Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Connor's Optician in Listowel Kerry

Options
  • 10-07-2009 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

This is probably my worst customer experience in Ireland:

I refer to an eye test appointment I had with [name removed by mod] at O'Connor's Optician Listowel on 10th June 2009.

A month has now passed and I am still waiting for a fitting for my glasses.

My initial reasons for choosing this optician was due to the very good impression the assistant [name removed by mod] made and she was very helpful when it came to choosing the frames. She also scheduled an appointment for me.

It was at this appointment that the nightmare really began. The optometrist who attended me - [name removed by mod] - I am very sorry to say, was extremely rude. She enquired as to whether I was taking any medication to which I informed her "yes" because of migranes. Her response was rather strange with a sarcastic "oh really" . When testing my eyes with the usual small letters for sharpness etc. she was so impatient to receive my replies she actually requested that I hurry up. To me the letters were neither small nor sharp but I felt so confused, intimidated and pressurized to give some sort of an answer as quickly as possible. Seeing as we are dealing with my eyes and not a pair of shoes in Shaws, I thought this was completely unacceptable and unprofessional behaviour on [name removed by mod] part.

Bearing in mind the inaccuracy of this test and the long delay in being given an appointment for a fitting I feel that I cannot accept the lens any more and unless O'Connors Optician can provide me with a thorough and accurate test by a different optometrist, I feel it would be irresponsible and even damaging to my eyesight to accept those which [name removed by mod] has prescribed.

I am willing to pay for the frames, of course, but unless an alternative testing can be conducted I am no longer willing to pay for the lenses.

I don´t know if [name removed by mod] behaviour was the result of a "bad-hair-day" or she was over-challenged in some way by me but I feel it is important not to let this sort of behaviour in anybody go unmentioned. It is on behalf of those less capable of expressing themselves that I chose to go ahead and explain my experience. I would hope, of course, it would be in the interest of future good business at O´Connor´s Opticians as well.

We have informed O'Connors Opticians by registered letter. I know the letter was received because I have the receipt which can be verified with the AnPost website. No contact has been made for a fitting - is this the correct way to conduct business? I dont think so. I have dealt with other opticians in ireland before and none has been as arrogant as oconnors opticians, do they actually expect me to collect glasses without a fitting???

This is unbelievable and since I am a foreigner I cannot stop thinking they're just being racist...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Why is their rudeness automatically racism just because you are a foreigner? Sounds like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

Where I live I'm "a foreigner" and I dont jump to the conclusion of racism every time someone in a shop is rude to me, or I dont get a job or someone looks at me funny in the street.

Crying racism just invalidates your whole argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

OP please refrain from mentioning specific people at this store thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mod you missed removing the name of the individual at the end of the big paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I sort of agree with watna, don't play the race card, people tend to turn off when they hear the race card being used.

Perhaps you were being treated badly as a 'paying customer' but why didn't you pull the girl up with it and explain to her how she was making you feel. Explain to her you would like to be treated with respect and given the right amount of time needed to deal with someting as important as your eyes, and if you didn't like her response to that then you will just have to take your business somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

should have gone to spec savers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Mod you missed removing the name of the individual at the end of the big paragraph

ooopsie :o thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

The 'race card' as you put only occurred to me recently when after sending them a registered letter (which I checked they received with AnPost) the only thing they could do was to phone me and tell me the glasses were there to be collected. The fact that they did not even want to schedule an appointment for a fitting suggests to me that this is more than just a customer issue. Or am I wrong in thinking that the normal procedure would be to have a fitting, not just collect the glasses? I honestly do not believe they treat all customers this way... The optometrist who saw me treated me with disrespect as I have described above and now they have not replied to my letter and just phoned me to say the glasses are to be collected... I have been to other opticians in Ireland in limerick Clare and even here in Kerry and I do not think it is correct to just tell people to collect the glasses as they need to be fitted and an appointment needs to be made for that... This plus the way I was treated suggests to me that I am not wanted as a customer and I wonder why... I am a normal customer, no more no less, the only thing that makes me different is the fact that I am a foreigner. So it was not lightly that I have used the 'race card' on this discussion.
    I sort of agree with watna, don't play the race card, people tend to turn off when they hear the race card being used.

Perhaps you were being treated badly as a 'paying customer' but why didn't you pull the girl up with it and explain to her how she was making you feel. Explain to her you would like to be treated with respect and given the right amount of time needed to deal with someting as important as your eyes, and if you didn't like her response to that then you will just have to take your business somewhere else.

Racism only occurred to me recently when after sending them a registered letter (which I checked they received with AnPost) the only thing they could do was to phone me and tell me the glasses were there to be collected. The fact that they did not even want to schedule an appointment for a fitting suggests to me that this is more than just a customer issue. Or am I wrong in thinking that the normal procedure would be to have a fitting, not just collect the glasses? I honestly do not believe they treat all customers this way... The optometrist who saw me treated me with disrespect as I have described above and now they have not replied to my letter and just phoned me to say the glasses are to be collected... I have been to other opticians in Ireland in limerick Clare and even here in Kerry and I do not think it is correct to just tell people to collect the glasses as they need to be fitted and an appointment needs to be made for that... This plus the way I was treated suggests to me that I am not wanted as a customer and I wonder why... I am a normal customer, no more no less, the only thing that makes me different is the fact that I am a foreigner. So it was not lightly that I have used the 'race card' on this discussion.
    watna wrote: »
    Why is their rudeness automatically racism just because you are a foreigner? Sounds like you have a giant chip on your shoulder.

Where I live I'm "a foreigner" and I dont jump to the conclusion of racism every time someone in a shop is rude to me, or I dont get a job or someone looks at me funny in the street.

Crying racism just invalidates your whole argument.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rupamede, you basically posted the same response to watna and run_Forrest_run, abit of a waste tbh.

if you were unhappy with the test then at no point should you have gone ahead with picking glasses/lens.

If you wanted a retest then you should have raised this at the time instead you choose to pick frames/lens dispite the fact you felt pressurized and didn't feel your test was done right? This doesn't make sense and seems instead you just had a change of mind.

Frankly it sounds like you just want to play the race card because you feel things didn't go your way, how about you approach things in a normal civil manner first before going down such a route.

Looking for a simple retest is not a big deal yet its something you haven';t even mentioned you've asked them for, if you asked them for this in the registered letter fair enough but its something you could have got done much sooner if you asked in a civil manner in store.

As for collecting the glasses, actually its normal enough for places to just say call in and collect them and when you do they'll go through things with you then....they don't always need appointments for this like you are assuming and getting getting your back up about.

Cabaal,

Thank you for your reply, but I dont think you have read my post right. The things which you suggest I should have done I think I clearly state on my post as having done.

These replies are really not helpful and I find it rather insulting when you say 'how about you approach things in a normal civil manner first before going down such a route.' What have I done so far if not being civil with people who as I said (please read post completely!) have treated me with disrespect and not happy with that are now ignoring my letter and my asking them for a new eye test??? I think I am being fair with them, however they are not.

Seems to me, despite 10 years living in Ireland, I still did not learn to live like an Irish person - when in Rome, do as the Romans. It is not as though I am trying to teach Irish people a lesson, it's just that I am trying to do things the correct way. Instead of that, like most of my Irish friends tell me, I should have just let them order the glasses, and then not bother contacting them ever again. But I did contact them and I was civil enough with them. Lesson learnt? No, I don't think so because I do believe in doing things the correct honourable way, sorry guys!

I also notice that none of the replies I get here have been helpful or positive, you either did not read the post completely or attack me. This makes me feel that the Irish accept the status quo and the fact that in Ireland the big companies crush the small individual. There is nobody to help you out and when you complain you actually get hit on the head hard for doing so! Please don't tell me you do have an Irish Consumer's Association - I am a Member! But the only thing they do is give advice. In other countries in Europe Customer service associations intercede for you. Here it seems it is acceptable to be treated as I am being treated in this Optician. And I should not even dare to complain! Am wrong? Have you had experiences that prove otherwise, if so are you Irish or a foreigner?

Thank you.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    rupamede, you basically posted the same response to watna and run_Forrest_run, abit of a waste tbh.

if you were unhappy with the test then at no point should you have gone ahead with picking glasses/lens.

If you wanted a retest then you should have raised this at the time instead you choose to pick frames/lens dispite the fact you felt pressurized and didn't feel your test was done right? This doesn't make sense and seems instead you just had a change of mind.

Frankly it sounds like you just want to play the race card because you feel things didn't go your way, how about you approach things in a normal civil manner first before going down such a route.

Looking for a simple retest is not a big deal yet its something you haven';t even mentioned you've asked them for, if you asked them for this in the registered letter fair enough but its something you could have got done much sooner if you asked in a civil manner in store.

As for collecting the glasses, actually its normal enough for places to just say call in and collect them and when you do they'll go through things with you then....they don't always need appointments for this like you are assuming and getting getting your back up about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rupamede, you clearly think everyone's out to get you and thats house how your posts are coming across, as such I won't bother posting any further as there's no point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Maybe the system just works differently here?

I'm as Irish as they come, I've had bad service like everyone else, I just take my business elsewhere.

Rupamed - your friends suggested that you take your business elsewhere. This is the BEST solution and the one that punishes the poor service in the best way.

The consumer association cannot force a retailer to smile at their customers either here nor anywhere else. And in the current climate, retail business is difficult in all sectors, so simply go to another optician (I'm sure there's more than one in Listowel) and let that be that.

It may not be what you wnat to hear, but this is the way things are done here and in most countries. The poor service stores then close and the good ones expand.

Hi Darc,

Thank you for your post. At last someone who really tries to be helpful.

Have a nice day.

darc wrote: »
    Maybe the system just works differently here?

I'm as Irish as they come, I've had bad service like everyone else, I just take my business elsewhere.

Rupamed - your friends suggested that you take your business elsewhere. This is the BEST solution and the one that punishes the poor service in the best way.

The consumer association cannot force a retailer to smile at their customers either here nor anywhere else. And in the current climate, retail business is difficult in all sectors, so simply go to another optician (I'm sure there's more than one in Listowel) and let that be that.

It may not be what you wnat to hear, but this is the way things are done here and in most countries. The poor service stores then close and the good ones expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have to say, I agree with the others that there is no need to bring race into this.

My second hand experience of most opticians is that you don't need to make an appointment to collect glasses. The norm seems to be that as you're leaving they say "They'll be here Friday after lunch", and then sometime after that you pop in, tell them that you're there to collect the glasses, and then you'll try them on and let them know if they're comfortable. If the glasses are slipping or too tight, the sales assistant will make some adjustments to the frame right there. Some places will give you a case and some lens wipes/cloth as well at that stage.

From your description, the optometrist sounds like she was running late/behind schedule with her appointments. She obviously got your back up from the word go with her response to your meds.

I suggest calling the shop, asking to speak to a manager. Then explain that you'd sent a letter, and that you were wondering if it would be possible to arrange another eye test with a different optometrist to just confirm the prescription before you start wearing the glasses. Will you be happy with that solution?

One other thing to bear in mind - any time I've had an eye test, they haven't wanted me to spend too long staring at the letters deciphering them - it's usually a pretty snappy process, either you can see them or you can't. So it's usually "Can you read line 6?" "Not really", *click* "How about now - better or worse?" "Worse" *click* "Now?"

Thank you for your replies.

I have been living in Ireland for 10 years now and always liked it here until I started having these kind of problems, which is recently. I feel very defenseless here...

I normally get my glasses from CH chemists in Tralee where I have always been well treated but this time they did not have any frames I liked (same for Specsavers) so I tried Listowel and liked the frames plus the way one of the assistants treated me, she was helpful and she found frames for me, little did I expect to be treated so rudely by the optometrist then...

Perhaps I am just being like Don Quixote... The way this optician is dealing with things really disappointed me and it just made me feel as if there was something wrong with me, this is why I thought it racism, what other motive could they have...

Anyway, I will follow your advice and just try and forget about it and go to a different optician.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

im not related to anyone running this business,but I seem to think the op is makin an extremely big deal about nothing.

You arent gettin a new heart,its only a pair of glasses!!!!

Sick and tired of seing this racism card being played!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

rupamede wrote: »
    it just made me feel as if there was something wrong with me, this is why I thought it racism, what other motive could they have...

While racism is alive and well in Ireland, sometimes you need to step back and just remember that sometimes people are cranky and unpleasant to everyone. I'm Irish, and if someone in a shop was rude to me I just think they're cantankerous feckers and move on.

My dear friend,

if you were a foreigner in my country I would make sure I would treat you with respect so you would not have any reason to throw the race card at me. Not saying you have disrespected me but I think that if the Irish do not want foreigners to complain about racism then they should not give them reasons to even suspect they're being racist.

I have replied to your private message too.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Cabaal

if you were a foreigner in my country I would make sure I would treat you with respect so you would not have any reason to throw the race card at me. If the Irish do not want foreigners to complain about racism then they should not give them reasons to even suspect they're being racist.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    rupamede, you clearly think everyone's out to get you and thats house how your posts are coming across, as such I won't bother posting any further as there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Sounds like you'd be afraid of someone calling you racist, that you would walk on eggshells then?

Sometimes there are people who are just plain rude, which has nothing to do with where you come from. Also, the fitting for glasses, from my experience, has always been done at the collecting stage - only takes a few minutes anyway.

There is no obligation to get glasses from the place you get your eyes tested - you are within your rights to ask for a printout of you prescription, and take it to a different opticians, so that you can get the frames you want. I know the last time I went to Vision Express they did this automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

rupamede wrote: »
    My dear friend,

if you were a foreigner in my country I would make sure I would treat you with respect so you would not have any reason to throw the race card at me. Not saying you have disrespected me but I think that if the Irish do not want foreigners to complain about racism then they should not give them reasons to even suspect they're being racist.

I have replied to your private message too.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Can I ask you something? You say you have been here in Ireland for 10 years correct? Surely you have noticed how rude some folk can be in Retail?

I worked in retail for many years and worked with both male and female colleagues who were always grumpy or rude and I personally always questioned it. But you will find just grumpy and rude people here. It clearly doesnt make them racist. Yes they should respect you more whether you are foreign or irish. What I would suggest if you dont like someones attitude talk with your feet and leave this will leave a clear message.

Search through these boards and you will find many cases of rude retailers. Dont mistake this for racism.

I have been called racist many times in my past when I managed a store because I refused refunds etc etc and I treat everyone with the same respect and courtesy. Both Irish and Foreign get offended by rude staff members simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK folks, I don't want to see this thread descending into a debate on racism in Ireland - stick to the Consumer Issue aspect please.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

But Dudara isnt that the issue here? The consumer complaining of alleged racism and hence making it an issue to him/her? Had the OP not claimed such then no one would be discussing it. We all know Irish retailers can be rude and unproffessional. There really isnt a consumer issue here to begin with anyway. You cant do anything about rude staff unless they have actually done something wrong. And unfortunately rudeness is not covered by consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

But Dudara isnt that the issue here? The consumer complaining of alleged racism and hence making it an issue to him/her? Had the OP not claimed such then no one would be discussing it. We all know Irish retailers can be rude and unproffessional. There really isnt a consumer issue here to begin with anyway. You cant do anything about rude staff unless they have actually done something wrong. And unfortunately rudeness is not covered by consumer rights.

totally agree, the OP has still yet to prove to me that how he was treated was an act of racism. Listen OP, relax make sure those new glasses are not rose tinted;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

OP i've come across rudeness in all shapes and sizes from irish retailers and i'm irish; some folk are just rude to everyone!

however, regarding your "fitting" for your specs: when i got my last pair it was a case of 1)doing the tests to determine how blind i am(quite!) 2)i picked out the frames i liked with the help of an assistant 3)i picked them up 2 hrs later

there was no "fitting" involved?have i missed something?

Advertisement