Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

11W CFL's at B&Q - for 25cent!

• 10-07-2009 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Note: this maybe be a mis-price, and it may only apply in Cork but.....

B&Q Mahon Point Retail Park had "MyPlanet" CFL bulbs - quite neat little thing - bayonet cap - would fit ordinary bulb holders quite nicely (well a little taller in reality). They are not with the other bulbs - they are scattered around the shop on those hanging strap/promotion type displays. They are marked €1.50 - "Buy One Get One Free" - so I thought 75cent each - that's OK. Well - at the checkout (I used the self-service one) they came up as 50cent each - and then after every 2 they gave me 50cent refund..... ie I got 6 bulbs for €1.50!!

Bulbs are the usual - 11W equiv to 60W incandescent. Box says they are "warmwhite" - I've tried one out - seems quite a pleasant colour once it has warmed up.

Even at 75cent they are a good deal - at 25c they are a steal!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I saw some GE 20w bulbs in there last week for €9 a piece.
    Tesco in the UK were selling them for 10p earlier this year.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Good price, sometimes Homebase has Philips Genie ones for 50c or less each.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tintar

very good price, i may get a few.

btw, avoid the cfl's from Aldi, i bought 2 for about 4 quid each. 1 fused after just a month (my fault, I put it into a dimming socket. the control was kept at maximum, though) But the other one was on a normal socket & blew 2 weeks after the first one fused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Can anyone confirm or deny that these are still in stock in Mahon? We have replaced all our bulbs with cfls (at great expense, mind you!) but these would be handy to have when they do die, also want to pick up a few for my dad. (even at the price of 1.50 for 2, still good value, if the price the op was charged has been changed/corrected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've posted this before, if you're over in the UK pop into a Robert Dyas shop, they're on the high street. They nearly always have these CFLs on special offer for 50p or less ..... and (surprisingly) light bulbs are allowed in your carry on bag with Ryanair/or any airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

lindtee wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm or deny that these are still in stock in Mahon?

They had a few in stock in Mahon around closing time yesterday evening. Not a whole lot, but a few. Like the OP said, they weren't with the rest of the bulbs, but I only saw them in the lighting dept.

By the time I got there, the self-service checkouts were closed and I didn't want to be the one to alert them to a possible misprice, but the girl at the till didn't even blink when 6 cfl bulbs scanned in at a total of €1.50 :)

After searching around for ages, I eventually found them hanging at the back of one of the aisles. I bought 24:o:o for a grand total of 6 euro, first I bought 14 then went back for another 10. gave half to my dad to replace all his bulbs. There were a few still left, about 25 or so, but the op said that there are more scattered around the shop. Like the others I went to the self service till. Thanks again op, bargain of the year, me thinks, considering I paid around 8 euro PER BULB for the ones I have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

None in store on Belgard road, dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Glad some people got a bargain! Just to reiterate - these were not with the rest of the bulbs - they were scattered about the shop on hanging straps in a sort of fish-bone pattern at about waist level - quite a few in the lighting aisle (the one with the lampshades and holders) - in Mahon Point the largest lot of them were on the end of the lighting aisle facing the "back" wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

the best i ever seen these where Tesco up the north 5@40 pence

• Advertisement

spongbob wrote: »
    the best i ever seen these where Tesco up the north 5@40 pence

Bit far for us Cork people to go to pick up some bulbs!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Just back from the Liffey Valley branch and they have these available atm. I checked when this thread was started and couldn't find any but happened to be in there this morning and thought I'd check again. They're on a shelf in amongst the rest of the light bulbs - first shelving section in the bulbs area is for CFL/energy saving bulbs and these are immediately to the right of those. There's a red pricing card stuck to the shelf there with '50c each' on it but when they scan at the till it's 2 for 1. Bought 8 for €2 - prob should have bought more but that'll do for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

Anyone know if these are also in Airside ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Stitch Jones

good find.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

argos up north do them for 5 for a quid every couple of months or so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Mean_Mudda

picked up 10 for 1ukp near luton airport last week... great deal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

these are back in B&Q again if anyone's interested, great value 4 for €1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

slave1 wrote: »
    these are back in B&Q again if anyone's interested, great value 4 for €1

which store ?

Athlone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Any product code , i can ring them, save a trip to buy something i didnt intent,

• Advertisement

bar code is 05165827, 11w = 60w four multi pack

Advertisement