Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public workers earn 48 per cent more than others

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

irish_bob wrote: »
    jimmy , i agree with almost everything you say but never underestimate the cynicism of the irish people , while most of us dont work in the public sector , as ive said before , everyone has a relative who does , anyone who has a son , daughter , wife or brother , sister who works in the public sector will support them all the way , we like to keep money in the family in this country even it means breaking the country

Many do not have a " son , daughter , wife or brother , sister who works in the public sector". "keeping money in the family" does not come in to it when its costing the country - you + me - over 30 million per DAY.
    Even if I had a brother who was eg the public service vet paid almost double what his p.s. counterpart north of the border is paid, I would not defend the scandal of p.s. pay.

However, irish-bob, I take your point about the electorate...thats why cross part action / agreement is necessary to tackle the issue...a bit like the "Tallaght strategy" years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

jimmmy wrote: »
    Many do not have a " son , daughter , wife or brother , sister who works in the public sector". "keeping money in the family" does not come in to it when its costing the country - you + me - over 30 million per DAY.
    Even if I had a brother who was eg the public service vet paid almost double what his p.s. counterpart north of the border is paid, I would not defend the scandal of p.s. pay.

However, irish-bob, I take your point about the electorate...thats why cross part action / agreement is necessary to tackle the issue...a bit like the "Tallaght strategy" years ago.

nor do i funny enough although my mum was a nurse but is retired a long time but i definatley think a majority of irish people like to see thier relatives however close holding on to sweet deals

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭HollyB

hollyg wrote: »
    i see that the davy research you give link to compares "third level degree or higher" in PS at 35 euro per hour to 25 euro per hour in the private sector.
    what does this comparison mean? the large numbers with basic arts and science and business degrees lumped in with the smaller number of people with work-targeted 4th level and professional qualifications?

Very little, I would say. Somebody with a third level degree who was working in McDonalds or a supermarket for the minimum wage, or somebody who had just started work at a company that paid newly graduated employees a low salary until they were more experienced would bring down the average hourly wages for the private sector considerably.

McDonalds is hardly going to match the starting salary for an AO in the Civil Service - €35,132 pa. - for employees with a third level qualification if they're doing the same work as somebody whose education did not progress to third level.

The like for like comparison that's needed would be to compare jobs, not the education of the employee. Benchmarking 2 did that, applying a 12% premium to public sector pay for the job security and pension arrangements. Does anybody know if they recommended pay decreases for any public sector workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

HollyB wrote: »
    Very little, I would say. Somebody with a third level degree who was working in McDonalds or a supermarket for the minimum wage, or somebody who had just started work at a company that paid newly graduated employees a low salary until they were more experienced would bring down the average hourly wages for the private sector considerably.

McDonalds is hardly going to match the starting salary for an AO in the Civil Service - €35,132 pa. - for employees with a third level qualification if they're doing the same work as somebody whose education did not progress to third level.

The like for like comparison that's needed would be to compare jobs, not the education of the employee. Benchmarking 2 did that, applying a 12% premium to public sector pay for the job security and pension arrangements. Does anybody know if they recommended pay decreases for any public sector workers?

i agree , you dont pay someone based on thier level of education , many people are over qualified for the job they do

Advertisement