Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord references

Options
  • 10-07-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Myself and my boyfriend have recently returned home from a years travelling. he has returned to his old job (very lucky considering how economy changed since we left.) im on career break, returning to permanent job in sept. have decided to move into an apartment together around august. bf has always lived at home (i'm getting him away from mammy now) and ive house-shared for the two years before we went travelling.
    so when ads for apartments list landlord references in their ad, how will that work for us? he's 27 and i'm 26, so its not like we are two young students leaving home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Can't say too many landlords/agents will be enforcing this in the current climate.

They'll just be so happy to be getting tenants in.

In any case, employer references are just as good as landlord references, especially if you explain the travelling situation they'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

i agree with the above that if you explain the situation most people will be understanding.

The last two places i rented said refs in the ad but once i viewed the place etc they were never mentioned again.

most could be a way to weed out undesirable tenants or an excuse to refuse people they don't like the look off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you have job references and a reference, even from someone you shared with back a few years ago, that will probably do the job. At the end of the day, it is up to the landlord what they are prepared to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Bit of a generalisation, but I've found that agencies usually ask for references, wheras if you deal with the landlord directly then they never bother...

One more reason to avoid agencies...

Advertisement