Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World's most expensive fast food?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

From Yahoo/Forbes.com http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/10072009/389/world-s-most-expensive-fast-food.html ...............

Dublin is home to Trinity College , the Guinness Storehouse and St. Stephens Green.

Here, you'll also find the world's most expensive fast food. A hamburger meal at a medium-priced establishment, as defined by consulting firm Mercer, costs a whopping £5.65, or $9.16.

That figure - the only to exceed $8.00 on a list of 20 geographically diverse cities selected for different cost comparisons - is $3.00 greater than the price of a hamburger meal in New York, where it's £3.70 ($5.99).

But travelers in Europe will not find significant relief in many other cities on the continent, where the price of a fast-food meal hovers within the £4.50 range: In Amsterdam you'll pay £4.86, in Paris £4.58, and in Athens £4.11. For less pricey eats, grab a hamburger in Prague for £3.02, in Warsaw for £2.38, or in Johannesburg, which sells the cheapest burgers on the list at £1.54.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭DOS

They should be double the price than whats shown. Damn junk food. Thats how we'll solve this recession, tax junk food. 1 calorie = 1 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

"a medium priced establishment", so obviously not a multinational like McDonalds where they can compare like-for-like, just random restaurants in each city, where the product in question is completely different

also this doesn't factor in the operating costs in each country

pointless survey imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

"a medium priced establishment", so obviously not a multinational like McDonalds where they can compare like-for-like, just random restaurants in each city, where the product in question is completely different

also this doesn't factor in the operating costs in each country

pointless survey imo

Exactly, they should have priced a Big Mac or Whopper in each city instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

manc wrote: »
    Johannesburg, which sells the cheapest burgers on the list at £1.54.
    McDonalds sell €1 burgers, and BK often have them on the 99cent menu. And there are loads of 2 for 1 deals on receipts which these surveys always omit, I would rarely buy any burger etc for the full listed price.

All this survey shows is the amount of new fancy overpriced burger joints in dublin, I know nobody who goes to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Morgans

rubadub wrote: »
    McDonalds sell €1 burgers, and BK often have them on the 99cent menu, And there are loads of 2 for 1 deals on receipts which these surveys always omit

All this survey shows is the amount of new fancy overpriced burger joints in dublin, I know nobody who goes to them.

Do you have a reference for these two statements? From what I could see/read the study was on meals, not individual burgers which bargain hunters nourish themselves on. Nor was it a survey on special offers avialable at fast food restaurants.

The report itself states "In devising a comparative study of the cost of a fast-food hamburger meal across different cities, included in this year's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2009, Mercer analysts collected data from venues most frequented by expatriates in a given city."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

From Yahoo/Forbes.com http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/10072009/389/world-s-most-expensive-fast-food.html ...............

Dublin is home to Trinity College , the Guinness Storehouse and St. Stephens Green.

Here, you'll also find the world's most expensive fast food. A hamburger meal at a medium-priced establishment, as defined by consulting firm Mercer, costs a whopping £5.65, or $9.16.

That figure - the only to exceed $8.00 on a list of 20 geographically diverse cities selected for different cost comparisons - is $3.00 greater than the price of a hamburger meal in New York, where it's £3.70 ($5.99).

But travelers in Europe will not find significant relief in many other cities on the continent, where the price of a fast-food meal hovers within the £4.50 range: In Amsterdam you'll pay £4.86, in Paris £4.58, and in Athens £4.11. For less pricey eats, grab a hamburger in Prague for £3.02, in Warsaw for £2.38, or in Johannesburg, which sells the cheapest burgers on the list at £1.54.
    Let's see.
    Sterling - cheap
    Dollar - cheap
    Euro - expensive
    other small currencies - cheap

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

DOS wrote: »
    They should be double the price than whats shown. Damn junk food. Thats how we'll solve this recession, tax junk food. 1 calorie = 1 cent.

That means 20 euro if your a woman and 25 euro if your a man in tax a day if you keep to the RDA. Funny thing is, probably still wouldn't sort the problems the government are having.

And yes, ireland is expensive, I think its only at this point now that money has become tight that the majority have come to this realization.

Morgans wrote: »
    Do you have a reference for these two statements?
    Nope, and I can't be bothered taking photos of the menus or receipts, it is common knowledge.

The others I meant my mates or people in work etc when I said "I know of nobody". e.g. there was a €10 hambuger meal mentioned for eddie rockets in bargain alerts, most people replying were in shock. Whenever I hear mention eddies mentioned 99% of the time somebody remarks on how expensive it is. Lots of these style "diners" or "gourmet burger joints have opened.

A far more interesting survey would be average price PAID for a takeaway meal, which is totally different thing than the average price ATTEMPTED to be charged.
    The report itself states "In devising a comparative study of the cost of a fast-food hamburger meal across different cities, included in this year's Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2009, Mercer analysts collected data from venues most frequented by expatriates in a given city."
    Yes the expatriates thing is interesting, I presume they are US expats. In a high cost city I expect most expats would be on a higher income level, therefore might frequent higher cost restaurants. e.g. a US expat without much money might go to a cheaper country to retire and so tend to go to cheaper places anyway. I always like to see the full breakdown of figures in these surveys which can reveal the many flaws they usually have, or if not even considered flaws I can see how the figures were arrived at. Often this figures shock me but when I see how the survey is conducted it makes sense.

e.g. some survey was comparing own brand goods in supermarkets, at first I was shocked to see tesco high on the list, then I saw the figures and it turned out they went to the highest or second highest own brand item in each case. i.e. tesco can have 6-8 types of own-brand pizza, of varying quality & price, while many others just have 1-2 types, both cheap.
    Nor was it a survey on special offers avialable at fast food restaurants.
    Yes, and my point is that is not how many people ordinarily shop. On the supermarket survey they did buy stuff on offer but then corrected the prices to the "original" price! ridiculous as the dogs on the street know the "original" price is usually overinflated in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Burgerking has a fantastic offer on at the moment, Double cheese burger, fries and coke 3.50 Can't go wrong.

rubadub wrote: »
    Nope, and I can't be bothered taking photos of the menus or receipts, it is common knowledge.

The others I meant my mates or people in work etc when I said "I know of nobody". e.g. there was a €10 hambuger meal mentioned for eddie rockets in bargain alerts, most people replying were in shock. Whenever I hear mention eddies mentioned 99% of the time somebody remarks on how expensive it is. Lots of these style "diners" or "gourmet burger joints have opened.

A far more interesting survey would be average price PAID for a takeaway meal, which is totally different thing than the average price ATTEMPTED to be charged.

Yes the expatriates thing is interesting, I presume they are US expats. In a high cost city I expect most expats would be on a higher income level, therefore might frequent higher cost restaurants. e.g. a US expat without much money might go to a cheaper country to retire and so tend to go to cheaper places anyway. I always like to see the full breakdown of figures in these surveys which can reveal the many flaws they usually have, or if not even considered flaws I can see how the figures were arrived at. Often this figures shock me but when I see how the survey is conducted it makes sense.

e.g. some survey was comparing own brand goods in supermarkets, at first I was shocked to see tesco high on the list, then I saw the figures and it turned out they went to the highest or second highest own brand item in each case. i.e. tesco can have 6-8 types of own-brand pizza, of varying quality & price, while many others just have 1-2 types, both cheap.

Yes, and my point is that is not how many people ordinarily shop. On the supermarket survey they did buy stuff on offer but then corrected the prices to the "original" price! ridiculous as the dogs on the street know the "original" price is usually overinflated in the first place.

It seems that you are denying or questioning the reports findings because you assume without evidence that expats arent going to the McDonalds Burger King or Supermacs but eddie rockets or some of the gourmet burger restaurants.

I think apart from a handful of Eddie Rockets you would need local knowledge to find the gourmet burger, jo burger restaurant. They are not the type of restaurant that you would stumble accross by accident.

I dont know if its only expats in Ireland that mistake McDonalds for higher end restaurants. I dont know why only in Ireland would ex-pats make that mistake.

You state of another report where every one knew that original prices are overinflated in the first place.

Isnt that the point of the report? That Ireland's hamburger meals are overinflated in price in comparison with other cities in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Did you notice that in SuperMacs - the one in Manooth anyway doesnt have their prices displayed!!! whats up there? so you dont know how much you are being ripped off

It seems that you are denying or questioning the reports findings
    I question the findings, end of story. Not that I think they are lying or making a mistake I would like to see what the findings actually were, and the figures etc. Then it would probably become very clear to me why they are so high. I would also like to see what countries were included or excluded, after visiting Oslo I am shocked it is not on the list.
    expats arent going to the McDonalds Burger King or Supermacs but eddie rockets or some of the gourmet burger restaurants.
    If they listed restaurants out and in other countries it was all mc donalds and cheaper fast food joints it would make sense. Dublin has a disproportionate amount of overpriced places. As I said before I would like to see average price PAID. There are very few italian style chippers in dublin city centre, while in amsterdam you will get loads of places selling burgers around the same price as McDs or BK.
    I think apart from a handful of Eddie Rockets you would need local knowledge to find the gourmet burger, jo burger restaurant.
    There are a good few around the city centre now, outside the city centre they are far rarer.
    I dont know why only in Ireland would ex-pats make that mistake.
    I never said it was a mistake, I was saying higher income earners would probably choose to go to better restaurants. SOme Irish people will retire to a villa in spain as a cheap place to live, some with cash might head to monaco etc, I expect the people who can only afford a cheaper house would be going to cheaper restaurants too etc.
    You state of another report where every one knew that original prices are overinflated in the first place
    No, I was the first one who spotted it, people just blindly accepted the end result and were not examining what was going on, just like this survey. Some guy then posted the excel sheet with the actual data, and then I was discovered what was going on, and how explained the results were skewed. I did not spot any mistakes, it was however unrealistic about how I see most people doing their shopping, and since it only picked one "own brand", shops with lower quality single own brand items turned out best.

Another legitimate report ended up being very misleading due to journalists from the likes of the irish times making out that goods should cost 6% more at the till in the republic than up north. I expect journalists are not completely illiterate so expect they purposely lied or feigned ignorance for the sake of a good story. Again you had to read the actual report to discover what was really being said, and it certainly made no claims at all that people should be paying 6% more here.

Isnt that the point of the report? That Ireland's hamburger meals are overinflated in price in comparison with other cities in the world.
    Yes, but under what circumstances? The results are pretty useless to me when they are so vague to begin with. I could probably set a load of rules in a survey and have us appearing the cheapest of those countries. I probably could have got tesco to the bottom of the supermarket price survey when they topped it.

Did you notice that in SuperMacs - the one in Manooth anyway doesnt have their prices displayed!!! whats up there?
    That is illegal
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1984/en/si/0213.html

I have no problem with the figures being questioned. Ive been to cities where it has been more expensive than Dublin, however, the idea that in Dublin they compare Gourmet Burger prices to McDonalds prices elsewhere is ridiculous. The fact that McDonalds/Burger King are so global makes them easy for a braod stroke price comparison.

the idea that in Dublin they compare Gourmet Burger prices to McDonalds prices elsewhere is ridiculous.
    Yes, it is as ridiculous as the conclusions drawn in the other 2 surveys I mentioned, this is why it would not surprise me in the slightest if they have done something like that.
    The fact that McDonalds/Burger King are so global makes them easy for a braod stroke price comparison.
    Yes, like the big mac index. The other interesting data was on the average wages in proportion to the price of big macs. I cannot find a big mac index with the irish price on it. But for 2009 we appear 10th on the "fastest earned" list
    Wealth Management Research has expanded the idea of the Big Mac Index to include the amount of time that an average worker in a given country must work to earn enough to buy a Big Mac. The working-time based Big Mac index might give a more realistic view of the purchasing power of the average worker, as it takes into account more factors, such as local wages

Ten fastest earned

Tokyo, Japan - 10 minutes
    Los Angeles, United States - 11 minutes
    Chicago, Illinois United States - 12 minutes
    Miami, Florida United States - 12 minutes
    New York City, New York United States - 13 minutes
    Auckland, New Zealand - 14 minutes
    Sydney, Australia - 14 minutes
    Toronto, Canada - 14 minutes
    Zürich, Switzerland - 15 minutes
    Dublin, Ireland - 15 minutes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index#Figures

the fastest earned list is a good comparison imo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We're no where near the dearest.
    5 places with the overall highest Bic Mac prices

The reason that there are only 2 cities from Europe in the top for a fastest earned Big Mac is not because the overall salaries are low (just the opposite), but because the overall prices are high compared to the rest of the world. Here are the 5 places with the highest Big Mac price:

1. Norway - 7.88 dollars for a Big Mac
    2. Sweden - 6.37 dollars
    3. Switzerland - 6.36 dollars
    4. Denmark - 5.95 dollars
    5. Euro Area average - 5.34 dollars

The average price for a Big Mac in the US is 3.57 dollars. For the same price that you get 1 Big Mac in Norway you get 2 Big Macs in the US (and you’ll even have some money left).

The huge price differences in Europe and the United States is also the reason why American tourists in Europe will find their wallets thinning out pretty quickly!

source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

€5.20 for a qurter pounder with cheese in the chippers :eek:

plus in america they have extra costs.... on the 99 cent menu there i got 1 item.....they charged me 1.08.... damm tips...

just put 1.08 on the damm sign...

if they want 15 % just charge 1.15 instead of 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Just for those of you who didn't actually read the report: alongside the caption of Dublin as most expensive is a very clear picture of McDonald's in Grafton St. Here it is:

Dublin.jpg

Edit/ In fact there's a picture of a McDonald's restaurant from every city.

alongside the caption of Dublin as most expensive is a very clear picture of McDonald's in Grafton St.
    Yeah I noticed that. Last time I got a hamburger meal in that same place it was €2 or €3...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Soooooooooooo expensive everywhere but at least the food is good and the place is clean!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

we Use € euro in Ireland Not £ pound but yea Ireland is an expensive **** hole:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Dyflin wrote: »
    We're no where near the dearest.

source

thats why 75% of Americans are Obese

Mousey- wrote: »
    plus in america they have extra costs.... on the 99 cent menu there i got 1 item.....they charged me 1.08.... damm tips...

just put 1.08 on the damm sign...

the $1.08 is including sales tax (their version of VAT), which varies between different states, so it's much more cost effective for them to make signage/menus saying 99c plus tax, rather than make different signs/menus for each state

Advertisement