Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs

Options
  • 10-07-2009 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Do mixed breeds live longer than pure breds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's a long and complicated and circumstansial answer you're looking for.

Are you looking at getting a dog - is this why you're curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Yeh was thinking of a border collie. Just wondering is there any point in looking for a pure bred if they dont even live as long as a cross breed.

Well thing is yes some dogs will last longer than others, genetically.
    But you also have to take into account the dogs life/how it'll be treated etc. If you take good care of a dog they can last longer than their 'alloted' time.

They do say mixed breed may be more immune to certain things, or may not carry as many genetic diseases as prue breds. But I don't know how much you could give a definite yes or no. Have you been looking at collies? Have you researched the breed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

The size of a dog plays a big part in the lifespan too. For instance, a Great Dane or St. Bernard is considered old at 8 years, while a Jack Russell might be still chasing cars at 15. The oldest dog I ever came across in real life was actually a Border Collie, who lived to the ripe old age of TWENTY-TWO. Whereas I've also seen collies die or be put to sleep with incurable diseases at 10. It really depends on the individual dog. I would expect to get 12-14 years from my greyhounds, who while are big dogs, are lightweight (not putting too much pressure on ageing skeletal systems) and are relatively health problem free when compared to other similar sized pedigree dogs.
    Breeds that are riddled with genetic defects such as the Cavalier King Charles can usually only make it 10, 11 or 12 years, when in fact, today I met one that was 16! True he has a lot of problems, but 16 is good for any breed, let alone purebred Cavie!
    Longevity can be influenced by many things, breed and genetics being one thing, but environmental factors such as proper feeding, appropriate exercise and preventative healthcare can also play a big part. Individuals can also be very lucky with health, or sadly, very unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Experience, and reading would suggest that the 'ol mutt gnerally lives longest.

When I was growing up we had a Border Collie X who lived to 17yrs old before our next door neighbour reverse his car over her - the same dipsh*t reversed his car into his porch on another occasion and his child on yet another.

Tbh I think the neighbour was more a cross breed/mutant than poor ol' Cindy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

On the flipside, a large cross-breed is probably unlikely to live as long as a small pedigree, with exceptions of course, but its all swings and roundabouts :).
    Its true, I've seen many many ancient (age 15+) mutts, but I don't think that it's a guarantee of longevity, there are too many circumstantial factors at play. I don't think its as simple as 'cross-breeds live longer than pedigrees'.
    There are always going to be the exceptions to the rule, and they're not as uncommon as you might think. i.e. another few clients: 16 year old German Shepherd, 18 year old Chihuahua, I could go on!
    While Mutts can be great, healthy dogs, they're not as infallible as some people think they are...
    By the way OP, the pounds are bursting at the seams with collie crosses, I'm sure there's a nice robust cross-breed dog out there for you looking for a good home :)

Without a doubt cross breeds are healthier and will generally live longer when comparing similiar sized dogs.
    Purebreds are from a shallower gene pool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purebred_(dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    By the way OP, the pounds are bursting at the seams with collie crosses, I'm sure there's a nice robust cross-breed dog out there for you looking for a good home :)

Here is just one example from the last hope rescue.

Milly - Collie, about 1 years old

img-resized.png Reduced: 85% of original size [ 600 x 450 ] - Click to view full image
    6BE1480EBC7C451AB8FCF514438095A4.jpg

Well I had a purebred Lhasa and she was around 2 years old when we resuced her, and she lasted til the rough age of 14/15. She had been minded by my aunt for a few years when my siblings were very young, and tbh she didn't take proper care of her. She was in a state when we got her back - that's what ended her life early IMO.

They are known to live until their 20s if taken care of well.

It's all dog/livestyle/treatment dependent I think. Yes cross breeds can fight off diseases, may not have as many inherent problems but cases can differ.
    I've no preference I like all dogs - I'm just pointing out a case of pure bred lasting long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Without a doubt cross breeds are healthier and will generally live longer when comparing similiar sized dogs.
    Purebreds are from a shallower gene pool.

Well thats not necessarily true. Purebreds that have been bred responsibly, would have had new bloodlines introduced regularly to widen the gene pool.

With regard to crossbreeds, lets take the scenario of a local crossbreed male allowed to wander the neighbourhood. A bitch comes into season, they mate, pups are born. One of those pups grows up, comes into season, her father mates with her, pups are born. Those pups grow up, the grandfather may do the deed again, or one of the 'uncles' or brothers. Very small gene pool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement