Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest rifle calibre in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

trouble is there has been cases of gardai planting evidence to get convictions , there was that detective locked up only last year or the year before for planting a sawn off shotgun on a halting site in an attempt to arrest a certain individual , he an his fellow gardai duly raided the halting site and suprise suprise he found the gun in a plastic bag ,but somehow it all came undone and he was done for it , this is the trouble with the new criminal justice law by ahern , if this law had been passed at the time this garda would simply have had to stand up in court and give "opinion" evidence to have someone unfairly convicted .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

I beg to differ Mellor...
    This is hardly childish,but a potential criminal offence!!For a police officer,Garda or otherwise to utter such a threat to intimidate or coerece,do or even THINK OF DOING SUCH is totally criminal,and illegal,not to mind a disgrace to their uniform and police force!And more importantly if there was a case that could have been made planting evidence could have destroyed the case totally for the State.
    Also note I said IF TRUE that is also a qualifying statement on the above case
    I know you said if true.
    Which is why i said could be childish. And "chinese whispers". And in the last line I said if the garda was knowingly making a false claim then your comments were fine.
    I wasn't for a second calling you childish,

BULLSHT!!!!!! :mad:You can buy a digital version in any "head shop" for 20 quid these days.A Lee precision scales is somthing most heads wouldnt know how to use properly,seeing it doesnt have batteries or a digital readout in it and is marked in GRAINS usually not GRAMS.

For somthing to be "drugs paraphenlia" [a catch all term for any items associated with drug use],you also have to have a illegal substance or traces of it in evidence on or within the vicinity of the drugs.
    So unless this reloader was also cutting coke and using a grain reloading scale to package it and there was traces of drugs on it.Or the Gardai raided the house and he was caught with a "smoking gun" situation.Fine..fair cop..BUT this sounds like somthing totally different.
    IOW a Shisha pipe only becomes "drugs paraphenlia" if it has traces of hasish on it.Alone it is used to smoke,tabacco or fruit molasses.Doesnt make it illegal to own or posses until it is used for a criminal purpose.
    Apologies here, my wording was off in the other post. Yes they can all be owned legally, for all the reasons above. I did say this when refering to use for reloading.
    I should of said potentially illegal. And as such can raises suspicions. And the garda is within his right to investigate imo (for the simple reason that only a fraction of these items are used legally). If you are reloading, or smoking shisha then it should be easy to prove.

To be clear, I'm not saying the garda in the original case was right. I'm saying he may of been acting fine, and it could easily happen again and as long as the person is given a chance to explain then its fine.

(For the record, based on what rowa said after, it looks like he wasn't
    Any Garda finding those items would be perfectly entitled to arrest your Mum and get the bomb squad and ERU to raid your house.As all that could be construed as "bomb making equipment and materials":eek:.
    Dont think it is far fetched.This has actually happened in the UK.
    We all know it is highly unlikely that Mellors mum is a terrorist[well,we hope not anyway:)]And hopefully a Garda would recognise her as such.
    Could be worse, what if I was with her and picked up some smokless powder for reloading. :D:D

I think we are approaching this from two sides.
    you are saying that some garda act disgracefully when dealing with these situations. (Which they do in mu opinion)

Whereas I was saying, that a garda could be fine in acting in the same way.

It all comes down to wither or not a chance to explain or proof their use is given. and wither or not the garda cares to listen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

rowa wrote: »
    i know i'd prefer a .408 cheytac

Now thats what i'm talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

trouble is there has been cases of gardai planting evidence to get convictions , there was that detective locked up only last year or the year before for planting a sawn off shotgun on a halting site in an attempt to arrest a certain individual , he an his fellow gardai duly raided the halting site and suprise suprise he found the gun in a plastic bag ,but somehow it all came undone and he was done for it , this is the trouble with the new criminal justice law by ahern , if this law had been passed at the time this garda would simply have had to stand up in court and give "opinion" evidence to have someone unfairly convicted .

True enough , If these powers were sanctioned at the time the boys in Donegal were running amok ..building bombs and planting guns and ammo..lord knows how many people would have been banged up in the quest for promotion and personal gain..the McBrearty case offers a little insight at the possibilities:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think maybe we've wandered away from the point here.
    Actually, I think we wandered away, then got in a dune buggy and floored it and the point is now a few hundred miles away, but I digress, which I'd rather we didn't do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's not fair to tar the entire Garda force because of a few very bad apples.But it seems to be that us gunowners seem to end up with dealing with the brunt of them.:( In all fairness I have to say the younger crop by and large to be more helpful and friendlier and clued in than the older crowd on things that go bang.

If you are guilty of owning some cartridge cases,I wonder then how many folks around Ireland that have the odd FCA bofors shells or 2.5in artillery shell keepsake or old 8pounder naval shell brolly stand at the door or on the mantlepiece are "guilty" as well??Didnt somone here get a feedback from the DOJ that they were not going to persue this kind of collecting,and were saying to please continue without let or hinderance on this?

I think the younger FO's tend to be more... tolerant? The older generation grew up during the troubles, when guns were stored down south for the militants up north.

I won't apply for anything higher than a .22lr. The chances of me getting one is very slim, why? Our super is really against firearms. When you could get a pistol licence he stated "nobody in my juristiction will be issued with a pistol licence". The ignorance.

I meant to ask, what reasons do people use when applying for such large rifles? Does it not cost a fortune on bullets? What exactly does one have to do to get such a large rifle?

I will stick with my little gun for the next few years anyway... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I meant to ask, what reasons do people use when applying for such large rifles? Does it not cost a fortune on bullets? What exactly does one have to do to get such a large rifle?
    Well,it depends on what you classify as "large" rifles??Most of us folks here who shoot deer or targets would consider from 22/250 up to say 308 as normal,and anything above that like 338 Lapura upwards as largeto extremes like what the original post of the largest calibre here.
    The ultra largecalibre lads would use their guns for hunting big and dangerous game in Africa,and would require to practise here at home.That kind of hunting is dangerous ,and you do need to know the gun inside and out before you go and face down a charging Cape Buffalo.
    Others get their kicks in punching holes in cardboard at 1000yards.
    A fortune,well put it like this,just from recoil alone you wont be going plinking for an afternoon with one of these:D.So they can be pretty cheap on ammo,if you make your shots count.
    To get one.Good reason,a Super who agrees with your POV,and the required security.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

A fortune,well put it like this,just from recoil alone you wont be going plinking for an afternoon with one of these:D.So they can be pretty cheap on ammo,if you make your shots count.
    *heheh*
    You'd think, but take a peek at 300m ISSF shooting. 60 shots to a prone match, 120 shots to a three-position match, and for training you could be running more than that per day. And the top lads are using 6mmBR for that, factory loaded. :D
    (Granted, the less rich are looking at .308 or similar, and old parker-hale rifles rather than handmade bleiker's but still...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well,it depends on what you classify as "large" rifles??Most of us folks here who shoot deer or targets would consider from 22/250 up to say 308 as normal,and anything above that like 338 Lapura upwards as largeto extremes like what the original post of the largest calibre here.
    The ultra largecalibre lads would use their guns for hunting big and dangerous game in Africa,and would require to practise here at home.That kind of hunting is dangerous ,and you do need to know the gun inside and out before you go and face down a charging Cape Buffalo.
    To get one.Good reason,a Super who agrees with your POV,and the required security.:)

Ha, sorry about that, I suppose it is about your perspective. I have a .22 so I consider a hornet as a large weapon :P

I have used a 22-250 a .243 and thought they were fairly large.

My next step is to get a licence on my fathers 22-250, and a licence to shoot deer. I don't know where to start on that one though.

I am not rich, quite the opposite. So it will be a while before I can afford my own rifle, apart from the .22.

I like the idea of shooting targets at a long range. Something I really enjoyed in the RDF.

I know my super will ask "why do you need a .308, a 22-250 will do you fine".

How do you respond to this is what I mean. If I have my heart set on a .308 how do I secure a licence on it? It's such a grey area to tell you the truth.

About the security issues. It is not all essential as far as I am aware, but more of the fo and super requesting you get it.

Ha, sorry about that, I suppose it is about your perspective. I have a .22 so I consider a hornet as a large weapon :P

I have used a 22-250 a .243 and thought they were fairly large.

My next step is to get a licence on my fathers 22-250, and a licence to shoot deer. I don't know where to start on that one though.

I am not rich, quite the opposite. So it will be a while before I can afford my own rifle, apart from the .22.

I like the idea of shooting targets at a long range. Something I really enjoyed in the RDF.

I know my super will ask "why do you need a .308, a 22-250 will do you fine".

How do you respond to this is what I mean. If I have my heart set on a .308 how do I secure a licence on it? It's such a grey area to tell you the truth.

About the security issues. It is not all essential as far as I am aware, but more of the fo and super requesting you get it.

the 22-250 is a fine round and can be used for long range target shooting so you're not really at that much of a disadvantage , i know it used to be used a lot for bench rest , but its probabily outdated now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Sparks wrote: »
    *heheh*
    You'd think, but take a peek at 300m ISSF shooting. 60 shots to a prone match, 120 shots to a three-position match, and for training you could be running more than that per day. And the top lads are using 6mmBR for that, factory loaded. :D
    (Granted, the less rich are looking at .308 or similar, and old parker-hale rifles rather than handmade bleiker's but still...)

I think he meant more the .375H&H to a .505 Gibbs would not be running you many shots, because you'd need an ambulance on hand, and let's face it, there's precious little recoil from a 6mmBR. Also worth noting is the huge number of military 300m shooters. Only governments can afford their ammo budgets. :p

Will the .22-250 make it out to 1000 yards though rowa?
    There's a reason .308 is used for Palma shooting!

I think he meant more the .375H&H to a .505 Gibbs would not be running you many shots, because you'd need an ambulance on hand
    I wouldn't, I'd need the coroner. I mean, I can't fire .303 without whimpering like a little girl, a H&H would do bad things to me :D
    and let's face it, there's precious little recoil from a 6mmBR. Also worth noting is the huge number of military 300m shooters. Only governments can afford their ammo budgets. :p
    Hence the USAMU and their many copies in militaries around the world :D
    Mind you, with .308 and reloading, I'd bet it'd be within the reach of us mere mortals...

Will the .22-250 make it out to 1000 yards though rowa?
    There's a reason .308 is used for Palma shooting!
    no but i see the .223 being used out to 600 yards in articles in target sports , no reason the 22-250 can't do the same , how many people shoot out to 1,000 regularly anyway ?

I wouldn't, I'd need the coroner. I mean, I can't fire .303 without whimpering like a little girl, a H&H would do bad things to me :D

Hence the USAMU and their many copies in militaries around the world :D
    Mind you, with .308 and reloading, I'd bet it'd be within the reach of us mere mortals...

Absolutely. Even 6mmBR is reloaded very cheaply. Buying excellent factory reloads from HPS-TR works out at about 60c a round, buying by the thousand. That's a hell of a good price for decent training ammo, and you can keep a thousand Norma Diamondline or Lapua Scenars around for the matches. It's an expensive game, but the GB300m team do well with reloads (Tony Lincoln had a 600 in Clermont recently) and if you look at what you're at, it's not that expensive in any case. If you're training with the Diamondline stuff, well, good luck to you, but as a civilian, I can't do that.

no but i see the .223 being used out to 600 yards in articles in target sports , no reason the 22-250 can't do the same , how many people shoot out to 1,000 regularly anyway ?

Ah, plenty. Funnily enough, one of the best rounds of all is often overlooked for its bigger brothers. A .243 has better ballistics than most of its common competitors, at a fraction of the price in terms of recoil.

how many people shoot out to 1,000 regularly anyway ?
    Lots :D
    ISSF only goes to 300m, but Palma goes past 1000 yards, and I think Class F does as well, and several other disciplines too.

Lots :D
    ISSF only goes to 300m, but Palma goes past 1000 yards, and I think Class F does as well, and several other disciplines too.
    lucky gits getting the chance ! how many 1,000 yard ranges that allow civilian shooters are there anyway , apart from the midlands ?

lucky gits getting the chance ! how many 1,000 yard ranges that allow civilian shooters are there anyway , apart from the midlands ?

Don't think there are any, so anyone who's doing it is doing it there. Same for 300m+ though. Even the army does their training there for the most part at least.

Apart from the midlands, so far as I know, there aren't any in the ROI. There's Ballykindler up north, but I don't know if it does 1000 yards (think it does though). There's the castlemaine range in kerry, goes to (I think) 600 yards, and there used to be a few more, but Mallow closed and setting up a new fullbore range is fairly difficult and expensive, so we don't have many of them, and the Irish Army ranges will in all liklihood never be opened to civilian shooters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I use a 223 out 600 yards using sierra 69 grain matchkings with a 1:8 twist sako 75 varmint, when im shooting well i can hit golfballs at 600 yards, believe it or not but its been well witnessed. we also shoot to 1000 yards every saturday on a piece of ground which is owned by four different owners, its 3 miles from the nearest house and we have been given permission by every landowner to use it, we use 308 s with 175 grain sierra matchkings and 243 s with 87 grain v max out to the 1 k mark,
    as targets we use clay pigeons. finding 1k to shoot in is very difficult we just happened to be lucky.

I use a 223 out 600 yards using sierra 69 grain matchkings with a 1:8 twist sako 75 varmint, when im shooting well i can hit golfballs at 600 yards, believe it or not but its been well witnessed. we also shoot to 1000 yards every saturday on a piece of ground which is owned by four different owners, its 3 miles from the nearest house and we have been given permission by every landowner to use it, we use 308 s with 175 grain sierra matchkings and 243 s with 87 grain v max out to the 1 k mark,
    as targets we use clay pigeons. finding 1k to shoot in is very difficult we just happened to be lucky.
    its amazing that in a largely rural country like ireland with farmers looking for alternative means of income that more don't look into opening rifle ranges or shooting grounds , england on the other hand seems to have quite a few centrefire rifle ranges , minsterly , bisley, etc , a much bigger population i know but even still .

its amazing that in a largely rural country like ireland with farmers looking for alternative means of income that more don't look into opening rifle ranges or shooting grounds
    Not when you looking into the costs of planning permission, building work to comply with range standards, the cost of certifying a range, and so on...

Not when you looking into the costs of planning permission, building work to comply with range standards, the cost of certifying a range, and so on...
    yeah but there is nothing in ireland that doesn't involve reams of paper work , even straight forward tasks like taxing a car is a pain in the rear , and if it can be done in health and safety mad britain it could be done here.
    opposition from neighbours seems to be the major stumbling block.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

yeah but there is nothing in ireland that doesn't involve reams of paper work , even straight forward tasks like taxing a car is a pain in the rear , and if it can be done in health and safety mad britain it could be done here.
    opposition from neighbours seems to be the major stumbling block.

Indeed.. I've seen a planning objection on the grounds that "radiation from the depleted uranium rounds" being used would poison the ground water. :rolleyes:

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    Indeed.. I've seen a planning objection on the grounds that "radiation from the depleted uranium rounds" being used would poison the ground water. :rolleyes:
    Janey. How bad are they for fouling d'ya know? :D

our club is in roundwood , we had to apply for planning permission for the range last year , we had only one objection ..... from someone in rathfarnham, there principal objection was that all the members more or less live in dublin , and that the petrol and fumes from it being used in there cars every sunday morning to get to the club was a needless waste and threat to the environment !!!
    i suppose with people like that around doing anything must be a nightmare .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

For a 1K range, what kind of safty area would be needed behind the backstop??

For the use of 338's and 300 win mag's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

For a 1K range, what kind of safty area would be needed behind the backstop??

For the use of 338's and 300 win mag's.

the same requirements as a .22, one thats safe and will stop the bullet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Apart from the midlands, so far as I know, there aren't any in the ROI. There's Ballykindler up north, but I don't know if it does 1000 yards (think it does though). There's the castlemaine range in kerry, goes to (I think) 600 yards, and there used to be a few more, but Mallow closed and setting up a new fullbore range is fairly difficult and expensive, so we don't have many of them, and the Irish Army ranges will in all liklihood never be opened to civilian shooters.

an board snip wants big defence and garda savings, making cuts closing garda stations and certain barracks around the counrty. no garda station no barracks in many parts of the country are they mad and crazy,at a time when crime is at an all time high. :confused:

http://www.ireland.com/home/Defence_cuts_save_m/maxi/fast/news/irnews/234389

Advertisement