Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots & Nurofen: Must sign consent form & listen to legal jargon before buying

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Why is this a Consumer Issue? The pharmacy is being proactive in making patient's aware of the possible side effects of the meds. Would the same people be complaining in the medicine forum if they got an ulcer as a result of taking ibuprofen, and no one had ever told them not to take it so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

But in saying that, some weeks ago I bought Uniflu plus for a headcold, which has Codeine in it and unfortunately the person in the pharmacy told me it has Paracetamol in it, which is incorrect as that's ordinary Uniflu.

This illustrates why it is important for people to be informed when buying over the counter medicines what cautions need to be taken. Both Uniflu and Uniflu Plus contain the same amount of paracetamol...the only difference is Uniflu plus also contains codeine (there are no codeine-only painkillers available OTC in Ireland).

It is EXTREMELY important to be aware which medicines that you are taking contain paracetamol and how much (1 x Lemsip Max sachet contains 1g of paracetamol - the equivalent of two normal paracetamol tablets). As was explained above, it is all too easy to do damage to your liver with paracetamol use, even easier when someone is taking Solpadeine, Panadol and Lemsip for their cold without realising they are overdosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Can't believe the amount of people who do stuff like that....

They think that because its a different brand name they can't overdose, stupid. Too much and you'll get some serious consequences.

Boots are in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

But in saying that, some weeks ago I bought Uniflu plus for a headcold, which has Codeine in it and unfortunately the person in the pharmacy told me it has Paracetamol in it, which is incorrect as that's ordinary Uniflu.

Sorry but you're wrong and the person in the pharmacy was right. Both Uniflu and Uniflu Plus contain paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry but you're wrong and the person in the pharmacy was right. Both Uniflu and Uniflu Plus contain paracetamol.
    Yes, and it would be far more normal for them to warn you about the paracetamol, since it would be the one most would be at risk of overdosing on. I think the only reason you can buy codeine OTC is because it is combined with other drugs which are dangerous in high doses (i.e. you cannot get codeine on its own OTC, and you would not be able to get it combined with more benign drugs, like say vitamin C). i.e. the codeine is there in relatively low doses, if you took solpadeine in high doses it would be the paracetamol doing you the damage, not the codeine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

it's only a matter of time before the likes of Solpadeine and Nurofen will be prescription only, there seems to be a strong group lobbying for it.
    you mean the pharmacists and Irish medicines board so they can rip us off even more. Drug dispension in this country's a joke. A complete sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sean_17

I'm so glad to see them making an issue of the dangers of over the counter medicines, I think it should be widely implemented. No-one realises the harm they do, the addiction, any potential health risks. People just pop em in everytime they get the slightest ache without thinking twice, personally unless I'm in agony I won't take them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement