Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in kerry have some computer parts to borrow?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just wondering. Built me a new pc, but the bloody thing isnt working. Was just wondering if someone had a spare i7 processor and or stick of DDR3 ram I could use to test my motherboard with....

Would be happy to leave collatoral in the way of cash or you can hop along.

I live in kenmare.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Have you done the usual checks? (checked all connectors, tried minimum boot with different sticks of RAM etc.) What's the system doing exactly? No reaction to power on? POST beep code? Crashing in the BIOS or while booting OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

Solitaire wrote: »
    Have you done the usual checks? (checked all connectors, tried minimum boot with different sticks of RAM etc.) What's the system doing exactly? No reaction to power on? POST beep code? Crashing in the BIOS or while booting OS?

All the usual done yep.

The LCD screen which comes with the motherboard is showing no errors.

My monitor says its getting no signal from the pc so its something wrong.

Its either the CPU, RAM or motherboard. If I can get a stick of DDR3 ram i can hopefully start to eliminate some causes.

That or if someone has a spare X58 they dont mind testing a chip on.

cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked the graphics card (i.e. swapped in and enabled a new one)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you checked the graphics card (i.e. swapped in and enabled a new one)?

I have tried a GTX 295, a GTX 285 and have also tried a passive X300.

No luck :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

But have you tried different VGA/DVI cables? A borked one is great for those mystery "PC seems fine but I can't see anything?!" problems... :rolleyes: And have you tried different PCIe slots? (its X58; it will have more than one...)

I doubt all the DDR3 sticks are duff, use one at a time for testing.

And try to clear the CMOS by yanking the battery and using the Clear CMOS button or jumper for 30+ seconds and see if it starts properly (might be a bad BIOS setting messing up the PCIe settings or something).

And I know its retarded, but you do have all the PCIe and EPS connectors hooked up correctly don't you? What PSU do you have there anyway?

If the self-test screen isn't showing flakyness then it might well be a power issue or slightly botched BIOS settings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement