Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the UN effective in its role?

Options
  • 10-07-2009 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start this discussion. I have thought about the UN and its effectiveness, but I am not fully up on how the UN works.

Israel, for instance, has ignored well over 100 UN resolutions. Without getting into that debate, could anyone enlighten us as to the workings of the UN and your opinion on how effective it is.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The WHO, a UN body, effectively eliminated smallpox, so the UN has been effective at something

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Basically speaking ,the UN as peacekeepers has made a big difference in the past in such places as Congo ,Cyprus , Lebanon Bosnia and and it still is a very effective organisation in many countrys still .But aligations in recent times of corruption and abuse by it's soldiers and officials has tarished it's reputation a little and it's role in future peacekeeping roles on the world stage has to be defined .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

A lot of the proposed changes such as widening the membership to the permanent members of the Security Council could have a positive effect.

Also, its a shame that over the past 3 years the UN has had one of its more quieter secretary general's. At a time when the world needed a progressive voice for change, the UN didn't have a man capable of increasing faith for the organization's message.

Advertisement