Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest rifle calibre in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

kakashka wrote: »
    Out with the chainsaw so:)..clear sight lines in Furz?
    can you get a silencer for that:p

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

4gun wrote: »
    can you get a silencer for that:p
    :Dhow fast can you run:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

4gun ..what type of scope it it that it will not focus from 30-100yds .if your shooting in such a tight spot at close range with a hi mag scope all your getting is a blur,

a variable power scope set at 4 power when your in cover will work better .
    also snap shooting with a rifle and meat damage must tell you some thing.

its better to give the deer the benefit of the doth than risk placing a poor shot and loosing a injured animal.

good shot placement does not cause meat damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

jwshooter wrote: »
    4gun ..what type of scope it it that it will not focus from 30-100yds .if your shooting in such a tight spot at close range with a hi mag scope all your getting is a blur,

a variable power scope set at 4 power when your in cover will work better .
    also snap shooting with a rifle and meat damage must tell you some thing.

its better to give the deer the benefit of the doth than risk placing a poor shot and loosing a injured animal.

good shot placement does not cause meat damage.

At a distance i have no problem with shot placement
    In under 50 yds a remi. core-loked 150 gr bullet is literally explosive
    I would think that a ballistic tip would be worse
    this type of hunting would probably be best suited to using a bow of some sort ,but thats not legal here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

this type of hunting would probably be best suited to using a bow of some sort ,but thats not legal here
    one of the big ammo makers (i think winchester) were doing "light loads " which as you'd expect were hunting loads but with a reduced charge for teaching kids to shoot a full bore rifle , they might be the way to go , of course if we lived in a decently run country you could simply reload to your own specs , but thats unlikely to happen now i think .

• Advertisement

the 308 using that bullet is not regarded as a overly destructive cal . a 243 using 80gr soft points will cause more damage at 50yds

as this picture shows

i had killed her calf with the first shot and clipped her with the next shot i had to be quick with the follow up shot as she was almost in cover ,this shot was 70yds and she was running broad side to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lever action 30-30 would be ideal for thick scrubby shooting.
    Very popular in countries where you shoot in scrub and heavy cover.
    I think the round is up around 1900 with a 150gn projectile which would be more than enough for deer.
    It is a close range round though.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Just use a 165 or 180 gr in the 308, speed will be way down.
    Then look at bullet design, Federal blue box ammo is quite explosive I think, Fusion would be very tough.
    I've shot a few deer at close range, because that is where they stood. The main problem is that if you hit shoulder or spine it'll be messy no matter if at 50yds or 200.
    edi

all the ammo manufacturers seem to be power mad , surely someone does a round for smaller animals and/or shorter distances ?
    the only other way to go would be to take manufactured ammunition and reduce the powder charge properly , but that would take a reloading set-up and probabily trouble .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or shotgun slugs from a pump or semi shotgun for the kind of brush conditions you are talking about.Were it legal...:rolleyes:
    Or have a look at the remington Woodsmaster rifles they are in a variety of cals,semi or pump as well think the smaller ones are in the 243 range.

Maybe the new Ruger mini 14 in 6.8 would be a contender?

Maybe dump the traditional scope set up as well,and go for a holosight,
    [Eotech or Doctor Optics,etc] for the kind of distances and conditions you are shooting in.Or try if your rifle will allow it a "scout rifle "set up.IOW get a 4 power scope and mount forward of the action.Not everyones cup of tea,but it is very quick and with practise can be shot both eyes open.

If you could get one a ..SKS semi rifle in 7.62X39 with a holosight would be ideal for you.Has about the same ballistics as the 30.30.Very cheap and accurate for the distances you are shooting.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

The only other way to go would be to take manufactured ammunition and reduce the powder charge properly , but that would take a reloading set-up and probabily trouble .

[/QUOTE]
    Nope,you are OK on that one here.This was battled out a few years ago in a DC in Donegal.You are not manufacturing you are customising the legally bought ammo.Would require that you know what you are doing in powder weights though.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Nope,you are OK on that one here.This was battled out a few years ago in a DC in Donegal.You are not manufacturing you are customising the legally bought ammo.Would require that you know what you are doing in powder weights though.:)[/quote]
    as far as i know the american ammo manufacturers give the powder type and weight out in reloading manuals as they also supply the reloading kit, they also give the maximum and minimum charges so you would be ok .
    i think there is far too much emphasis placed on power in rifle ammo and some of the less powerful rounds are the nicest .243, 7x57 etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

A CZ 527 in 7.62x 39 with a red dot sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

rowa wrote: »
    Nope,you are OK on that one here.This was battled out a few years ago in a DC in Donegal.You are not manufacturing you are customising the legally bought ammo.Would require that you know what you are doing in powder weights though.:)
    as far as i know the american ammo manufacturers give the powder type and weight out in reloading manuals as they also supply the reloading kit, they also give the maximum and minimum charges so you would be ok .
    i think there is far too much emphasis placed on power in rifle ammo and some of the less powerful rounds are the nicest .243, 7x57 etc .[/quote]

Ive never seen any information on powder thats used in commercial ammo
    given out by manufacturers, reloading manuals only give you the info on what powders are suitable for a given bullet in a given calibre. Commercial rounds dont normally use the shop bought powders but buy their powder in bulk and its usually not available to reloaders, therefore knowing what powder is in the rounds is pure guesswork,Some powders dont lend themselves to being suitable in making reduced loads and by reducing them you can cause detonation in the case..its dangerous territory for anyone who is not an experienced reloader in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

The highest rifle calibre in Ireland would be one that was used on the top of Lug

personally i cant see what relevance or difference to any one what another is doing or using .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nope,you are OK on that one here.This was battled out a few years ago in a DC in Donegal.You are not manufacturing you are customising the legally bought ammo.:)

Grizzly, I'd love to know more details of this case if you have them. Or any press coverage of it. My understanding is that you cannot unmake ammunition without a license but maybe I'm wrong about that.

BTK,
    Bit of research,it was coverd in the ISD ,early to mid 90s,possible very late 1980s.It definately was up in Donegal.Dont have any press coverage,it was one of those read and file in brain type articles..

BTK,
    Bit of research,it was coverd in the ISD ,early to mid 90s,possible very late 1980s.It definately was up in Donegal.Dont have any press coverage,it was one of those read and file in brain type articles..
    i remember that case to , i don't think it was that long ago was it ? i do think the guy was done twice by the police as far as i can remember , he was raided and his reloading kit was taken but he wasn't charged the first time ,
    he either got the kit back or bought new stuff and the gardai did get him to court the second time , as far as i can recall , he wasn't actually breaking any laws , i do remember hearing that the gardai threatened to do him for drug offences as he had a very accurate scales as part of his set up !
    this is a long time ago so i can't be too sure of the details .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The reloading case was in Co.Wicklow from what I can remember rowa, originally in the Bray DC and then kicked down to the Wicklow DC, who then kicked it out alltogether.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    The reloading case was in Co.Wicklow from what I can remember rowa, originally in the Bray DC and then kicked down to the Wicklow DC, who then kicked it out alltogether.

no this one was definately donegal sparks , it was a good while ago , it was in the isd for a few months running , is the case in bray the one of the two guys who had empty brass cases for which they ddn't have a licence ?
    that was a complete waste of everyones time and the taxpayers money.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's the one I'm thinking of rowa, but I understood the guy had reloading equipment confiscated as well?

as far as i can recall , he wasn't actually breaking any laws , i do remember hearing that the gardai threatened to do him for drug offences as he had a very accurate scales as part of his set up !

That is a pretty desperate ,thuggish,and below the belt blow by the Gardai if true...They would have looked right clowns if that was in court and the only trace on it after forensic examination was nitro powder and not Class A drugs!!But then again I wouldnt be surprised anymore in this Bananna Republic..:rolleyes:
    Anyways,that isnt the case,this was a lot older.

dunno , but as a kid i had all sorts of brass cases scrounged and begged off people involved in shooting , now i'd be guilty of a criminal offence .

That is a pretty desperate ,thuggish,and below the belt blow by the Gardai if true...They would have looked right clowns if that was in court and the only trace on it after forensic examination was nitro powder and not Class A drugs!!But then again I wouldnt be surprised anymore in this Bananna Republic..:rolleyes:
    Anyways,that isnt the case,this was a lot older.

remember the calibre of police who were operating in donegal at the time , mc brearty ring any bells guys ?

It's not fair to tar the entire Garda force because of a few very bad apples.But it seems to be that us gunowners seem to end up with dealing with the brunt of them.:( In all fairness I have to say the younger crop by and large to be more helpful and friendlier and clued in than the older crowd on things that go bang.

If you are guilty of owning some cartridge cases,I wonder then how many folks around Ireland that have the odd FCA bofors shells or 2.5in artillery shell keepsake or old 8pounder naval shell brolly stand at the door or on the mantlepiece are "guilty" as well??Didnt somone here get a feedback from the DOJ that they were not going to persue this kind of collecting,and were saying to please continue without let or hinderance on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rowa wrote: »
    i do remember hearing that the gardai threatened to do him for drug offences as he had a very accurate scales as part of his set up !

That is a pretty desperate ,thuggish,and below the belt blow by the Gardai if true...They would have looked right clowns if that was in court and the only trace on it after forensic examination was nitro powder and not Class A drugs!!

To be honest, I think you've got a case of Chinese whispers going. I agree Grizzly, that it would of been desperate if the drugs charges went to court. But they didn't, so I think your comments could be a little childish (with out knowing the exact context).
    The fact is that possessing those type of scales alone is illegal. and I have no problem with Garda dealing with them as such. If a random car is stopped and inside is found, a scales and various other suspect items, then I'd expect the garda to act accordingly. If it turns out that the reason is legal, then let them on their way.
    if the garda knew that they were being used for reloading, and made a false claim about drugs para. then its a different case and Grizzlys comments are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The whole calibre argument is a bit ridiculous anyway: If you were to take a cross section of rifle ownership in a country where the laws are better informed (or even in the UK) you would quickly find that the vast majority of the higher calibre rifles are frontstuffers and black powder rifles.
    .50 + calibre rifles are far from rare across the water, east or west.

Mellor wrote: »
    To be honest, I think you've got a case of Chinese whispers going. I agree Grizzly, that it would of been desperate if the drugs charges went to court. But they didn't, so I think your comments could be a little childish (with out knowing the exact context).
    The fact is that possessing those type of scales alone is illegal. and I have no problem with Garda dealing with them as such. If a random car is stopped and inside is found, a scales and various other suspect items, then I'd expect the garda to act accordingly. If it turns out that the reason is legal, then let them on their way.
    if the garda knew that they were being used for reloading, and made a false claim about drugs para. then its a different case and Grizzlys comments are fine.
    it was no chinese whisper , it was a known incident at the time , this happened over 10 years ago if my memory is correct and with the attitude of some gardai i have met i am not in the least suprised , when i first went into the police station to apply for my pistol licence , i was told out straight that pistols were illegal and would never be seen in civilian hands ,this despite the fact that i had been shooting a club members .40 calibre glock the day before .

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

I beg to differ Mellor...
    This is hardly childish,but a potential criminal offence!!For a police officer,Garda or otherwise to utter such a threat to intimidate or coerece,do or even THINK OF DOING SUCH is totally criminal,and illegal,not to mind a disgrace to their uniform and police force!And more importantly if there was a case that could have been made planting evidence could have destroyed the case totally for the State.
    Also note I said IF TRUE that is also a qualifying statement on the above case

The fact is that possessing those type of scales alone is illegal
    BULLSHT!!!!!! :mad:You can buy a digital version in any "head shop" for 20 quid these days.A Lee precision scales is somthing most heads wouldnt know how to use properly,seeing it doesnt have batteries or a digital readout in it and is marked in GRAINS usually not GRAMS.

For somthing to be "drugs paraphenlia" [a catch all term for any items associated with drug use],you also have to have a illegal substance or traces of it in evidence on or within the vicinity of the drugs.
    So unless this reloader was also cutting coke and using a grain reloading scale to package it and there was traces of drugs on it.Or the Gardai raided the house and he was caught with a "smoking gun" situation.Fine..fair cop..BUT this sounds like somthing totally different.
    IOW a Shisha pipe only becomes "drugs paraphenlia" if it has traces of hasish on it.Alone it is used to smoke,tabacco or fruit molasses.Doesnt make it illegal to own or posses until it is used for a criminal purpose.
    and I have no problem with Garda dealing with them as such. If a random car is stopped and inside is found, a scales and various other suspect items, then I'd expect the garda to act accordingly.

So do we alll.But the problem iswhat do you define as "suspicious" or "acting accordingly"anymore??
    Supposing your dear old Mum has gone shopping and bought a weighing scales[for the kitchen] some crystal sugar [for baking a cake]
    Some weed killer for the garden and a length of steel pipes and end caps for your Dad as he is doing some plumbing and doing away with your old heating system,and for you a surprise pressie of a travelling alarm clock.

Any Garda finding those items would be perfectly entitled to arrest your Mum and get the bomb squad and ERU to raid your house.As all that could be construed as "bomb making equipment and materials":eek:.
    Dont think it is far fetched.This has actually happened in the UK.
    We all know it is highly unlikely that Mellors mum is a terrorist[well,we hope not anyway:)]And hopefully a Garda would recognise her as such.BUT there are some who would construe this situation as sinister,and possibly agood career move.Police officers are human beings too.They suffer all the human faults as well.
    However if it is some head well known to the Gardai for criminal doings well then by all means

Advertisement