Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clampers warning. Be careful out there!

• 10-07-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

This could be an isolated incident or could be a new tactic to increase revenue, I'm just offering the info, do with it what you will.

I came out of Bushy Park on Weds. to find my car clamped on Rathdown Rd. along with the car in front. The reason? Parking at a continuous white line.
    It was a corpo clamp and the notice cited the relevant section of the rta so no point whinging about it being a racket. Where I was parked there were double yellows accross the road, none on my side, and the road was plenty wide that I didn't need wheels on the kerb for cars to pass me.

As I said, I'm not having a moan about it but, while I was waiting to be declamped loads of people, residents, park users and passers by, stopped to ask why we were clamped? They, like me, said they would never think of looking in the middle of the road for reasons not to park, so long as there were no yellow lines and no signs up.

The residents I spoke with said they've only started this in the last few weeks, which leads me to guess that it's the council scouring the rta to see how they can bring in an extra bit of revenue in these dark times. Or are these contracts just sold off to the likes of Park Rite who can use whatever means they see fit (within the law) to turn a profit?

Anyway, let's be careful out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Usually a continuous white line is there because the road is narrow and cars cannot pass parked cars safely and so for this reason parking is not allowed. It is a penalty point offence, lucky you were just clamped to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Was it on a narrow piece of road, or near a bend or a junction maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Damien360

thats a new one on me. Think how many roads have continuous white line in a built up area with parking on both sides. Loads.

If you were on an open road with no hard shoulder to stop on I might understand why you were clamped.

If the car was in a dangerous position to obstruct traffic (as yours was deemed to have been) then it should have been lifted away. I don't know the road, is it a clearway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you mean Rathdown Park / Drive / Avenue? Its a fair walk to Rathdown Road in Phibsborough.

Its an offence to force someone to cross a solid white line - its been in the Rules of the Roads for an awful long time,

You do read the Rules of the Roads now and again, don't you?

Councils get all the money from clamping (fines go to the Exchequer). The contractor is essentially on a fixed fee. In Dublin, clamping fees do not cover the cost of the clamping service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭kdevitt

My ex girlfriend was clamped for that about 11 years ago - its definitely not a new tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Usually a continuous white line is there because the road is narrow and cars cannot pass parked cars safely and so for this reason parking is not allowed. It is a penalty point offence, lucky you were just clamped to be honest.

but but but i didn't know the rules so fuck the government!!!!11
    oh yeah and fuck the banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thank F**K Limerick do not clamp.

When I go to Dublin, Cork or Galway I park in a multistorey at all times out of fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Jeez the amount of self righteous people on here, the OP acknowledged he was in the wrong, was just letting people know as it seems to be only recently enforced on this stretch of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Victor wrote: »
    In Dublin, clamping fees do not cover the cost of the clamping service.

I have seen the figures

The fees cover it but creative accounting is done to make it appear that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

milltown wrote: »
    As I said, I'm not having a moan about it.

Just posted as a heads up. I felt less of a fool when the numerous passers by, and almost everyone I mentioned it to since, said they would not be inclined to look for the white line in the middle of the road when parking.
    And as I mentioned, the local residents said they've only been clamping for that in the last few weeks.

If you drive to Bushy Park, be careful where and how you park.

If you don't, take this as a friendly reminder to look further than kerbs and lamp posts when parking, whether it's a car or a high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

milltown wrote: »
    whether it's a car or a high horse.
    :D

Advertisement