Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House training a Westie!

Options
  • 10-07-2009 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey!

I was wondering would anybody have any advice for me, i have a 9week old Westie and he has been with us for a week. I am trying to housetrain him using the training pads. He seemed to be getting the idea but now he will just go anywhere. At night he is kept in the kitchen and he will go on the pad but during the day he wont and when he is in the rest of the house, ie hallway or sitting room, he will just get up and decide to go there.

Anybody got any ideas for me? i thought he was catching on but he seems to have lost it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I've been watching a tonne of videos on this stuff lately. A good idea(imo), is to watch when he goes to the toilet, and say <insert word here> a few times untill he goes to the toilet. When hes going to the toilet dont say anything. When hes done, click him if your click training, then reward him and praise.

Within a few goes at this he should catch on, then eventually you will be able to control his cycle, then take him outside, set an area that you want him to go on, say the magic word and he will be going on command and will also learn where to go. REALLY handy when you want to go for a walk.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement