Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots & Nurofen: Must sign consent form & listen to legal jargon before buying

Options
  • 10-07-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

I went into Boots today to purchase Neurofen and was handed a clipboard from which the chemist proceeded to read out all the so-called dangers associated with neurofen which felt like a life time and then i had to sign a consent form.

Seriously?

Is that now standard procedure if you want to buy Nurofen in a chemist? :confused:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never come across it, but I cant remember the last time I bought Neurofen. Its similar to the law that only allows one pack of paracetamol to be purchased at a time, which only makes it awkward (and impossible for them to track) if you want to buy 500. :)

Symptom of the ultra pc ultra litigious bureaucracy we live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

macy9 wrote: »
    I went into Boots today to purchase Neurofen and was handed a clipboard from which the chemist proceeded to read out all the so-called dangers associated with neurofen which felt like a life time and then i had to sign a consent form.

Seriously?

Is that now standard procedure if you want to buy Nurofen in a chemist? :confused:

Were you buying a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Oryx wrote: »
    Symptom of the ultra pc ultra litigious bureaucracy we live with.

'ultra litigious bureaucracy' yes, but whats pc about this?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gurgle wrote: »
    The necessity to dot all the i's and cross all the t's in order to prevent the merest possibility someone might take you up wrong and take offence. Quite like my post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Gurgle wrote: »
    Nothing PC about it tbh, just typical boards.ie "we hate being PC".

Weird really but hardly a consumer issue, many people abuse neurofen and paracetemol as they are easily purchased and not everyone knows the dangers. They are not harmless as some people might think and it makes sense for them to let you know of the dangers and the consent is probably to cover their backs. Over the counter medicine doesn't mean its completely harmless.

Fair play to boots I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Nothing PC about it tbh, just typical boards.ie "we hate being PC".

Weird really but hardly a consumer issue, many people abuse neurofen and paracetemol as they are easily purchased and not everyone knows the dangers. They are not harmless as some people might think and it makes sense for them to let you know of the dangers and the consent is probably to cover their backs. Over the counter medicine doesn't mean its completely harmless.

Fair play to boots I say.

Then they should do that for all medicines, as they all carry risks. The risks are already on the leaflet in the packet. Someone who wants to abuse them will find ways to get round these rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I bought nurofen for kids yesterday in boots and there was none of that although I did notice the girl had been reading the information leaflet from a packet of adults nurofen as I got to the counter. Maybe it is a new thing coming in. When my sister got her first house she asked me to pick up a few boxes for the medicine cabinet, I went to the chemist and they were shocked when I asked for 3, I explained it was just for supplies for the new house and they went off on all the details of risks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

eth0_ wrote: »
    Were you buying a lot?

Just 1 regular box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would have thought there were more people abusing solphadine & nurofen+.

Both of those contain codine, but normal nurofen only contains ibuprofen. Haven't heard of as many people taking overdoses of ibuprofen as I have paracetamol.

Just go to every store and buy one packet in each.
    The limit on paracetamol is a joke, 1 per person/transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would have thought there were more people abusing solphadine & nurofen+.
    Yeah, I could understand warning about the codeine, many people are drug addicts without even knowing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

In New Zealand you have to sign your name and give your address whenever you buy normal over the counter cough mixture. It contains pseudoephidrine which is used to illegally manufacture P (I think it's like crystal meth) so they have to watch who buys it.

You don't have to sign for Nurofen though - guess who can't make anything good out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

it's only a matter of time before the likes of Solpadeine and Nurofen will be prescription only, there seems to be a strong group lobbying for it.

I can see the concern about solpadeine, I've taken it before (for hangovers/headaches) and I've found it very good, not only does it ease the pain but the caffeine and codeine give a nice buzz to help a hangover. That makes it all very attractive to pop when 'under the weather' and that's damn dangerous!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I never understood how anyone could become addicted to Solpadeine - it taste so revolting it makes me gag. And it's only recently become available in capsules!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm not sure people become addicted to any drug for the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Mel Smith out of Smith and Jones and the not the 9 o clock news team was taking up to 30 a day, in America you are only allowed codeine products on prescription, I took a couple of N+ once I was amazed by their effectiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Kahless wrote: »
    I'm not sure people become addicted to any drug for the taste.

The little red Nurofen tablets are delicious though; I always thought it was pretty dangerous if a child got hold of a pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,191 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

eth0_ wrote: »
    I never understood how anyone could become addicted to Solpadeine - it taste so revolting it makes me gag. And it's only recently become available in capsules!

Cocaine, sticking a needle in your arm or smoking hardly taste of sweeties.

I think taste is secondary in drug addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Just ask for Ibuprofen next time, it the generic name for the active ingredient of Nurofen.

Failing that sign the sheet with either the two names I use on all these type of stuff, including Visa/Mastercard receipts.

> Sign: VOID.

> Sign: Invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I get asked have I taken it (Solpadeine) before and am I aware of the dangers involved. I buy it from the same people in the same Boots every time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Nothing PC about this at all. I have to take neurofen because I get side affects from my med and some chemist told me neurofen plus was stronger so Istarted taking them. But they are addictive and did not know this for a long time so had to ween myself of them. So thank god someone has had the sence to highlight the dangers of these seemly inoxious medication.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Bought nurofen plus in a pharmacy today, not boots, wasn't asked anything at all.

Perhaps more worrying a really slim girl in front of me bought that new diet pill Alli, no questions asked.

Don't see a problem with the risks etc being outlined before you purchase. I know it's time-consuming if you're in a hurry but those measures are there to protect the vulnerable not annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

chocgirl wrote: »
    Bought nurofen plus in a pharmacy today, not boots, wasn't asked anything at all.

Perhaps more worrying a really slim girl in front of me bought that new diet pill Alli, no questions asked.

Don't see a problem with the risks etc being outlined before you purchase. I know it's time-consuming if you're in a hurry but those measures are there to protect the vulnerable not annoy people.

As the guy said to Homer when he was buying weight gain products "It's a good thing for you that this stuff doesn't work" :pac:
    The law as it stands is rather silly. Have them outline on the box that the ingredients can be addictive rather than limit sensible people from stocking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Seriously?

Signing the consent form is a little extreme, but at least they're making you aware of the dangers.

I bought Nurofen plus the other day, only question I was asked was had I taken it before, which I have plenty of times (best for the wisdom tooth pain). It has Ibuprofen and Codeine in it and if you actually read the leaflet, you'll be very aware why they should make you aware of the dangers of it.

ordinary Neurofen (the round, smarties like ones) make me really hyper, yet the plus doesn't... and I wouldn't know what the ++ stuff (availbe on presription only)would do to me.

I've experienced allergic reactions to medications before and it is really not something you want. Took weeks to sort my body out afterwards!

But in saying that, some weeks ago I bought Uniflu plus for a headcold, which has Codeine in it and unfortunately the person in the pharmacy told me it has Paracetamol in it, which is incorrect as that's ordinary Uniflu.

So what I'm saying is, someone must have done something somewhere down the line that has resulted in that boots asking you to sign the form. Not a bad idea.

Maybe just ask why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Anyone warned in Northern Ireland? Family went up to stock up on pain medication and there was no attempt to stop or slow down the process of buying half a dozen packs. The difference between that and the grilling you get in Tesco down south, over one pack, stood out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This is taken from a Sheffield forum where a health care professional is describing the over doses they have seen. :

Quote:
    FAIK you wouldn't need to be resuscitated, but would come round anyway - and then die slowly over a period of about a week. But maybe medical people on the forum could clarify this.
    just to clarify that one. If you take a paracetamol O/D, the order is as follows:
    (1) first 24 hrs: worst symptoms you will experience here are palpitations and vomiting. you will NOT become unconcious (those who appear to be are faking it)
    (2) 24-72 hrs: this is the stage at which the symptoms of hepatic and renal failure will start to present, Unfortunatly, without treatment for the O/D within 12 hrs of taking it, there is little any doctor can do other than treat the symptoms as you are now on a one-way course to fulminant liver failure, with death following typically from a week to two weeks later, or longer if you are unlucky. Unfortunatly, because they feel ok, many paracetamol O/D takers dont present till the bad syptoms kick in, at which point its too late to give the parvolax (antidote)

Once you get to step (2) there is no 'cure'. you can expect to become progessively more jaundiced, develop severe abdominal cramps and headach (thats the cerebral oedema kicking in). You will vomit and keep no food or water down. You will also develop chronic diarrhoea and become incontinent. you will also be in a great deal of pain. The only 'cure' at this point would be a liver transplant and possibly renal dialysis for the rest of your life. Unfortunatly, due to the cause of the liver failure (deliberate O/D) you don't rate very highly on the transplant list so are very unlikely to be offered this option. this late stage is the one at which you will become unconcsious, but you will not be resuscitated, as the doctor will already have completed a DNAR order for your notes, based on the fact that attemting to resuscitate you would now be futile.

sorry to give the facts so bluntly, but paracetamol is THE most common form of ATTEMPTED suicide. I say attempted as most suicide attempts are either attention seeking or a cry for help. Those who genuinly WANT to die, as opposed to saying they do, in my experience, make a damn good job of it (ie: they dont call an ambulance and make sure no-one knows or finds them till they are actually dead). geniune suicides tend to use more reliable methods too, the number one being hanging (pretty surefire if done correctly). In short, paracetamol O/D is not a quick or pleasent way to die, but unfortunatly one which is commonly attempted at great cost to the NHS.

THATS why the number of paracetamol you can buy is restricted. See the point now?

He/she also goes on to disagree with ease customers have in getting their hands on large amounts of these pills.

Nobody wants these to go prescription only so just comply with the restrictions and be an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    This is taken from a Sheffield forum where a health care professional is describing the over doses they have seen. :

Quote:
    FAIK you wouldn't need to be resuscitated, but would come round anyway - and then die slowly over a period of about a week. But maybe medical people on the forum could clarify this.
    just to clarify that one. If you take a paracetamol O/D, the order is as follows:
    (1) first 24 hrs: worst symptoms you will experience here are palpitations and vomiting. you will NOT become unconcious (those who appear to be are faking it)
    (2) 24-72 hrs: this is the stage at which the symptoms of hepatic and renal failure will start to present, Unfortunatly, without treatment for the O/D within 12 hrs of taking it, there is little any doctor can do other than treat the symptoms as you are now on a one-way course to fulminant liver failure, with death following typically from a week to two weeks later, or longer if you are unlucky. Unfortunatly, because they feel ok, many paracetamol O/D takers dont present till the bad syptoms kick in, at which point its too late to give the parvolax (antidote)

Once you get to step (2) there is no 'cure'. you can expect to become progessively more jaundiced, develop severe abdominal cramps and headach (thats the cerebral oedema kicking in). You will vomit and keep no food or water down. You will also develop chronic diarrhoea and become incontinent. you will also be in a great deal of pain. The only 'cure' at this point would be a liver transplant and possibly renal dialysis for the rest of your life. Unfortunatly, due to the cause of the liver failure (deliberate O/D) you don't rate very highly on the transplant list so are very unlikely to be offered this option. this late stage is the one at which you will become unconcsious, but you will not be resuscitated, as the doctor will already have completed a DNAR order for your notes, based on the fact that attemting to resuscitate you would now be futile.

sorry to give the facts so bluntly, but paracetamol is THE most common form of ATTEMPTED suicide. I say attempted as most suicide attempts are either attention seeking or a cry for help. Those who genuinly WANT to die, as opposed to saying they do, in my experience, make a damn good job of it (ie: they dont call an ambulance and make sure no-one knows or finds them till they are actually dead). geniune suicides tend to use more reliable methods too, the number one being hanging (pretty surefire if done correctly). In short, paracetamol O/D is not a quick or pleasent way to die, but unfortunatly one which is commonly attempted at great cost to the NHS.

THATS why the number of paracetamol you can buy is restricted. See the point now?

He/she also goes on to disagree with ease customers have in getting their hands on large amounts of these pills.

Nobody wants these to go prescription only so just comply with the restrictions and be an adult.

You know it is 'possible' to die from drinking too much water :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Seriously?

Was it Neurophen Plus you were purchasing?
    Because this stuff has added codine and is quite addictive, just like Solphadine.

I think that may explain their caution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

craichoe wrote: »
    You know it is 'possible' to die from drinking too much water :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

In fairness that is hardly relevant to the post...

Paracetamol overdose is common as it is a common household drug and because there are so many vague warnings as to it's toxicity in overdoses, lots of people - especially young people, OD on it thinking it will be a lot easier than it actually is. It is also chosen because up until the 1 pack per transaction rule, it was pretty easy to buy multiple packs without raising any suspicion as it is the kind of thing that people keep a stock of in the house.

I think it is a great rule as it forces anyone in that situation to visit multiple shops which might at least act as a small deterrent to someone who was acting on the spur of the moment. Personally I would go for a mass advertisement of the description of the stages of overdose there, which would be a much better deterrent, not to mention a money saver for the hospitals!

As to the Nurofen form signing - well, there are risks. Considering that prescription medication requires a trip to the Doctor, I see no major hassle in a quick chat with a chemist. Good really because it might make people consider the fact that all over the counter painkillers are still drugs that shouldn't be taken with as much frequency and little consideration as many people do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I buy Neurofen (both the plus & the normal smartie like ones) in Boots in Liffey Valley Shopping Centre frequently and they've never asked me to sign any forms! They don't ask me any questions at all!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement