Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

card number 1 should work fine, its an AGP slot on your AGP motherboard.

card number 2 is PCIE, which wont fit in. so searching AGP cards and you'll be sound.

That X1950 can be found for roughly the same price new on pixmania
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/517594/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-x1950-pro-512-mb-h.html

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

But I have been a bit confused over the whole multiplier thing and i think this card is X2 or X4. It says on the MSI site that this mobo will support X4 but I though that this mobo is a bit old to support that technology. What do u think?

BTW , the PC will only be used to surf the web and play wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

But I have been a bit confused over the whole multiplier thing and i think this card is X2 or X4. It says on the MSI site that this mobo will support X4 but I though that this mobo is a bit old to support that technology. What do u think?

AGP x8 is backwards compatible with AGP x4 e.g. an agp x8 gfx card will work in an agp x4 slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Both cards will work; the 8400GS is PCI, not PCI-E - though it would be quite slow and miles behind the X1950Pro. The one on Pixmania for 49 euro new is a good bargain for an AGP card.

If its only for the web and World of Warcraft, you don't need to spend much. For example check adverts.ie, cards like Geforce 4 or the FX series sell for about 10-15 euro 2nd hand and would be perfectly capable.

Thanks guys.
    Well the PC in question will be getting an old X1950 PRO PCI-E i have and i am purchacing a new mobo and cpu 4 it. So the machine wil have a whole new lease on life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I had choices I would avoid the G8 series altogether for many and varied reasons. Most of which have to do with defects.

If youre getting a new mobo, and 4 core, why go with an old GPU? Screw that lad. You might as well add a fresh PSU on top of that invoice and start new altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thanks guys.
    Well the PC in question will be getting an old X1950 PRO PCI-E i have and i am purchacing a new mobo and cpu 4 it. So the machine wil have a whole new lease on life :)

You might have overlooked the fact that you'll then need new ram, and possibly/most likely a new psu (any psu geared towards that era won't be overly suitable to modern power requirements). I would forget the 'lease of life' and just build a cheap budget machine and sell the old one complete.

Turns out I dont have to buy a new mobo or new ram. I really have to clean out my closet more. I still have to buy a new CPU and I was thinking about a duel core. Can any of ye pick one for about 60-70E from Elara.ie please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not sure a dual core is supported:

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/MS-6390.html

Advertisement