Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women drivers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

For some reason I find women in big 4x4s to be the most terrifying thing on the road. It's a generalisation I know, but I've had more than enough encounters to believe in it. Possibly it's the type of person that would buy a massive 4x4 to drive around a city, I dunno, but oh, I have the fear.

Why just women? Why not the men though? Or when someone veers into your lane driving one, do you just assume its a woman?

Not getting at you personally, just I've seen this happen (and done it myself, to be fair, I have the tendency to shout STUPID BITCH! before I shout STUPID BASTARD!) and the person driving always assumes the driver was female - even when I point out 'That was a bloke' they just say 'Oh. Ah Right'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lanica26

From my experience, men are generally technically superior drivers but tend to be more wreckless and ultimately end up involved in more major accidents as a result.

Ladies tend to be considerably more cautious and wary but would be involved in more minor accidents such as bumping cars or scraping side panels when parking.

I really agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Silverfish wrote: »
    Why just women? Why not the men though? Or when someone veers into your lane driving one, do you just assume its a woman?

Not getting at you personally, just I've seen this happen (and done it myself, to be fair, I have the tendency to shout STUPID BITCH! before I shout STUPID BASTARD!) and the person driving always assumes the driver was female - even when I point out 'That was a bloke' they just say 'Oh. Ah Right'.

I think it's just the type of person that drives a big 4x4 in a city. Now, how to proceed with this explanation without digging myself into a hole. I guess it's a bit like the female version of male Merc drivers, who, in general I can't stand... they tend to be pushy and inconsiderate. It's really hard to explain, but just as a certain type of male driver buys a white Japanese import, so a certain type of woman buys a 4x4. I'm not saying all women in 4x4s are scary, I know some women whose jobs lend themselves to 4x4 use and are excellent drivers, just possibly the school-run crew.

I think it's just the type of person that drives a big 4x4 in a city. Now, how to proceed with this explanation without digging myself into a hole. I guess it's a bit like the female version of male Merc drivers, who, in general I can't stand... they tend to be pushy and inconsiderate. It's really hard to explain, but just as a certain type of male driver buys a white Japanese import, so a certain type of woman buys a 4x4. I'm not saying all women in 4x4s are scary, I know some women whose jobs lend themselves to 4x4 use and are excellent drivers, just possibly the school-run crew.

No no no, its not merc drivers, its bmw drivers.

bmw_recall.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Naturally the AH thread has to be littered with moronically sexist posts against female drivers - because this ad has given them "licence" to :rolleyes:

Yes, I admit I've lost it on that thread. I'm just so sick to the back teeth of the misogyny. I also regularly speak out against anti male attitudes so it's not a case of me being all "feminist" (although it's idiocy to assume feminist = man-hater).

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Naturally the AH thread has to be littered with moronically sexist posts against female drivers - because this ad has given them "licence" to :rolleyes:

Yes, I admit I lost it on-thread. I'm just so sick to the back teeth of the misogyny...

There there, sure we've been the target of misogyny in advertising for years - cleaning products, cooking products, car ads, yorkie ads, lynx ads, it's a new one for the boys to be the target of it so it's only fair they get their knickers in a knot.

Nothing tastes as bitter as your own medicine. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

i think statistically men would be better drivers.... that said i know a few guy's that could do with re-sitting the driving test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I think about 80% of drivers could deal with resitting the driving test . . . I was a very good driver when I first got my license, but now I think I've just gotten lazy.

(I know I'm not alone in that sentiment! . . . :o)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There should be women lanes with fast written in white capitals :pac:

I'd just ignore the AH posters, doesn't even matter if men are technically better or not if they are the ones slamming into a pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

its the old people u'd want to look out for! its always old people that drive out in front of railway crossings! and they dont even wear a high visibility vest haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm fairly certain OAP women go to slow they are going backwards in time. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

I think the difference in male and female driving styles boils down to one thing. Men overestimate their abilities behind the wheel, and women underestimate theirs.

Its the ultra slow drivers, usually OAP's, that irritate me into risking behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

nipplenuts wrote: »
    That pretty much sums it up. Men are involved in fewer accidents than women, but the consequence of a man's accident is usually more severe.
    Lanica26 wrote: »
    I really agree.

And not a single thanks. I can't continue to work like this!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭terrytrent

Joke: Why shouldn't women drive?

Because there isn't a road between the bedroom and the kitchen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

My ma's a pretty good driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

terrytrent, please have a read of the Ladies' Lounge charter, paying particular attention to the fact that this isn't the place for sexist jokes. Future posts of this nature will get you infracted and/or banned.

Ta.

Xiney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

well let me put it to you this way ladies

men pissing about women drivers really irritates you' to the bone but we feel the exact same way when you piss about women being better than men...

so its all one big battle with no definite answer

we'll stop moaning when you stop :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

They stood jeering me for 10 mins before he came up and said 'c'mon love, I'll reverse it out for you.'

He hit his own car 3 times before he eventually gave up and reversed his car.

That must have tasted extremely sweet.

I honestly can't diffrentiate between who is worse. I come across bad bad drivers / parkers from both sexes, all ages, all classes and many nationalities.
    Saying that though, I have become quite superstitiious when singling out who annoys me most on the road. Definately German car drivers. Also, anyone with a reg plate 8 years or older :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

robbie_998 wrote: »
    you piss about women being better than men...

Better than men with what? At driving or in general? I haven't seen any posts in here from a woman that would be so vapid and childish. I don't know what you are on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

For some reason I find women in big 4x4s to be the most terrifying thing on the road. It's a generalisation I know, but I've had more than enough encounters to believe in it. Possibly it's the type of person that would buy a massive 4x4 to drive around a city, I dunno, but oh, I have the fear.

Yes, you're right there, it is a MASSIVE generalisation.

Not getting at you personally, just I've seen this happen (and done it myself, to be fair, I have the tendency to shout STUPID BITCH! before I shout STUPID BASTARD!)

Anybody who pisses me off on the road just gets called a stupid cnut:)
    I'm not saying all women in 4x4s are scary, I know some women whose jobs lend themselves to 4x4 use and are excellent drivers, just possibly the school-run crew.

Thanks for clarifying that:)

I drive a lot, much more than the average person, and can safely say that elderly men and women are the biggest hazards on the road today. Sunday is the most dangerous day on the road IMO:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Last week I was driving down to kells with a friend to visit another friend. Had about 5 cars in front of me and we were all stuck behind some sort of relatively slow-moving cleany van/truck type thing. Everyone in front of me overtook the truck except one woman who was directly behind the truck.

So I start to overtake too, I'm right alongside this woman now and she decides to overtake also. She obviously didn't check any mirrors or blindspots and just drives out so I'm right alongside her, I can't god damn well go anywhere because she's beside me and there's a truck there too. The stupid cow obviously can't hear me beeping like a lunatic because I've been run onto the other side of the road and just proceeds to keep going. Then she belts off down the road like a bat out of hell and goes about her day without even acknowledging our existence.

I'd understand if I'd been a b1tch about overtaking her but I gave her plenty of space, there was no oncoming traffic, I wasn't taking an age about doing it, she was just a complete idiot and the kind of person who kills people on roads.

On the same day on the trip back to dublin, we're on the M50 and a guy enters in his little midlife-crisis sports car. Ordinarily, I'd move into the middle lane and let the merging cars do their thing but there were cars alongside me in the other two lanes. This guy decides to ignore my existence too and tries to drive into the side of me. I beep him cos he's about to drive into the side of the car and he gets VERY angry at me cos I didn't let him kill us both.

/rant

In short there are crap drivers of every sex and age and unless you keep your eyes open they'll try to kill you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,213 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Do think that both sexes have their really crap drivers. Do think with men drivers the range is a bit wider, from really crap to drivers that are better than average. I seem to notice more really bad male drivers, the bad male driver more likely to do something stupid or dangerous or annoying, where as the bad woman driver might just get in the way a bit (being too careful maybe) or not be paying attention.

robbie_998 wrote: »
    well let me put it to you this way ladies

men pissing about women drivers really irritates you' to the bone but we feel the exact same way when you piss about women being better than men...

so its all one big battle with no definite answer

we'll stop moaning when you stop :rolleyes:
    Ri-ight... you'll stop being sexist towards all women when some women stop being sexist towards men. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Thought of this thread today after a guy yelled at me with something along the lines of "f***ing women drivers" after he indicated wrong at a roundabout and nearly ran into two cars [he was indicating to take the first exit, was actually turning into the exit then all of a sudden turned towards the second exit and nearly took the front of my car off as I went to move onto the roundabout thinking he was taking the exit he was indicating for] Do I think he was a bad driver cus he was male? No I think he was a bad driver cus he was a bloody idiot. Only other time I've been accused of being a bad driver because of my gender was when some yob ran a red light and nearly hit me [thankfully I've good breaks] then had the cheek to yell at me :rolleyes:

People love to divide people into groups and compare and complain esp if they think they are in the better group. You normally only ever here men complain about women drivers rarely women complaining about male drivers. Anyone I know from Dublin complains about country drivers and how they can't drive. young people complain about old people, everyone complains about taxi drivers or SUV drivers. Nearly every learner on the learning to drive forum thinks they are better driver then someone with a full license, it just goes on and on.

Some people just shouldn't be let on the roads not cus they are male or female or young or old or rich or poor but cus they just can't drive. It's a skill that comes easy for some and not easy or not at all for others.

Of course there had to be a "Wo lads... she's got her period" type response to my post on the AH thread objecting to the "Horribly sexist ad so let's blame all WOMEN" comments... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do have to note that it's always been male drivers in their terribly important cars tailing me and overtaking me all the time, just because I'm in a micra. I go at the speed limit, take off fast, don't drive remotely dangerously, so no, it's just idiots being big macho men. Because it's not cool being "stuck" behind a micra. :rolleyes:

Other than that I don't really notice a difference, maybe I will in time!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

TBH I'm sick of AH, my blood pressure couldn't stand going in there today.

I've worked driving for a living and IMO middleaged men elderly drivers of both sexes are dangerous.
    The 3 times I've been crashed into have been middle aged men just not paying attention.
    I can only assume the middleaged drivers think they've been doing it for so long they can do it with their eyes closed. One thing to remember the licence lotto winners will all be in their early 50s now.
    Just yesterday we were coming to a roundabout there was 1 lane feeding to the roundabout and 1 feeding off directly opposite. My OH was driving and had to slam on the brakes halfway round the roundabout, a lovely driver had decided he'd try and squeeze in between our car and the roundabout just to get in front of us.
    Honestly driving everyday for a living you realise people in general are quite thick when it comes to driving, they assume they're in forcefields or summat, not in tonnes of metal that will kill them very easily, I would see a near miss everyday on the M50, it's f-ing scary sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Ginny wrote: »
    TBH I'm sick of AH, my blood pressure couldn't stand going in there today.

I've worked driving for a living and IMO middleaged men elderly drivers of both sexes are dangerous.
    The 3 times I've been crashed into have been middle aged men just not paying attention.
    I can only assume the middleaged drivers think they've been doing it for so long they can do it with their eyes closed. One thing to remember the licence lotto winners will all be in their early 50s now.
    Just yesterday we were coming to a roundabout there was 1 lane feeding to the roundabout and 1 feeding off directly opposite. My OH was driving and had to slam on the brakes halfway round the roundabout, a lovely driver had decided he'd try and squeeze in between our car and the roundabout just to get in front of us.
    Honestly driving everyday for a living you realise people in general are quite thick when it comes to driving, they assume they're in forcefields or summat, not in tonnes of metal that will kill them very easily, I would see a near miss everyday on the M50, it's f-ing scary sometimes.

You've just reminded me, I was nearly in a head on collision, I wasn't speeding so it gave the other driver enough time to react. I had just come off a round about and the driver instead of using the two lanes to move out onto the round about had decided to use the other side of the road. Scared the ****e out of me and by the look on his face him too. I don't know what he was thinking, the cars that were behind him had stopped thinking he was going to drive into me, luckily he swirved onto his side of the road and there was nobody in his way. I actually had completely forgotten about that, until now, and it was only a few months ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think people are often quicker to criticise women than men too. My boyfriend is an excellent driver, very competent. But that doesn't mean that he doesn't occasionally stall, or grind his gears, or park badly. When men do things like that, it's just accepted as something that occasionally happens, but when women do it they're jeered at.

That being said, I think men are better than women in certain areas, especially parking. Men generally have better spatial awareness than women anyway, which gives them a huge advantage when parking. I'm a fairly rubbish parker, and my boyfriend blows me away with the skill he has when it comes to parking. It's flawless.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    That must have tasted extremely sweet.

You know those donuts, the long ones, with the icing sugar dusting, the cream up the middle and the jam? It tasted like one of those.

As I swung the car out of the parking space and drove off going 'YEAH BABY' through my clenched teeth. Yum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement