Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highest rifle calibre in Ireland?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    an board snip wants big defence and garda savings, making cuts closing garda stations and certain barracks around the counrty. no garda station no barracks in many parts of the country are they mad and crazy,at a time when crime is at an all time high. :confused:

http://www.ireland.com/home/Defence_cuts_save_m/maxi/fast/news/irnews/234389

the best thing ever happened pj, these rural stations are places for them to hide and not answer phones .
    now they will have to be out and about .

show me a cop that does flat 39 hours il show you a cop that does now have a watch.

every cop in the country has a nixer ,around me they drive buses, lorries ,have coffee shops and sell bounce castles.

no wounder there is not work about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    an board snip wants big defence and garda savings, making cuts closing garda stations and certain barracks around the counrty. no garda station no barracks in many parts of the country are they mad and crazy,at a time when crime is at an all time high. :confused:

http://www.ireland.com/home/Defence_cuts_save_m/maxi/fast/news/irnews/234389
    i have to agree with you , there are simply not enough gardai out catching the scumbags , reducing there numbers doesn't make sence to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OTOH,maybe now they might consider us "mere civillians" as a source of income and rent or allow us permission to set foot and use DOD rifle ranges???Dont know why they are so backward about this here.It is no big deal in the UK,or US,and certainly not a problem in Europe or Switzerland,where inter Civillian/Military/Police competitions are encouraged and not considerd anything abnormal.What is the Army afraid of here???That the civvies would show them up???:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What is the Army afraid of here???That the civvies would show them up???:p

Nah, the Army lads are pretty good. I don't think I've been to Midlands without seeing at least one of them there.

I shoot against them in prone smallbore and they're no pushover.

(I still beat them in this year's 50m nationals though. :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    What is the Army afraid of here???That the civvies would show them up???:p
    Nope. Two words: Liability and Manpower. (The ranges don't open themselves up and Army procedure requires a fair bit of manpower to run the safety measures they insist on. That costs money, so they don't do it unless they're training people and if they're training, they don't want civilians about).
    And after the Bord Snip report, they're not likely to change that mindset anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Sparks wrote: »
    Nope. Two words: Liability and Manpower. (The ranges don't open themselves up and Army procedure requires a fair bit of manpower to run the safety measures they insist on. That costs money, so they don't do it unless they're training people and if they're training, they don't want civilians about).
    And after the Bord Snip report, they're not likely to change that mindset anytime soon.

http://forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?t=800

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sparks wrote: »
    Apart from the midlands, so far as I know, there aren't any in the ROI. There's Ballykindler up north, but I don't know if it does 1000 yards (think it does though). There's the castlemaine range in kerry, goes to (I think) 600 yards, and there used to be a few more, but Mallow closed and setting up a new fullbore range is fairly difficult and expensive, so we don't have many of them, and the Irish Army ranges will in all liklihood never be opened to civilian shooters.

Ballykinlar in Co. Down, Magilligan in Derry as well as far as I know for British Army ranges accessable to the public by arrangement. Sparks, they operate in essentially the same way as your beloved Bisley in England which is a military range as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Beloved? :D The floor bounces, the lighting's awful, the suis ascor targets aren't maintained regularly and the targets are recessed into the wall so your sight picture's stuffed :D I've never shot on the smallbore or fullbore ranges there, just walked round them.

Advertisement