Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest rifle calibre in Ireland?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Could someone please tell me what is the largest cal rifle you can get a license for in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Could someone please tell me what is the largest cal rifle you can get a license for in Ireland?
    There isn't an upper limit. If the Garda Superintendent will issue a licence for it, you can shoot it here. I think the largest so far licenced is some monster H&H elephant gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Sparks wrote: »
    There isn't an upper limit. If the Garda Superintendent will issue a licence for it, you can shoot it here. I think the largest so far licenced is some monster H&H elephant gun.

I heard it was a .338 lapua meself...

Edit: sorry, OT!

I heard it was a .338 lapua meself...
    The .338 may well have the upper hand in some metrics, but for calibre size (on a rifle at least), .475 beats .338 :D
    Edit: sorry, OT!
    Fixed with a thread split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i know a lad with a 458 lott

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apprently there is ONE liscensed 50BMG here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Hadn't heard that Grizzly, I'd have thought there was just the one range it could be shot on as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apprently there is ONE liscensed 50BMG here.

As far as I know, that was debunked. I know of a handful of .375H&Hs myself, have witnessed a .338 Lapua Mag in person and have heard of various things like .458 Lotts about as well.

As far as I know, that was debunked. I know of a handful of .375H&Hs myself, have witnessed a .338 Lapua Mag in person and have heard of various things like .458 Lotts about as well.

iv shot a 338 lapua the T8 cools it down a good bit , done some long range rabbits with a lad one day 250gr ballistic tip gets down range fairly quick.

jwshooter wrote: »
    iv shot a 338 lapua the T8 cools it down a good bit , done some long range rabbits with a lad one day 250gr ballistic tip gets down range fairly quick.

... I really, really want to do that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As far as I know, that was debunked

Heard it was supposedly in Donegal area.And NO not used by a certain organisation.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Rabbit. With .338 lap mag. At long range.
    Fecking hell man, if you hit it at all you don't get usable meat and with that kind of round a bloody engine block wouldn't serve as a backstop.
    I can see just about one use for .338 lap mag in this country (long range target shooting - even the elephant vet in Dublin Zoo wouldn't bother with a .338). Shooting rabbits with one... what's next, thowing old cars at them with a trebuchet? :rolleyes:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Heard it was supposedly in Donegal area.
    And what range would they be shooting it on? Without permission from an Irish army commandant to use an army range, you'd have to be going over to Ballykindler and shooting there, and I don't think the MoD range rules allow you to shoot .50bmg anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i know for a fact because i have held it in my hands the .470 big game rifle that was licenced , it took a court case to get it in ,but it is in ireland now , also a .416 rigby and a .338 lapua magnum i have yet to hear of a .50 bmg but i wouldn't be suprised , i'd prefer a .408 cheytac if we're burning money by the bucketful here :D

i think you're right sparks , the mod ranges have a muzzle energy upper limit that is just above the energy of the .308 /7.62

rowa wrote: »
    i think you're right sparks , the mod ranges have a muzzle energy upper limit that is just above the energy of the .308 /7.62
    Worse than that, they have both an upper energy limit and an upper muzzle velocity limit as well.

there is a 416 in wexford a B/D rifle . the 338 is a fun gun to shoot but at 4 bucks a shot the fun goes out of it fast. the 300 win mag is a better long range toy and cheap to run .

i would get as much crack out of shooting the 243 at long range ,its a very under estimated cal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 John_Dillinger

I dont understand how such large cal rifles can be made available...i even remember reading a story about (slightly different here) a guard being refused a handgun for target shooting, but still, why do some people need such large cal rifles in Ireland? Theres a slight difference between asking a guard to be licensed for a .22 or a 338 lapua for rabbit shooting...does anyone agree with me?

The large calibre rifles are used for various purposes JD; many for long-range target shooting (a .22lr, no matter how good you are, just isn't suitable for shooting at 1000 yards - in fact the larger matches, like the Palma match, stipulate a specific calibre, like .308). The really large calibres, like the H&H .470s and the like, are actually used by people going on safari in Africa - they shoot the H&H's here to train for that (you don't learn to shoot by practising on an elephant). And some of those rifles are used by vets here as well (some of the largest are apparently held by those working in Dublin Zoo). All these are cases where there's good reason and it's safe to licence these firearms. It's not a case of people just wanting the loudest bang they can get, there's an actual need involved, whether it be to humanely dispatch an injured animal in Dublin Zoo, or to humanely hunt a cape buffalo, or to be competitive in an international match against people who can choose whatever firearm they want for training.

A .338 lap mag for rabbits, however, might be seen as coming under the heading of "being fairly stupid".

the people i know with the heavy game rifles have them here simply because they are there property , previously they would when heading out to africa or where ever ,have to fly to london to collect there rifle from storage in a dealers over there and all the paperwork and hastle it involves and make there way back to the air port and then travel on to there destination , the rifles really aren't used here just stored and practised with occasionally.
    can't really say why people here have .338's and the like,apart from anything else they'd be expensive beasties to feed and can you really get the best out of them in ireland ?
    i have a .308 and love it , i don't think i'd be bothered with a different calibre , maybe as jwshooter says a .300win mag if shooting at longer ranges .

To be honest, money and licensing no object, I'd have a host of guns, to shoot a host of different styles of shooting and because they fascinate me. I could think of half a dozen different calibres within seconds I'd love to own for long distance target shooting alone, to say nothing of hunting deer, European or African game.

That's pretty much the story right there for target shooting - you no more have one rifle for target shooting than you have one club for golf...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    That's pretty much the story right there for target shooting - you no more have one rifle for target shooting than you have one club for golf...

Yeah, but with finances and licensing being what they are, try getting yourself that .22LR/6mmBR/.243/6.5x47/.308/7mmWSM/.300WinMag/.338LapMag target shooting safe, and that's before moving onto anything else. And those aren't all the calibres one could viably choose, not by a very long shot. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

once or twice when stalking sika i've gotten within 30-50 yards,my .308 at this range does a lot of damage to the deer so i was thinking of getting a lever action rifle in .357.The energl levels i've seen for this calibre are low, something like 406ft/lbs @ 100 yds.
    Q1 are the energy levels sufficent for deer
    Q2 is it possible to get a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

4gun wrote: »
    once or twice when stalking sika i've gotten within 30-50 yards,my .308 at this range does a lot of damage to the deer so i was thinking of getting a lever action rifle in .357.The energl levels i've seen for this calibre are low, something like 406ft/lbs @ 100 yds.
    Damage?Where are you hitting your 30/50yrd Deer???

it'd be illegal , as far as i know the bullet must have 1,700 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle , maybe a .44 magnum could do that , but then you'd be back to square one.

kakashka wrote: »
    Damage?Where are you hitting your 30/50yrd Deer???[/quote
    the place where i stalk is covered in thick furze,mainly the deer don't expect stalkers to go in among them.In a lot of cases i miss the shot because the scope is focused at 100 ydsand by the time i find them in it they are gone. thats why i was thinking of lever action, they're quick and easy at short ranges, but the calibre has to be thus that its not too distructive at close ranges

Pistol calibres do not develop enough energy, by and large, to make the cut. There are freak cases like the .454 Casull, but they are, by definition, not the norm. Perhaps something like a .30-30 is the answer?

the place where i stalk is covered in thick furze,mainly the deer don't expect stalkers to go in among them.In a lot of cases i miss the shot because the scope is focused at 100 ydsand by the time i find them in it they are gone. thats why i was thinking of lever action, they're quick and easy at short ranges, but the calibre has to be thus that its not too distructive at close ranges

Ok i see,Might be worth considering iron sights for this type of stalk

Head/neck shot would solve meat damage

kakashka wrote: »
    Ok i see,Might be worth considering iron sights for this type of stalk

Head/neck shot would solve meat damage

In this situation you've only got seconds to shoot or not shoot,you have to take the biggest target or run the risk of missing completely

In this situation you've only got seconds to shoot or not shoot,you have to take the biggest target or run the risk of missing completely
    Out with the chainsaw so:)..clear sight lines in Furz?

• Advertisement

Pistol calibres do not develop enough energy, by and large, to make the cut. There are freak cases like the .454 Casull, but they are, by definition, not the norm. Perhaps something like a .30-30 is the answer?

30-30 wasn't available in the make I was considering, I guess I'll have to reconsider

Advertisement