Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing dog to Italy

Options
  • 10-07-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi

Myself and the missus have been offered the chance to live and work in Naples for a couple of years and I am just trying to guage feelings on my dog. I have just returned from checking out the city and from talking to real estate agents and from looking around Italians are traditionally dog owners and according to the estate agent getting an apartment with a pet is not a problem.

I have researched the pet passport issue thoroughly and thats all grand. The issue is with the dogs age tbh. She is 14 (nearly 15) but besides a little arthritis in her hinds she is in fantastic nick and still has a lot of energy and exhuberance. She is quite a nervous sort though and I am really worried about the flight over for her. I spoke to the vet and he said that sedating her is not an option because of the coldness of the cabin her heart could give out.

Am I worrying unnesscessarily here? Has anyone evr brought pets abroad and what was your experience? Leaving her behind is not something I want to do, though my mother has offered to take her, my mother is quite elderly and I dont think it would be fair on her, plus I just cant imagine not having my dog around y'know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've never travelled with my dog, but I know a guy who brought his GS over from Italy - I think he came by car and brought her on the ferry. I don't know if this is necessarily a less stressful option, as they have to go into a kennel on the boat, but at least you'd be able to sedate her and can travel at your pace - it would need careful planning though and a week off!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I brought my dog (at this point nearly 12) from germany by car. Drove first to england (first ferry included) and then from Holyhead with the second ferry to dublin. The dog could stay the whole "Ferry time" in the car. No stress for him.:cool:

Advertisement