Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please tell me did this ever happen ..even once.

• 10-07-2009 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

dose it ever realy happen ...when you grew up did anyone get a moment of maturity and regret the way you behaved as teenager and all the trouble and worry you caused your parents...realise that your parents loved you and were doing there best...

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

God yeah. Everyone does.

"we arent angry, we're disapointed..." man they words hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

God yeah. Everyone does.

Oh yeah. And the quiet disapproving look (and then not speaking to you for a few days) instead of roaring at you.....that used to really get me. Much worse than a b*ll***ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Yeah as was said everyone gets them....probably more often when you have kids of your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

No, though I've never done anything wrong, ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

God yeah. Everyone does.

I thought it was only my parents that said that. Used to feel like a knife in the heart when they would say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RedHotChiliman

Well thank god im not the only one ! yep def got the ole regret tinges....
    so i'll make sure they get a nice window with a view in the nursing home!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

So does " We expected better from you" or "We didn't raise you to act like this".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

From talking friends, it has happened to all of them eventually. For most people it hits in the mid-twenties, others are a bit older. A few acquaintances never realise it. I'd break those few down into 3 main groups

1. The ones who genuinely had dreadful parents that were not capable of rearing children (for whatever reasons).
    2. The ones who are still very immature (for a variety of reasons).
    3. The ones who are thoughtless, selfish morons who waltz through life oblivious to the needs/desires of others, and fail to realise that other people have feelings, and that it's not all about them.

I generally never meet with people from group 3 more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Im an orphan. bet you feel like crap asking that question now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Im an orphan. bet you feel like crap asking that question now.

Back to the ophinarium with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Oh god yes!! And I was a right pain in the a**e aswell, I just hope that if I ever have kids they won't be like me in my evil teenage years. I hated the world and everyone in it. My poor mother got the brunt of it we laugh about it now but it was pretty terrible for a few years, after I moved out I saw what a little cow I'd been. She was also very controlling though but fair play to her she will admit that now, all cause she loved us though!! :D Don't know how, i'll be trading them in if I get one like me!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No, though I've never done anything wrong, ever!

who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

you remember that? do ya!? huh!!? all those years getting us blamed for it!!! own up already!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Only very few individuals don't think that OP.

There are alot of moments I'd like to take back or redo particularly as my folks are now getting properly old and I live in a different country.

As much as I hate quoting songs in posts (cos it makes me cringe) That speech in the Baz Luherman song is appropriate: "Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future."

Ah growing up sucks..... Oh to be young again with the knowledge I have now. I'd be a god amoungst children :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

mariaalice wrote: »
    .when you grew up did anyone get a moment of maturity and regret the way you behaved as teenager and all the trouble and worry you caused your parents

Only towards my Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Oh yeah. And the quiet disapproving look (and then not speaking to you for a few days) instead of roaring at you.....that used to really get me. Much worse than a b*ll***ing.

Yeah, that was really bad, made me wish I could reverse time and not do what I had done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mariaalice wrote: »
    dose it ever realy happen ...when you grew up did anyone get a moment of maturity and regret the way you behaved as teenager and all the trouble and worry you caused your parents...realise that your parents loved you and were doing there best...

'grew up' hehehehehehehehahahahahahahahohohohoh good 1 mate heheheheh:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

no, not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Back to the ophinarium with you

*scoots away*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Well I'm a teenager now and I'm smart enough not to get caught so maybe thats your problem!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My favourite is the classic scenario where you really want to go somewhere or do something even though its interrupting a family plan or event, and it all boils down to a disappointing shake of the head and:

"Fine...just go. Just go."

And being a teenager those words simply = VICTORY without second thought. I feel bad about some of them. How was I supposed to know Granny was going to pass away while I was at Blade Trinity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No but I got a moment when I realised that my parents were wrong about most things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Seeing my parents cry when they arrived in to the hospital to see me on a spinal board and oxygen mask after yet another unexpectedly sudden stop. Broken wrist, Cracked ribs, Whiplash bruised kidneys and sprained ankles dont hurt too much compared to seein your parents bawling because you were a silly cnut. That slowed me down far quicker than the ditch did. And the bones all healed fine but 12 years later and a tiny piece of me still hurts like fuk when i think about that look on their faces then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

No. As a teenager, I never:
    snuck out of the house
    got in trouble at school
    did drugs or drink alcohol
    went to or threw parties without permission
    stayed out past curfew
    skipped school
    lied about where I was
    lied about who I was with
    had sex

And I always:
    brought home good grades
    did what my parents and teachers asked of me

If I regret anything, it's that I didn't cause them more trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

no, not really

Me neither. I was terrible in school but never misbehaved apart from that, never snuck out and didn't start drinking/smoking 'til I went to college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Can't say I've ever felt like that. I was generally very "good" as a teen. Never really caused my parents to be angry/disappointed. Likewise if I ever got close to it they didn't fly off the handle and make it worse like most parents. Wasn't a deep understanding and well thought out system we had with each other or anything. Just generally pretty lax. Only time I can think of that had that "disappointed" air about it was when I was sick one time after drinking too much. But I was way over 18. Dad didn't approve. He felt one way, I felt another. I don't regret it and wish I could take it back or any such thing.

Teenagers generally try to push things too far, and parents usually overreact to most situations. Everyone needs to slow down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Never got in trouble when i was younger, mainly because i lived in the sticks. Only trouble i could have gotten into was bothering sheep and i was too lazy to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

That's life, was done to me, I had my moments of clarity........now I blackmail my kids emotionally, great fun....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'm a teenager right now and I actually like both my parents, so no, I dont think I'll grow up and regret how I acted.

If I think something will annoy/hurt my mother I either won't do it or will make sure she doesn't find out, though generally other than the odd "Yeah of course his parents are home, I wouldn't dream of being unsupervised, getting a bit drunk and taking a trip to the fancy holiday village near his house" (by the way, if you have a holiday home near Rosslare don't let your kids use the slide) I don't have that much to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

No, that b!tch deserved every bit of lip.

Advertisement