Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owning a Monaro. Is it worth it?

• 10-07-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Been looking at Autotrader(UK version) and see you can pick up a Monaro for about £15kster. Besides the necessaries like VRT, tax and insurance etc. is it worth it. Opinions from owners or friends of owners would be worth it.

As you can guess I won't be caring about its environmental effects and nit wits who'll go on about carbon emmissions etc as I did not sign up to Kyoto Agreement:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It!

Did I mention you should do it?

For the money, you'll get nothing with more power, and something very rare. And it's not a bloody Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

By all accounts a cracking car. If do go for it see if you can order Opel badges or better still get the Holden ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Dartz wrote: »
    Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It! Do It!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

A modern day muscle car. V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 V8 Vroom Vroom :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stone age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Bedford engine technology with silicon implants IMHO. :D

But whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fishtits wrote: »
    Bedford engine technology with silicon implants IMHO. :D

But whatever floats your boat.

....I know 'frick all about Bedfords' - although my first car was a Viva HC ! - but what's wrong with implants ?

On the right chassis - ;) - they do encourage........handling.........

I'll get my coat......:P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

not very up on technology i don't think, its pretty much a lump block from a truck ****ed under the bonnet

but by all account by it....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

thats a bargain for the sound of that v8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

sorry i couldnt resist it!,

i didnt realise they were that cheap,not common in ireland,i have only ever seen a picture of one,
    how many of these are in ireland i wonder:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I disagree!

For that sort of money plus the VRT you can buy a really serious motor! Personally I would be going with an S8 or a 740 and still come home with change! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

dude.... just do it....
    it is a cracking car....
    had one for a test drive in the Uk a couple of year ago....
    feck me I needed a new pair of pants after driving one....
    serious serious fun, looks great... rare motor, very rare over here...
    and the engine is amazing to listen to ........

DO IT....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

There is 2 of them in Sligo.

A black one on northern plates that I saw weekend before last and a red one that is on sothern plates and was originally over in Louth/Meath direction.

I know the owner of the red one, it is his 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

bladebrew wrote: »

sorry i couldnt resist it!,

i didnt realise they were that cheap,not common in ireland,i have only ever seen a picture of one,
    how many of these are in ireland i wonder:confused:

I know of two in the north, A red one I see occasionally around Belfast, a silver one I saw at a vauxhaul show, with an owner from Ballymena.

Slidey wrote: »
    There is 2 of them in Sligo.

A black one on northern plates that I saw weekend before last

Was the black northern one a Monaro or a VXR8? (my flatmates nextdooor neighbour in his home town of Newcastle (County Down) has one)

Could have been. I have the horrible feeling it was an automatic so that would point more towards being an Aussie import I would think

This is yer mans red one

1911391499a9414911141ml.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

It's a nice car but it's only worth it IF you can afford it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I disagree!

For that sort of money plus the VRT you can buy a really serious motor! Personally I would be going with an S8 or a 740 and still come home with change! ;)

Theyre a class size bigger. The Monaro should be compared to S6s and 540i's. I like the Monaro but think Id hold out till the VXR8 (its 4door successor) comes down in price.
    Great engines in both cars by all accounts, dont get the slating of them here?

If I was to spend that kind of money on petrol and tax I would get a 6l Commodore SS

Resized330x235_P070409_16.11.JPG

Link to example

Not that dear to get one shipped over either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

its pretty much a lump block from a truck ****ed under the bonnet

Same as a Dodge viper :D

** Back on topic **
    Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on...Go on... Go on... Go on... :D

Advertisement