Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed IP address

Options
  • 10-07-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭

Ok, I am now allowed the facility to work from home.

To do this I think I need a fixed IP address. I currently have Fastcom (fastcom.ie) broadband and they can give me a fixed IP.

What is a fixed IP?
    Will it cause me any problems as I use connection for myself too and to play PS3 (priorities)?
    I have trouble connecting to the EA servers playing FIFA 09, will this fix that by any side effect chance? I have tried all that opening port lark but no success.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Ok, I am now allowed the facility to work from home.

To do this I think I need a fixed IP address. I currently have Fastcom (fastcom.ie) broadband and they can give me a fixed IP.

What is a fixed IP?
    Will it cause me any problems as I use connection for myself too and to play PS3 (priorities)?
    I have trouble connecting to the EA servers playing FIFA 09, will this fix that by any side effect chance? I have tried all that opening port lark but no success.

Fixed/Static IP just means everytime you want to use the internet the local DHCP server will assign the same address, in other words your IP will never change.

I doubt having a dynamic or a static IP has any difference to connecting to game servers, sounds more like a configuration problem on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Is eircom broadband a fixed IP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not home broadband no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I would check with your IT adminstrator to see whether or not they would require you to have a fixed IP address to log into the systems at work.

It isn't always entirely necessary to have a fixed IP address to do this. Any company I've worked with in the past never did this - they just used a decent VPN system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What pizzahead said. Unless they require a fixed IP so they can only allow traffic from your IP but a decent VPN client using ipsec will do the job fine. It is secure, requires a passkey as well as a username/password and its all encrypted so pretty safe.

They might require a box to box vpn but that is unlikely and even if it is, you can still have a dynamic address and get the box to box vpn working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement