Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Little Nervous Posting Here

• 11-07-2009 3:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I have to say I am a little nervous posting on this site. I have read all the charters to the "boards" I am interested in and completely understand them But as I did my "research" to this board I find I am a little put off. It seems some people get banned or have an infraction but others do not, when some do the same things as the ones being banned.

Mind you some who get banned it is obvious why they were banned in the first place, actually most who got banned in my opinion based on the charters deserve it. But there are the minority who, in my opinion have done less than others, have got banned and should not have.

So I would like to be a good contributor to this board, how would I go about doing that? It seems like some punishments are not consistent. Some can others can't, sort of thing. I have absolutely every intention to follow the charter. But how do I know that what I say is ok, based on what I have read?

I know I can not go off topic, on which thread was posted, I can not insult people and be rude so to speak, I can not argue with a mod on board (which I totally agree with as I too mod boards) But what gets me is the cursing. I am NOT a curser but there are times I am frustrated and want to cures. Some boards seem to allow it more than others, some boards will give a warning for it. How do I know which boards are ok and others are not?

Look, I am not trying to start anything, I am to educated for that. But I would love to be apart of this board, but I worry about some things that SEEM to be double standard. Can anyone shed a light on this?

As a whole I totally and 100% get the charters, in fact most if not all is common sense. But some Mods seems to take things different. How does a newbie poster feel comfortable here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Just get on with it really, see what happens. I've gotten in trouble for swearing because i seen everyone else bypassing the whatdyamacallit and thought it was grand! Same thing with the heroin. Fine now though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Are you really from Nova Scotia ?

Just act as though you were in your local bar/cafe having a chat really. An Infraction is nothing more than a slat on the wrist. People make a big fuss about it but it's just a way for a mod to warn someone about the way they are conducting themselves. It is not a punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I am to educated for that.
    This one was too good to let go :pac:
    But I would love to be apart of this board, but I worry about some things that SEEM to be double standard. Can anyone shed a light on this?
    I agree to an extent. I just put it down to abnormally raging hormones. Some days they're ok, some days they're as twisted and cranky as fck. They are human afterall. Most are alright though, like Terry for example.
    But some Mods seems to take things different. How does a newbie poster feel comfortable here?
    Befriend the mods, and maybe more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

As long as you don't have a malicious intent, then you'll be fine and in 99% of the cases I find the mods know this. This can be based on your usual behaviour and etiquette (if that's the right word to use).

For example, lets say your entering a thread about a touchy subject (eg abortion). If, for example, everyone is for abortion, and you're against it, and want to debate some other people's points, then you can do so. It's just as long as you're mature about it and do debate about the points and don't abuse the person who made it. You can only abuse the person who made the point if you use the pac man smiley (:pac:) after. :)
    Just have common sense...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Just be civil and you'll be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

jumpguy wrote:
    You can only abuse the person who made the point if you use the pac man smiley (:pac:) after. :)
    For example....
    Just be civil and you'll be fine :)
    STFU! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

if you're posting in a contentious thread, and someone says something that winds you up, write up the cursiest, angryist post you can, and then, before you press "submit", go and have a cup of tea, or a smoke or whatever. When you come back, read the post, edit it to remove the angry cursey stuff, and hit submit, if you can still be bothered.

there's no law making you post on boards, btw, and nothing bad will happen to you if you get infracted or banned or even sitebanned. try not to worry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Belinda_Coopers

Thank you all

You have set this mind at ease. I have been on many boards but this one seems to have more rules, which again I respect and understand.

Ok so I will not worry so much and just use common sense and I will be fine. So how do I know my common sense is the same as the mods common sense? Just kidding :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Belinda_Coopers

Ponster wrote: »
    Are you really from Nova Scotia ?.

Yes, why? LOL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yes, why? LOL

Because I'm going there in August for 2 weeks vacation :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement