Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a good idea or am i mad?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

i have a question.. i hope this is the right forum (want a girls view rather than a fitness fanatic so didn't post over there!) but please feel free to move if not...

ok I need some motivation to lose weight. basically if i am left to my own devices i will stay on the couch watching "friends" reruns forever! i moved in with my OH a year ago and its been seriously downhill weightwise. i used to live with a girl and we used to go walking at least three times a week and we were great at motivating each other on eating healthy etc - i was really healthy and sorta skinny then. the OH is naturally tall and skinny and has quite a physical job so he doesn't appreciate being dragged around the block for walks... (GRRR!).

so my question is: do you think it is a good idea to sort of advertise for a "diet/fitness buddy" - some one that would be available a couple of evenings a week to meet up and go for a walk with and discuss how we're getting on dietwise? i lost my job and have taken a massive wage cut in the new one so i can't afford the gym (i hated it anyway) but i love walking.. i just can't seem to motivate myself into doing in though. or would it be a bit nuts? i can't make up my mind!

opinions?

thanks a million! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Rayven199

Thats a cool idea, having an exercise/diet buddy, wish I had one!! I know exactly how you feel, I moved in with my OH about 9 months ago and the weight started going up. Lately I have taken to going for a 10-20 minute jog at night with our dog and trying to cut down on the crap I eat, I work in an office so don't get much exercise in here!
    I'm sure that there are others in the same boat as us and i would say you would find someone if you looked!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

No friends you could go running with, etc?

Try this website [url]www.stickk.com:[/url] you might find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I have thought about this too and think its a great idea! I love walking too and would be much more motivated if I had someone to go with. The time passes more quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

taconnol - don't have any friends that live near me so thats that one out, had thought of that! thanks for the link though, i will check it out.

Rayven, i wish i had a dog. i think that would sort all my problems out as i'd feel bad if i didn't take him for a walk - no talking the OH into that one though...

thanks for the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

toodelies if you lived near me we could go walking! Will PM you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭toodelies

Sinall that would be mega! i hope you live near me now... will save me having to prostitute myself over in fitness (scaarreedd at the thought!). looking forward to your PM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Not a mad idea at all, have thought about doing it myself. I tired doing it with some friends but we could never work out a time that suited us - mornings suited me and evenings her and I ended up slacking and using it as an excuse. I think having someone that you know just for working out with your more likely to push each other and get results.

My mum did something similar for playing golf, she looked for golf buddies to play with as none of her friends played and she actually made some really great friends out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

toodelies wrote: »
    Sinall that would be mega! i hope you live near me now... will save me having to prostitute myself over in fitness (scaarreedd at the thought!). looking forward to your PM

we don't bite!!..... much:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

good on ya girl!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

if all else fails you could consider an exercise dvd, as long as you keep doing the exercises they really work and the bonus is you do it when you want. if you go down that road let me know and i will post you a few titles i find good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

(want a girls view rather than a fitness fanatic so didn't post over there!)

:(

For what it's worth: I think having a fitness buddy makes a HUGE difference. Myself and a friend go to the (company subsidised) gym at lunch and he's been injured recently....well....I've found it very hard to get up off my bum and go tbh.

edit:
    will save me having to prostitute myself over in fitness (scaarreedd at the thought!).

Jaysus. Is the fitness forum really that scary? (serious question...cos if it is, I'd like to change that somehow...apologies for the off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Ill join you too if you all live near me...mabey we should start a boards walking club....I might actully bite the bullet & get married next year so want to be a skinny minny....depends on finances & how drunk I get(hoping for a Las Vegas shindig)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Back at Easter i took the plunge and got out and went for a walk.

I did this consistently every other day for about a month always at around the same time and seemed to bump into the same person around half way through my walk, never took any notice as i had headphones on.

About 6/7 weeks of meeting this person and just nodding politely as our paths crossed one evening she stopped me and asked if i would be interested in meeting up and walking together from the same point, after the randomness of this request subsided i decided sure why not, my ipod wasn't much company.

Next night we met up, found out she is doing it to lose weight her wedding - to which i am now invited. We walk 4 nights a week around 4/5 miles a session my weight loss has been very noticeable.

There is great motivation in knowing someone is waiting for you to show up plus it helps to have a pacemaker to make sure you are not just out for a leisurely stroll and doing some real exercise.

Go for it OP, Im not sure what i'm going to do when she gets married because she doesn't think she will keep it up, i just hope i have the motivation to continue, i really want to lose another good bit.

Maddison wrote: »
    mabey we should start a boards walking club

Nice idea there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The idea of a boards walking club or a find a gym buddy forum sounds good, maybe a sub forum of fitness?
    Khannie wrote: »
    Jaysus. Is the fitness forum really that scary? (serious question...cos if it is, I'd like to change that somehow...apologies for the off topic)

I wouldn't say scary but alot of people take their work outs very serious and I think newbies can worry about saying something wrong and making themselves sound silly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Nice idea there.
    Deffo, propose a forum/sub-forum and you'll have my vote plus I'm guessing a load more too!!
    I go to the gym with my OH but I was injured for a while then he was and its so hard to get back into it, plus is so much easier to cry off when its your OH...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Would definitely be up for something like this! Lovely beach walks out my way, I hate walking on my own so always trying to drag someone out with me, my boyfriend would be very happy to get rid of his walking duties :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Yes it is scary. A lot of the regular posters are consistently harsh and aggressive.

There are also a lot of extremely helpful and friendly posters, such as yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Mmm a walking club... sounds great! Anybody in Dublin 14/16/18?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say it's scary but it's very gym/weightlifting oriented so if you ask about anything "lighter" like walking or toning you'll get free weights recommendations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Great idea.

Thanks for the honest feedback on the fitness forum (apologies again OP for the slight hijack there). I'm away with work at the moment (so not online much) but I might get back to ye on the walking club thing (or someone can just fire ahead and start a thread). I think it's a really good idea, though I'd have some mild safety reservations I'm sure they could be overcome with some cop on.

edit: of course it doesn't have to be a fitness forum thing either....if y'all think it'd be better to start it up in tLL then fire ahead by all means. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Yes it is scary. A lot of the regular posters are consistently harsh and aggressive.

There are also a lot of extremely helpful and friendly posters, such as yourself.

And there's some really annoying posters too:rolleyes:;)

Could TLL have a Ladies Fitness Sub-Forum??
    or would that be sexist or some-such?

Or a Fitness 4 Beginners type of thing where people that are finding it difficult to motivate themselves/have got into bad eating/exercising habits & are looking to start off lightly. I went walking with one of the lads in work around the Phoenix park...we started at the Garda HQ and I made it as far as the far side of the park but I ended up with the biggest blister on the back of my foot so I made him run back over to the other side to get my car:o Now that was embarrasing!! Starting off lightly, mabey taking longer walks by the week...then we could all help motivate each other....Im in D11 If anyone else is in that area. We should try get a poll up(Ive no idea how to) with area codes & who would be up to it....Remember safety in numbers people especially If we are going to do evening walks.

walking will do nothing for you, you need to have a much more harder workout. walking is for old people.

That's not true, I lost a stone in 3 weeks when I went to Amsterdam - from nothing but walking and sighseeing for a couple of hours everyday (I absolutely loved to sample their great foods, no special diet of any kind). It crept up again in the following years though and I'd love to lose it for good!

walking will do nothing for you, you need to have a much more harder workout. walking is for old people.

Really....well why do doctors recommend it then?? I lost 5 stone within 8 months I went to the gym 6 nights a week but in all that time I walked for miles every day. Irish Heart Foundation recommend it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

never. maby if u were a very fat person walking will have advantage but really a hard 20 minute run with lots of weights is the best way to get toned up for female.

eh hello im a fitness and nutrition expert i think i know a little bit what im talking about:rolleyes:

walking is a nice pastime, and its great and wonderful but it won't do anything really once your body gets used to the routine.

I bet rolling your eyes gets you plenty of custom:rolleyes: Your mannerisms leave a lot to be desired.
    I could show you before & after pics that would make you eat your words.

I walked every single day for 8 months & the weight continued to fall off me....then when I lost all I could lose I began to tone up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

And there's some really annoying posters too:rolleyes:;)

Well, you know how to solve that problem. Ignore list.

Advertisement