Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Book Shop

Options
  • 10-07-2009 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good second hand book shop in limerick?
    I know about the one down by the side of the round house but anre there any other good ones?
    Thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My girlfriend was telling me about a new one the other day that's supposed to be pretty good.
    It's either next door to, or above, the Christian Bookshop opposite Bean A' Tí cake-shop.
    I haven't been there myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Is browsers still around on william street ? THey used to do second hand books ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

An File wrote: »
    My girlfriend was telling me about a new one the other day that's supposed to be pretty good.
    It's either next door to, or above, the Christian Bookshop opposite Bean A' Tí cake-shop.
    I haven't been there myself though.

thats a great shop, he's been there a few years now, has a huge stock in the shop and an even bigger amount of books in the attic, everything and anything! wasted many an afternoon in that place. He has a few LP's there aswell, ive made some good finds!

its above the christian book shop, entrance is beside the back door of guineys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

RINO87 wrote: »
    thats a great shop, he's been there a few years now, has a huge stock in the shop and an even bigger amount of books in the attic, everything and anything! wasted many an afternoon in that place. He has a few LP's there aswell, ive made some good finds!

its above the christian book shop, entrance is beside the back door of guineys.

Very badly organised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭RINO87

Very badly organised though.

definatley, but thats one of the thigs i kinda like about the place!

• Advertisement

RINO87 wrote: »
    definatley, but thats one of the thigs i kinda like about the place!

It's grand when you have time to browse, but it can get annoying when books are just piled on to shelves without any sort of rhyme or reason. He should cull a bit of his stock too, he has no quality control, some great stuff, some stuff that's absolute rubbish.

The template for any second hand book store should be Charlie Byrnes in Galway.

That's not to fully knock the place on Catherine street, I've found some great stuff in there too but it could be improved with a small bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

There is also a place in the lane way between Roches street and Thomas street , across from the entrance to the multi story car park .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,883 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's grand when you have time to browse, but it can get annoying when books are just piled on to shelves without any sort of rhyme or reason. He should cull a bit of his stock too, he has no quality control, some great stuff, some stuff that's absolute rubbish.

The template for any second hand book store should be Charlie Byrnes in Galway.

That's not to fully knock the place on Catherine street, I've found some great stuff in there too but it could be improved with a small bit of effort.

That's true, spent a lot of my time in there. Unfortunately, they won't take in any more fiction books coz they have too many. :mad: I like to trade mine in for different ones but if they aren't gonna take mine in, I'm not gonna take out any more! Takes two to tango...

I asked in O' Mahoney's where there was a second hand bookshop in Limerick and they couldn't tell me!!

jonski wrote: »
    There is also a place in the lane way between Roches street and Thomas street , across from the entrance to the multi story car park .

I've passed it but never gone in, is it any good? Always looks shut up when I pass.

mars bar wrote: »
    That's true, spent a lot of my time in there. Unfortunately, they won't take in any more fiction books coz they have too many. :mad: I like to trade mine in for different ones but if they aren't gonna take mine in, I'm not gonna take out any more! Takes two to tango...

Tbf to Charlie Byrnes, it couldn't get any bigger than it is now in the same place, and it would be very to find a new place that would have the same character. I would love to see him open a second shop in either Galway, or preferably Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Used to be one on Thomas St I think - Tony Clarkes was the name, must be 20+ years since I was there, so its probably gone with the ark at this stage....:rolleyes:

Advertisement