouldn't buy something and base my buying off it if I knew it could be compromised so easily. Thats why I love Zero Puncuation reviews, he finds the flaws and hates almost all games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I was looking forward to BAA but after reading about this stunt by Eidos I cant see myself buying on the release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When will they learn? Twats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The trailers look pretty good and Batman has such a positive profile at the mo it's amazing that they'd hurt even the sales of an average game by getting caught tampering with reviews.
    Muppets!

Almost as bad as the Driver3 ugliness a couple of years ago, dreadful stuff,
    http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/drivergate_returns/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Eidos for there part have completed denied this, claiming there is zero truth in the claim what so ever.

Infact I don't think the claims of review fixing where ever proven with the previous 2 titles. Mere internet speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Azza wrote: »
    Mere internet speculation.
    no smoke without fire.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd still wait for more evidence before jumping to a conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Who amongst you trusts games journalists though?
    Be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Several mags have their review code already, but have to sit on their reviews until a hateful embargo expires at the end of the month. But Eidos, ever the helpful fellows that they are, have been offering a way around this embargo. If you dedicate the cover of your mag to Arkham Asylum and guarantee a score of at least 90%, Eidos will allow you to run the review early.

http://ramraider.blogspot.com/2009/07/eidos-seek-90-score-cover-for-arkham.html

All of this would be dandy if the only reason for embargoes was to allow for time to review the game in a timely manner just before it is released. But (at least in the past) that is often not the case and embargoes have been used to only allow favourable reviews from one or two mags. This -- if true -- is just expanding what has happened for some time.

It's also worth nothing that putting a Batman game on a cover is a highly advisable thing to do to attract a wider readership.

And, in any case, just because a mag does put the game on the cover and gives it a favourable review does not automatically mean the review is biased. If the game is rubbish and the same happens, then it's more likely something is up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I find it hard to believe any game review nowadays and I feel its adding to piracy. Those who got stung before will dl a cracked copy next time to try out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Oooh,very interestin Op,thanks.

Do many people still bother with gaming mags? I just use the net for any info i need.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I used to buy 2 or 3 mags a month. Stopped that about a year ago.... all the info I need is online, and Metacritic is my first stop for reviews. Even if one or two sites/magazines are "turned", the majority will still tell it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nerin wrote: »
    Oooh,very interestin Op,thanks.

Do many people still bother with gaming mags? I just use the net for any info i need.
    Toilet Reading. But I have a Pop Science mag subscription for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I always liked PC Gamer for a laugh, still download their podcast which always provides some laughs. That said it's incredible how far they are up Valves ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I buy a mag every now and then , you can't stretch back on the sofa with a pc,
    wouldn't surprise me if this eidos story turns out to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Hmm, this story seems a bit...off. I don't see why Eidos would have bothered doing this again, considering the backlash after the Kane & Lynch incident.

Advertisement