Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangan (dogs off leash)

Options
  • 10-07-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Right well two things. Just back from a lovely rainy walk with herself in Dangan. Dogs galore barking and chasing and following. Not too kind owners. There are signs down there and nobody seems to care. Is there anything that can be done?
    Also where she lives her neighbours leave their dogs out unattended a lot and it really bothers her. She's not afraid of dogs but dislikes them due to a bad experience, surely dogs should indeed be on leads though?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

too fecking right

often walk down there and get hassled by them- one massive labrador- no collar- let loose

my daughter isint afraid of dogs(shes 2 and half) which can be a bad thing- this dog in question was higky agressive- two people just stood there- neither came forward to claimthe dog- i just shielded her away from him ready to fight if he went for a bite

i suppose i should of rang the proper authorities- thats if i had their number

not on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

I'm quite bothered about this. A good friend of mine at work, a woman in her early 30s were recently sent upon by two dogs as she ran and the owner did nothing. Is there anything that can be done? I just feel they should be on a lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

were the owners of the tinkerish kind- ive seen them walking dogs and letting them swim down that way a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends on council laws whether dogs must be on a leash or not.

Some dogs must always be under leash and muzzle
    "Control of Dogs Regulations, 1998":
    (a) American Pit Bull Terrier,
    (b) Bull Mastiff,
    (c) Doberman Pinscher,
    (d) English Bull Terrier,
    (e) German Shepherd (Alsatian),
    (f) Japanese Akita,
    (g) Japanese Tosa,
    (h) Rhodesian Ridgeback,
    (i) Rottweiler,
    (j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog), and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—
    (i) securely muzzled; and
    (ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

One Galway bye law to applies to the beaches and prohibits dogs there during summer days
    I'm not aware of one that applies to the city or parks.

There is a Dog Warden you can talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

shaggykev wrote: »
    were the owners of the tinkerish kind- ive seen them walking dogs and letting them swim down that way a few times

I would love to know what you mean by "tinkerish kind" in the hope that you are not referring to me. I walk my dogs in Dangan all the time and having lived here all my life I feel well entitled to. I bring leads and use them when there are people around. When there is nobody around I let the dogs run free and sometimes let them in for a swim. Sometimes it can happen that a runner suddenly appears from behind, or we turn a corner and bump into another person or another dog, and when that happens the dogs sometimes react - as dogs do whenever something sudden or unexpected happens - by barking or chasing, and I react by calming them down and apologising if anyone is upset.

In all the years I've been doing that, many many people have stopped to chat because of the dogs and only once has anyone ever got thick with me and complained. There are good and bad (not to mention tinkerish) dog owners so please don't tar them all with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Your right people in built up areas shouldn't be allowed dogs. Dogs should be free, I certainly wouldn't like to be kept on a leash my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ScumLord wrote: »
    Your right people in built up areas shouldn't be allowed dogs. Dogs should be free, I certainly wouldn't like to be kept on a leash my whole life.

Best not to get married then...

www.instantrimshot.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

For feck sake. Can we not take dogs anywhere now? First they tell us we can't bring them to the beach, now you're looking to have them on a leash at all times?

When are dogs supposed to get a good run around then? Walking on a lead isn't enough of a run for the average dog. This is especially so if the dog's owner is elderly.

This country is going ****ing crazy.

What next, a blasphemy law?! Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Also where she lives her neighbours leave their dogs out unattended a lot and it really bothers her. She's not afraid of dogs but dislikes them due to a bad experience, surely dogs should indeed be on leads though?

So because you're girlfriend has had a bad experience (you don't go into much detail), all dogs should be on a leash if out in the open?

Eh, no Peg. Most dogs are friendly and sociable creatures. When I was growing up, there was a labrador who would always mind the kids on the street, me in particular, in case there was traffic near by. There are plenty of stories like this out there.

Its not right just because your GF doesn't like dogs that they should all be locked up. Its her problem to deal with in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I don't think the issue here is the girlfriend at all. There are signs saying dogs should be on a leash, they should. Dogs can bite, full stop. And to say they won't is silly, you don't know that! The dog-owner who leashes them when others are around is acceptable I feel. My opinion on this is it's unfair to house dogs in the city unless you are very active. My neighbour has a dog, he runs her for 5 miles before work, I take her sometimes for 4 miles after I finish work and he takes her for another 3 walking in the evening. She is never off the lead though. It's unfair on others. I just feel having a dog in the city unless it's a very small one or unless it's been run about enough is selfish, they're animals, not ornaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc.
      Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs.
      Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardaí and brought to the local dog pound. These dogs may be put down or disposed of if their owners do not claim them within 5 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I've had problems with off-leash dogs in Las Vegas parks. I tend to dropkick them first and ask questions of the owners later.

Works wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yep, some dogs are ok, but others definitely should be kept on a leash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXCsdHPRFlg#t=22s

Magnus wrote: »
      Dogs must at all times wear a collar that bears the name and the address of the owner inscribed on it or on a plate, badge or disc.
      Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs.
      Stray dogs may be seized by the dog warden and the Gardaí and brought to the local dog pound. These dogs may be put down or disposed of if their owners do not claim them within 5 days.

That's the law. Thankfully those who are responsible for enforcing it seem to display a lot of common sense - an increasingly rare phenomenon in our increasingly regulated society.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I don't think the issue here is the girlfriend at all. There are signs saying dogs should be on a leash, they should. Children/Foreigners/Blacks can bite, full stop. And to say they won't is silly, you don't know that! The parent-owner who leashes them when others are around is acceptable ("acceptable", be the hoke!) I feel (nothing like intuitive reasoning). My opinion on this is it's unfair to house dogs in the city unless you are very active. My neighbour has a dog, he runs her for 5 miles before work, I take her sometimes for 4 miles after I finish work and he takes her for another 3 walking in the evening. She is never off the lead though (never off the lead while out on a run, now isn't that great fun for the doggy). It's unfair on others (while utterly fair on the dog?). I just feel having a dog in the city unless it's a very small one or unless it's been run about enough is selfish, their animals (just as well 'tis Gaeilge grinds and not Béarla ones), not ornaments.

I bow to your greater wisdom and dogmatism (pardon the pun), GG. You're clearly a great expert on dogs and on their proper treatment.

Gaeilgegrinds, I like you as a poster and imagine you are a decent soul, but I wouldn't let you mind a dog for even half an hour. I can imagine you with your dog on a tight leash, that impatient yanking of the choke collar around the tender canine neck muscles, casting that cold look at the off-lead Andrex puppy trotting around Bushypark ("Careful folks, he'll surely bite!").

Hopefully you'll learn with time and greater experience of a variety of dogs that some- nay MOST- off-lead dogs can be trusted 100% not to bite strangers they meet while under the effective control of their owners in public parks.

Most parents don't need to put leashes on their children all the time in order to keep them under control. Similarly, the vast majority of well-brought up dogs can be left off-leash in public areas while remaining under the effective control of their owners.

It's all about balance and avoiding extreme views on one side or another of the debate. While all dogs should have a lead snapped on them in public places from time to time, most well-brought up dogs (other than the 11 species mentioned) can be left off lead in public for the bulk of the time with no harm, fear or discomfort caused to anyone other than the phobic and those raised with an exaggerated view of the biting capacity of dogs.

Since dogs cannot speak for themselves, much less post on Boards.ie, I decided to advocate on their behalf and I think that your insinuation that ALL off-lead dogs are capable of biting strangers in a park is as derogatory to the canine species as a racist remark would be to the human.

yourmano wrote: »
    Right well two things. Just back from a lovely rainy walk with herself in Dangan. Children galore barking and chasing and following. Not too kind owners. There are signs down there and nobody seems to care. Is there anything that can be done?
    Also where she lives her neighbours leave their children out unattended a lot and it really bothers her. She's not afraid of children but dislikes them due to a bad experience, surely children should indeed be on leads though?

Changed the word "dogs" to "children". The owners of both children and dogs who are allowed run around in delinquent fashion have a lot to answer for, with delinquent children causing the vast bulk of the problems. I'd therefore try and solve the child/teenage delinquency problem first.

(Self-appointed dog advocate here:D)

Interesting posts to be honest. Never said I ran with the dog in Bushypark might I add, I don't. Saying it's not much fun for him...well I'd say it's more fun than being cooped up. And regarding the grammatical error, apologies.

I think this is an issue that divides people hugely, I don't agree with equating children and dogs either might I add, dogs are animals, children are humans.
    I had a dog when we were growing up, on a huge farm. That is what I call humane.

Whatever about small dogs, I really don't think some of the big dogs I've seen being brought for short walks (neighbours only gone ten minutes) could be at all happy. Now I know there are those who will say how would I know? I couldn't know but I just think it's space dogs need and not in a place where they can interfere with others. I know there are many who will never agree with me and see it fit to leave their dogs go and do what they like but we're all different and without those differences there would be no debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Without sounding like a nut job hippy these animals have as much right to this world as we do. If they are reasonably behaved surely we can allow them to enjoy the one good thing they have going. If a dog is repeatedly aggressive it should be on a lead, that's obvious.

However, I am sick to death of hearing of people down dangan getting snooty about dogs who are perfectly behaved. If you're afraid of dogs I would respectfully suggest you don't got to the one place left in the city for letting your dog off the leash. It really is known as a dog walking spot, regardless of signs, etc. You're really not going to change the tradition of a 25 odd years. I respect your fears, but I happen to go down there every day. I meet some of the kindest dogs with respectful and decent owners. My girl is practically the worlds friendliest, kindest golden retriever who has never once shown any sign of aggression towards people or her fellow doggies. I hope you meet more of these kinds of dogs to maybe change your mind about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hopefully you'll learn with time and greater experience of a variety of dogs that some- nay MOST- off-lead dogs can be trusted 100% not to bite strangers they meet while under the effective control of their owners in public parks.

I'm with Gaeilgegrinds on this one.

It's true that MOST- off-lead dogs can be trusted 100% not to bite strangers.

But the problem is in the word "most" combined with the fact that Jo/Josephine Public isn't easily able to distinguish between this "most" and the small minority that cannot be trusted.

Also, dogs off lead can take a dump in a far away spot that the owner doesn't know about, so cannot clean up after. (Am making the charitable assumption that if they owner knew, they would always clean up - we all know it's not true, but let's assume anyway!)

Cities are often not appropriate environments for all but the smallest (did I say "silliest" ... no, of course not) dogs.

• Advertisement

How do I differentiate between the friendly ones and the ones that snap at me? Just so I know next time I'm run after!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

I can't really imagine how people feel this place is theirs to let the dogs off-lead. In truth it belongs to the college. Is it any wonder the place is so soiled with dog-litter when the dogs are seemingly 'allowed' to be let off the lead. Roll on a sense of civil duty and respect for others. This thread has really opened up my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Yourmano, there are plenty of places you could go for a walk....dogs not so much. Why don't you just let this one go if it bugs you that much?? You can't change something that's had years and years of tradition creating it. Even the people who run the grounds love the dogs, I know must of them. The sign is just a formality.

In the interest of not being a useless troll a really easy way to notice if a dog is potentially becoming aggressive is when its tail is erect. That is, standing straight up. A dog, when threatened or angered, will often rear its tail to make itself seem bigger,etc. If this happens a sharp no, a yelled no or a pelt if necessary will help. I'm fairly well qualified in this department, even if it seems like a wishy washy solution. It really is quite rare down Dangan. I only wish you'd meet me and my dog someday so you could see how lovely we could all get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

Folks, I go down to Dangan a lot, and it is a great facility. But, just wait until one dog bites a child or adult. The collage will close this down to the public. Dangan is private, the college own these lands but they are kind enough to let Joe public walk around there. It would be a shame to see this facility closed.
    I like dogs but I also love my two kids. If I see a dog running towards either of my kids (Tail up or not) I will let fly with hurl or foot. I don't really care if the dog is coming up to lick my child in the face, I am going to protect myself and my children first and ask questions later. Dogs should be on a leash in public and the owners should clean up after their dogs (which is a totally different argument).

Carry on the way it is and Dangan will be closed to the public.

Rant over!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

claw14 wrote: »
    Folks, I go down to Dangan a lot, and it is a great facility. But, just wait until one dog bites a child or adult. The collage will close this down to the public. Dangan is private, the college own these lands but they are kind enough to let Joe public walk around there. It would be a shame to see this facility closed.
    I like dogs but I also love my two kids. If I see a dog running towards either of my kids (Tail up or not) I will let fly with hurl or foot. I don't really care if the dog is coming up to lick my child in the face, I am going to protect myself and my children first and ask questions later. Dogs should be on a leash in public and the owners should clean up after their dogs (which is a totally different argument).

Carry on the way it is and Dangan will be closed to the public.

Rant over!!!!!

I have a very friendly dog that would never hurt a fly. It someone let loose with a hurl on him just for coming close, that hurl would get a lot more use. :mad:

I can't really imagine how people feel this place is theirs to let the dogs off-lead.

I can't really imagine how people feel this place is theirs to tell other people they can't let dogs off-lead.
    Is it any wonder the place is so soiled with dog-litter when the dogs are seemingly 'allowed' to be let off the lead.

Doh. They would still poo if they were on a lead.
    Roll on a sense of civil duty and respect for others.

The negative examples being mentioned in this thread are undoubtedly true (notwithstanding the weasel words used to describe them) but they are very much the exception. A far more common scenario in Dangan is the quiet family pet being walked by considerate inoffensive people who have as great a sense of civic duty and respect for others as any cynophobe who goes there.

The thing is, Dangan is a fantastic facility and the people of Galway are lucky to have it and have access to it. But it is what it is. Certain things go on there such as dog walking, people running, kids playing, tag rugby, etc. If you don't like those things, don't go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I'm from Galway and I have been going to Dangan for years with my dog. It's one of the few places where I can bring it without pains in the a**es going on about how terrible it is to have the dog off the lead, or to even have the dog there at all. If there is ever any indication that my dog might cause trouble (which it never has) I will put it immediately on the lead. My dog is a rescue dog. If you want to talk about dogs why don't you do something productive and talk about the kind of scumbag people who left it tied to a fence in the middle of January outside the dog-pound, where I found it. They didn't even have the decency to bring it in. Now animal cruelty like that is worth talking about, not poor little Johnny who might step in doggy poops and end up with rabies or some crazy sh*t like that. Humans are far more problematic to dogs than dogs are to humans. Some people just have too much time on their hands and love nothing more than to complain. And bye the way, if my dog ever should get into any trouble it will be because of the abuse she suffered from humans to begin with.
    I do not advocate dangerous dogs being off leads or in a situation where they can potentially cause harm to humans or other animals but as is often said...there is no such thing as bad dogs, just bad owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

I am down in Dangan most evenings, i just live at the top of the entrance down to the pitches and I have no problems with Dogs been off their leashes once they aren't particularly agressive breeds

What does annoy me is owners not cleaning up after their dogs :mad:

As another poster said dogs have to be able to have a run somewhere and in my opinion, Dangan is perfect!!

But when dogs are chasing me how I am supposed to think they are to do anything but come after me? Or should I wait til I'm bitten?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

But when dogs are chasing me how I am supposed to think they are to do anything but come after me? Or should I wait til I'm bitten?

I don't know - maybe ask the local postman? :D

Seriously though, i am down in Dangan maybe 3 evening a week and the worst thing a dog has done to me is to run off with one of my sliothar's

I have never seen a dog snap or be agressive in Dangan, overly friendly alright like jumping up on you etc.. and I have to agree with another poster, Dangan is known as a Dog walking spot - if you dont like Dogs, dont go to Dangan!!

Advertisement