Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public workers earn 48 per cent more than others

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BeQuiet

Riskymove wrote: »
    there have been many private companies that ran such pension schemes but they have been becoming rarer...there was a dispute in recent years at Bank of Ireland over changes in its scheme

I have no doubt that the pension scheme will be changed for new entrants to public service at some point

About 15 years too late for the country!
    (and about 25 years later than the private sector did this)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BeQuiet wrote: »
    About 15 years too late for the country!
    (and about 25 years later than the private sector did this)

better late than never....

and the bank was doing it in the last year or two not 25 years ago

better late than never....

and the bank was doing it in the last year or two not 25 years ago

My point was that it is about 25 years later than the private sector (not a bank) did this.

Most private sector employers moved from Final-salary pension schemes to defined-benefit schemes in the 1980's , so approx 20 - 25 years ago I would estimate.

as per his recent Sunday indo piece, all he is interested in is removing the travel tax so Ryanair can make more money

The man is focussed on what gets results - for him.
    He doesnt have any interest in the public good - thats not his area.
    And he doesnt pretend to - u got to admire him for that at least .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

as per his recent Sunday indo piece, all he is interested in is removing the travel tax so Ryanair can make more money

In fairness to Michael O'Leary, your comment is not true. ( not in relation to the Sunday Indo piece I read a few weeks ago anyway, in which M O'L was interested and had comments on far more than the travel tax )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The man is focussed on what gets results - for him.
    He doesnt have any interest in the public good - thats not his area.
    And he doesnt pretend to - u got to admire him for that at least .:)

er...the whole point of the piece was "what would you do to get the economy back on track" or similar

answer - remove travel tax....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LeSageMignon

Dare I offer my opinion here?! :eek:

Yes, public sector workers traditionally have had good reliable pensions and currently, compared to those who have been made redundant or had wage reductions, seem to have good salaries. However, the ordinary ground force workers are on such bad wages, compared with private sector, that they qualify for affordable housing and the likes. Also, they chose these jobs mainly for the security and decent pensions despite some conditions that private sector workers wouldn't put up with. (How many private sector workers would like to clean up vomit and give enemas, try to calm down and care for violent scumbags in A&E, work for 7 hours without a toilet break cos there simply isn't time, etc.)

Anyone I know who works in the public sector earns between 26 and 42 thousand euro per year. All are university-educated and work their asses off.

I understand that it's infuriating to read about over-inflated salaries being paid by The State but please remember that most of these are to the higher up workers, including politicians. The very hard-woking teachers, nurses, gardai and doctors (amongst others) deserve better pay and decent pensions. Cuts should be made elsewhere...like in anything unnecessary, such as Judges being given sets of personally tailored Louis Copeland suits (fact)! I'm sure there are thousands of ridiculous examples like this. Also there are many office-based civil servants who do f all and this definitely needs to be sorted out. (I worked there and saw it first-hand).

In terms of the politicians' wages, perks and ridiculous summer break I think the only thing for it is a revolution...including some guillotines at College Green :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the private sector is having to carry the weight of a seriously bloated public sector which it can no longer afford to do. The whole benchmarking process should be thrown into reverse! as mentioned in the SINDO on Sunday or the week before!

The very hard-woking teachers, nurses, gardai and doctors (amongst others) deserve better pay and decent pensions. Cuts should be made elsewhere...

the problem there is after you remove all those type of jobs you are left with really very little

for example i think the entire civil service is around thirty odd thousand out of around 300,000

the majority are in health and education, there is no getting away from that.

The main areas which are need of reform are the HSE and then the more general public sector reform in admin areas such as issues like underperformance etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

just to weigh in on the pensions issue (again, jimmy is making the exact same arguments he made last time).

1. private pension schemes are investments in stocks with the hope of getting a high rate of return as well.

2. in addition to the return given to the private investor, the agent doing the investment gets anything above that return.

And before you say that there are no alternatives, I would urge you to have a look at the savings schemes offered by An Post: 21% tax free return after 5 years? 10% tax free after 2 years? anyone could easily set up a rolling investment in one of those accounts if not the actual an post pension account itself.

now, if the pension fund was invested in government bonds the pension would have been guaranteed and would have yielded a nominal rate of return (as the public servant pensions supposedly are). However, either through their own choice or through the greed of the investment agent, private pensions were invested in the stock market which subsequently collapsed. Anyone have any figures on how the Anpost schemes have fared over this period?

You could have invested in government bonds but you CHOSE to invest in a pension fund with the potential for a higher return. that unfortunately meant a higher risk. and this time the risk didnt pay off. (but pension plans have paid huge dividends in recent years up to the market collapse, I didnt see much complaint about the level of public servant pensions then).

having said the above, I am well aware that some investment schemes from banks were more than a little liberal with the truth. My brother's fund for his children for example lost over 75% of its value even though only 25% of it is supposed to be invested in volatile stocks...

I am also only talking about the public servant pensions earned after years of service. I strongly disagree with the level of pension given to TDs etc after only 5(?) years when they can go and work at whatever other career they had before their public service (on top of a generous wage while they did it).

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The whole benchmarking process should be thrown into reverse! as mentioned in the SINDO on Sunday or the week before!

the problem there is a general assumption thata new benchmarking would result in significant cuts for the public sector...i am not so sure of that

at this stage I am coming around to thinking that the answer might be to present the removal of the previous benchmarking awards as the public service pay cut

but that's probably because I disliked benchmarking so much

LoLth wrote: »
    1. private pension schemes are investments in stocks with the hope of getting a high rate of return as well.

indeed and many people with private pension funds who retired at the height of the boom would have far better pensions than others previously or since

LoLth wrote: »
    just to weigh in on the pensions issue (again, jimmy is making the exact same arguments he made last time).

Jimmy's arguments are excellent - there is no reason he should not repeat them.

Your point is very long and well argued tho imho - fair play.

How about this for a suggestion - anyone who posts here should firstly announce whether they are on the gov payroll (incl quangos, etc)... that way we can know if they have a vested interest.

I will start - no I am not - and when i retire in another 18 years , i currently expect my pension to be about 11000 pa and no lump sum (thats the reality of working in the pvt sector)

(thats the reality of working in the pvt sector)

thats another generality...sure there are lots of people who will rely on the state pensions but there are many, many people in the private sector with extremely well off pensions

Jimmy's arguments are excellent - there is no reason he should not repeat them.

Your point is very long and well argued tho imho - fair play.

How about this for a suggestion - anyone who posts here should firstly announce whether they are on the gov payroll (incl quangos, etc)... that way we can know if they have a vested interest.

Thank you for that BeQuiet, and good suggestion. There are people with good arguments on both sides. However, I have got a warning for what I have said today, so I will not enquire are further about vested interests.

thats another generality...sure there are lots of people who will rely on the state pensions but there are many, many people in the private sector with extremely well off pensions
    thats another generality...about a million people in the private sector ( as far as I know ) do not have pensions, apart from the basic state pension. Many of the rest -indeed the majority of the remainder - have seen their pensions slashed, and few will enjoy the generous guaranteed pensions that all permanent public retired servants now enjoy. Take the example of a Garda taking early retirement ; his / her pension pot is estimated to be worth well over one million euro....how many private sector people- on typical private sector wages - could hope to build up to that pension pot ? How many people in their fifties in private sector have that guaranteed pension pot ? There are a hell of a lot more private sector people unemployed.

jimmmy wrote: »
    thats another generality....

jimmmy I really don't want to be dragged into this stuff again today and have Mods on to me, can you please stop over-reacting to things I post

all I am saying is that its a generality to suggest private sector=no pension

i didn't say anything about public pensions or how they compare or anything like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Is it possible to get a % breakdown of the public sector population by salary(X% on 20k-25k, y% on 26k-30k, z% on 30k-35k)?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Most other pensions have been reduced or "slashed" as you put it .... those lucky enough to have them ( something like a million private sector peoople do not ). In contrast to this, public service pensions have not been reduced....not yet anyway;)

I still don't think you get the idea of not putting all public sector workers in the same box. There are many of us that will not be made permanent and won't see a pension and are still paying a pension levy. blah blah blah

If you don't like ths system then fine, have you a problem with all Public Sector workers? I worked in the private sector for years and I haven't changed since I went to the public sector.

• Advertisement

solice wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a % breakdown of the public sector population by salary(X% on 20k-25k, y% on 26k-30k, z% on 30k-35k)?

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2007/nes_2007.pdf

page 8 has a general breakdown based on hourly rates

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Jimmy's arguments are excellent - there is no reason he should not repeat them...

How many times?

Ms Happy wrote: »
    I still don't think you get the idea of not putting all public sector workers in the same box.

Of course not all public sector workers have the same salary, conditions etc etc ...I never said or suggested they are.

Ms Happy wrote: »
    If you don't like ths system then fine, have you a problem with all Public Sector workers?

No I do not have a problem with all public sector workers themselves...in fact I have many friends who are public service workers, some of whom tell me of the waste and everything else etc in the public sector system. Some even admit the public service in general is overpaid, that pensions + other perks are over generous given the state of the economy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/2007/nes_2007.pdf

page 8 has a general breakdown based on hourly rates

Thanks, but was hoping for an annual salary breakdown, would help in some calculation of final salaries and pension payments and to see if people really do/dont contribute enough...

Anyone know where I can get a breakdown like that and some info on the payscales for the various depts in the public sector?
    No I do not have a problem with all public sector workers themselves...in fact I have many friends who are public service workers

LOL :D

I dont have a problem with (*insert social minority*), some of my best friends are (*insert social minority*)!

solice wrote: »
    Thanks, but was hoping for an annual salary breakdown, would help in some calculation of final salaries and pension payments and to see if people really do/dont contribute enough...

annual salaries are all published for public sector

try Union websites or Department of Finance website

How many times?

As many as is necessary to get the point across to all the (apparent) public svc staff posting here , busy defending their positions and massive financial entitlements..... its a tough job, but fair play to him ... he keeps at it .

What about getting back to the subject in hand ...we seem to have drifted off to the pensions side of things ... understandable of course when it is such a massive benefit for public sector staff

But still ... 48% higher paid , and it is per a CSO report ....

Anybody have any more good suggestions for how this high discrepancy can be reduced immediately ... its our civic duty to give the gov some good ideas ... ye never know, Brian Lenihan may be reading this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

it was 48% in 2007, when the private sector was booming, and that was before they received another round of benchmarking, its atleast 50% now!

But still ... 48% higher paid , and it is per a CSO report ....

I posted this on the thread on the irish economy forum in an attempt to show that, despite the Indo's best efforts, the CSO report does not mean that private sector workers earn 48% than private sector workers...

"The CSO have produced stats showing that the average Public sector is X and the average in the private sector is Y

So X is 48% higher than Y

That does not mean that "Public sector workers are paid 48% higher than private sector"
    The only way that could be correct is if ALL public service earned X and ALL private sector earned Y

I am a public servant

am i paid 48% more than some private sector workers...yes
    am i paid 48% more than some public sector workers...yes

are there private sector workers earning 48% more than me..yes
    are there public sector workers earning 48% more than me..yes

are there private sector workers earning 100% (and higher) more than me.yes
    are there public sector workers earning 100% (and higher) more than me..yes

these average comparisons mean little in the real world "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

What about getting back to the subject in hand ...we seem to have drifted off to the pensions side of things ... understandable of course when it is such a massive benefit for public sector staff

oh ffs, now you're doing it. taking it as a given and getting in a sneaky "last word" by making a throwaway comment. Go read the otehr threads on this, the math was given, the figures, real figures were given by one poster that showed that the amount paid over 30 years service covers teh amount expected to be returned. additionally, what about thos in the public sector on contracts who are paying the levy and super-annuation and are now, most likely , not going to be made permanent and not only will lose their job when their contract expires but will also not be able to recoup the money paid in the pension fund. If you want to debate a topic, debate the topic. these "subtle" digs and remarks from yourself and jimmy are just serving to cloud the issue.

and saying the same thing again and again is not discussion or debate. If you believe you are right and people are not agreeing with you then surely common sense would dictate that you are not explaining it correctly? so surely the best thing would be to change the record and stop copy/pasting the same post again and again hoping for a different reaction... isnt that a sign of madness or something ?

Advertisement