Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a Suggestion

Options
  • 11-07-2009 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Can I make a simple suggestion? Is it possible to have a Mod write a reason why they lock a post? That way you are not sitting there with an expression of "huh why" on your face. I am a Mod at many large web forums and we always list a simple reason as to why a post was locked. This stopped many reposts.

Just a suggestion, that's all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay, not to be pernickity, but I don't know precisely what you're referring to, because you've talked about locking a forum, (which nobody can do), and locking a post (which nobody can do).

I can only assume you're either referring to deleting a post, which mods can do only within their own forums - and most of them will post a reason that they've deleted a post, e.g. 'spam' or 'off topic' or 'trolling'. The other thing you may be talking about is locking a thread.

There are a few reasons to lock a thread. The most obvious ones would be that the thread is a troll, or spam, or advertising, or irrelevant to that forum (though mostly we recommend that mods move the thread to the correct forum instead of just locking it on theirs). Other, more subjective reasons, would include if the mod believes the thread is going around in circles (the same posters are making the same points, nobody is giving any ground, and nobody is listening to anybody else), or is a 'train wreck' e.g. none of the posters is taking the original post seriously, people are sniping, trolling, abusing each other, contributing lolcat pictures and so on.

Now that aside, can you link me to, or point me in the direction of, whatever has prompted your feedback thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

By the way, if you're referring to this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611282

Ruu locked it because as he said, the discussion has already been done pretty comprehensively. He's linked to it from his final post on the thread.

That isn't to say that we never allow people discuss anything twice - we always welcome new takes on different subjects, or a discussion in the light of a new development, but it can be a good idea to search a forum to see whether your topic is already done in detail - especially in the case of a question you might have.

Having a mod lock your thread doesn't count 'against' you in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Belinda_Coopers

Thank you, you answered my question. Yes I was referring to that thread, I did not at the time realize he/she was a mod who did the last post. I was going to post a thank you for referring me to another thread but found mine was lock. I am new which is obvious and did not see the post they were linking me to, So I wanted to thank him/her and noticed it was locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Can I make a simple suggestion? Is it possible to have a Mod write a reason why they lock a post? That way you are not sitting there with an expression of "huh why" on your face. I am a Mod at many large web forums and we always list a simple reason as to why a post was locked. This stopped many reposts.

Just a suggestion, that's all.

+1,not leaving reasons is one of the reasons why the heavy handed Mod in Airsoft forum thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

90% of the time it is rather obvious to most users why it has been locked, and other times i do find that the mods give a reason for locking the thread followed by a few slaps of the ban hammer.

Im sure we wont see this thread being locked without a reason.

The irony would be just too delicious :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement