Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using three datamodem?

• 11-07-2009 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hey all, finally got the game up and running, all the patches finally installed.
    Things were looking up...
    AND THEN....
    Sorry for the dramatics.
    Is anyone else playing over a broadband connection using the 3 Datamodem?
    I've got the E160G and it's generally pretty good, not superfast but it does the trick for torrents and streaming videos and such, unfortunately I'm having some trouble with WoW and wonder if it might be down to my datamodem.

I play for a few minutes, then suddenly I can no longer interact with creatures or NPCs. If I'm in a fight, I can no longer attack, the creature stops reacting to me and things stay like that for a minute or two, then it cuts to the login screen and I get a message saying "Lost connection to server" or words to that effect.
    If Im in a fight when I lose connection, when I sign back in I find myself in the Graveyard. Kind of a pain. Wanted to do some grinding tonight but I'm stalled on a paltry level three.

I'm pretty sure it's not down to my firewall because when I checked it, it said WoW had full access.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

smithcity wrote: »
    Hey all, finally got the game up and running, all the patches finally installed.
    Things were looking up...
    AND THEN....
    Sorry for the dramatics.
    Is anyone else playing over a broadband connection using the 3 Datamodem?
    I've got the E160G and it's generally pretty good, not superfast but it does the trick for torrents and streaming videos and such, unfortunately I'm having some trouble with WoW and wonder if it might be down to my datamodem.

I play for a few minutes, then suddenly I can no longer interact with creatures or NPCs. If I'm in a fight, I can no longer attack, the creature stops reacting to me and things stay like that for a minute or two, then it cuts to the login screen and I get a message saying "Lost connection to server" or words to that effect.
    If Im in a fight when I lose connection, when I sign back in I find myself in the Graveyard. Kind of a pain. Wanted to do some grinding tonight but I'm stalled on a paltry level three.

I'm pretty sure it's not down to my firewall because when I checked it, it said WoW had full access.

Any ideas?
    Hmm, normally, I'd suggest something like this:
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21468&rhtml=true%3Frhtml%3Dy

But I'm not sure how that applies to the usb modems. Try completely disabling your network card while using the modem and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

The effects you are describing are basically a result of you losing sync with the server, initially other players will disappear and you cannot talk to vendors etc, eventually resulting in you disconnecting. And yes, when you relog you will be either dead, or back where you were before the sync loss.

I hate to say it but 3g really isn't ideal for playing World of Warcraft. I am not sure there is anything you can do about it really, I had the same when using my 3 phone as a modem when I was waiting for broadband in my apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

That's bad news, the service has been playing up since trying WoW, finding it difficult to maintain a connection even to browse the net. Could be worse, our phone lines have finally been upgraded so should be able to get broadband through the phones now, eircom say they can only give us a 1mb connection with a 10gig limit for now though.
    Can anyone recommend a better ISP? I assume if eircom is available on our line, any other provider should be too.

Starting to look like I can kiss my first free months subscription to WoW goodbye.

Did you try the solutions I gave? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would recommend magnet, but they are probably not in your area if you can only get 1mb off eircom. Which you shouldn't get as they are thieving scum. I used freewire for a while when playing wow. It was ok... but not good for any other games. There is UPC which I don't like, ice broadband, I wouldn't recommend, digiweb are USELESS, there are some others I had, all crap. Magnet is stable, connection is very good, contention ration is excellent. Digiweb always has some sort of upgrading going on or a dish is down, they are always fixing something... and your never getting what you pay for. When you complain they boost it, somehow, and for a few days later the net is fine. But then they start fixing things again...

Ice are pretty much the same... wireless crap.

I would be testing UPC the next time I am getting broadband, to see what it is like. I hear they have top speeds for a lower price. I will just have to see what they are like compared to magnet :)

3 is useless, for everything. 20 euro a month is it? You are better off with a 56K modem tbh.

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »
    Did you try the solutions I gave? :o

Nope. Every time I've clicked the link you gave me my connection died.
    It's usually never this bad, which kinda gives me hope, after I get on to 3 technical support I have high hopes that everything will just kinda work itself out.

Anyway, trying again to check it out now and if there are any changes to implement I'll try them.

I'm pretty sure though that it's just down to my ISP, It's been near impossible to even get onto this forum tonight. Kept disconnecting, which aint cool cos I desperately needed to rave bout the Bruce Springsteen concert.

Just want to say, the world of warcraft forum here is amazing, thanks to everyone for your endless patience and support through my many, many, many inane, and not so inane, questions!

I would recommend magnet, but they are probably not in your area if you can only get 1mb off eircom. Which you shouldn't get as they are thieving scum. I used freewire for a while when playing wow. It was ok... but not good for any other games. There is UPC which I don't like, ice broadband, I wouldn't recommend, digiweb are USELESS, there are some others I had, all crap. Magnet is stable, connection is very good, contention ration is excellent. Digiweb always has some sort of upgrading going on or a dish is down, they are always fixing something... and your never getting what you pay for. When you complain they boost it, somehow, and for a few days later the net is fine. But then they start fixing things again...

Ice are pretty much the same... wireless crap.

I would be testing UPC the next time I am getting broadband, to see what it is like. I hear they have top speeds for a lower price. I will just have to see what they are like compared to magnet :)

3 is useless, for everything. 20 euro a month is it? You are better off with a 56K modem tbh.

Know what you mean, 3 can be like that. Complain and things get better for a while, then become crap after a while. Like I said, it's fine for torrents, which can survive losing the tracker for a while, streaming is ok once you dont mind pausing every so often to let it catch up, but if it doesn't work with WoW, I'm gonna have to try break my contract without having to pay for it!
    I reckon I'll get out of it on the grounds that it can't manage to do what broadband is supposed to do! I'll make a fuss with customer services and hope for the best.

By the way, why do you say eircom are theiving scum?
    I'm ridiculously impulsive and will sign up to a contract with them unless I hear a good reason. Is their service crap?

If you access the internet through an external broadband modem, be sure you have the latest firmware and drivers available for your modem.
    - If your computer connects to the modem via USB, be sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard or your USB PCI card.
    - If your computer connects to the modem via Ethernet, be sure that your network card has the latest drivers installed.
    - Some network cards also have settings that when changed have corrected these types of issues. First, you need to navigate to your network card properties.

- Click on Start.
    - Click on Control Panel.
    - Double click on the System icon (in Windows XP, you may need to click Switch to Classic View on the left hand side of the screen).
    - Select the Hardware tab.
    - Click on Device Manager.
    - Expand the section labeled Network Adapters.
    - Right click on your network card and select Properties.

- Click on the Advanced tab and you will see a list of items. Please try disabling the Checksum Offload option. This may also be listed as Hardware Checksumming.
    - You may also have a Speed/Duplex option on the Advanced tab. If you do, please try changing this to Force Base 100 Full Duplex. If you have an older router you may need to use base 10 Full Duplex. This may also be listed as Media Type/Connection Type.
    - If you have a Power Management tab in your network card properties, click it and unselect the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if selected.

That or try turning off any network/wireless network cards you have on your computer, while using the 3G modem. If that doesnt work, then you can be pretty sure that the issue lies with the broadband provider...

Ivan wrote: »
    That or try turning off any network/wireless network cards you have on your computer, while using the 3G modem. If that doesnt work, then you can be pretty sure that the issue lies with the broadband provider...

Yup, it's still cutting out after following those instructions.
    3 technical support called yesterday but I was at Springsteen so couldn't get it sorted.
    I'll try call back later, see if anyone's working a sunday.
    Update you after.
    Thanks for the help all the same.

For what it's worth, the 1mb from Eircom will be infinitely better for WoW than a 3 data modem.

It's not the best package ever, but you will get nice low pings.

• Advertisement

Know what you mean, 3 can be like that. Complain and things get better for a while, then become crap after a while. Like I said, it's fine for torrents, which can survive losing the tracker for a while, streaming is ok once you dont mind pausing every so often to let it catch up, but if it doesn't work with WoW, I'm gonna have to try break my contract without having to pay for it!
    I reckon I'll get out of it on the grounds that it can't manage to do what broadband is supposed to do! I'll make a fuss with customer services and hope for the best.

By the way, why do you say eircom are theiving scum?
    I'm ridiculously impulsive and will sign up to a contract with them unless I hear a good reason. Is their service crap?

I have tried a lot of internet providers, I have experience with more, through friends and the likes.

The "wireless" isp's are not great, they depend on the weather etc etc.

The "wired" isp's are a lot better, but are more expensive.

The satelite isp's are supposed to be good, but insane prices... like really insane. More for people living in very rural areas.

The eircom package, which I had about 5 years ago, was a one MB connection, the download cap was tiny, enough for browsing and some very small downloads. Their price was massive. We were paying about the 100 mark per month for a very very limited and simple package. They charge you for line rental, equipment rental, etc etc. We were shocked when we seen the bill, and pretty pissed off. Monopoly and all that, they can do what they like.

For 100 euro with magnet, you can get a crazy connection with unlimited downloads, 50 stations and still have enough change for a few pints ;) Their customer service is simple, they do what they say. There's no arsing around.

The likes of digiweb, a complete joke. All their sectors, like tech support, customer service, finance dept, are not linked together. If you have a problem, they will bounce you from one department to another. Resulting in high blood pressure and a smashed modem :) They charged me 90 quid 4 months after I cancelled my account with them, they also made unauthorised charges to my credit card. They used my credit card to make a "once off payment" because they made a balls of the payments, and continued to charge my credit card when there was a direct debit set up for them. A complete shambles of a company.

Only company I haven't used, that I know of, is UPC. I have had some bad experience with their service already though. I ring for a quote on TV and internet, 3-4 days later a tech guy calls out to set up the internet... A third party also rang me, they got my information from UPC, trying to sell me crap. I guess they sold my information to the company. I was pretty pissed about it :P

WellyJ wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the 1mb from Eircom will be infinitely better for WoW than a 3 data modem.

It's not the best package ever, but you will get nice low pings.

The eircom package will be a massive upgrade from 3 crap. I found it to be stable and fast enough. Pity about the cap and the price though... Unless they changed that over the last couple of years.

At the moment with eircom you get free connection, free wireless router, 1mb connection and 10gig cap for 20 odd euro.

Not ideal, but it's an option. My concern is downloading movies and stuff, since they settled in their courtcase.

Anyone with Perlico???

Btw, Eircom still dont care about the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I get my internet from ntl (upc i think) along with my tv, it's a 20 meg line with no limit on download's. I can play WoW and download movie's at the same time (mind you, on 2 different pc's). The service is pretty good, as in, you dont lose connection much.

But i have been having the same problem with losing connection to a realm on WoW. But it,s the usb key i have connected to my pc to pick up the wireless. I got the newer netgear one, and have had a good few problem's with it. Where as the older model seem's to work just fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm on UPC 20mb package aswell.

Its a superb package, cost significantly less then the 7mb line I was getting of eircom.

I'm required to use a wireless adaptor on my pc, but ignore anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who says this is useless. I still get a full 19.7mb speed.

Downloading is insane. However this is for the broadband forum

WoW related, I would normally be downloading large files at high speeds and doing instances or general play without a hitch.

I think I'm one of the few people from the irish outland crowd that doesnt suffer from any meltdown in dalaran, when i boot game it loads instantly. That is probably partially down to my pc, but the line definitely helps.

Whenever I connect my ipod to the pc by usb, the upc wireless connection drops, I assume thats a conflicting usb issue and not broadband related.

Cannot recommend UPC enough. If you are anyway half tech savy, you shuoldnt ever need to ring them with problems, if their lines drop, their lines drop. As with any provider.

I got more then my fair share of hassle with eircom, and after they borked my line with the "free upgrades" and fobbed my enquiries off, enough was enough.

Btw, Eircom still dont care about the cap.

You mean they don't charge extra if you go over the ten gigs?

You mean they don't charge extra if you go over the ten gigs?

Exactly. I still have not ever heard of someone being charged, and I go over the cap every month, by a long long way.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm on UPC 20mb package aswell.

Its a superb package, cost significantly less then the 7mb line I was getting of eircom.

I'm required to use a wireless adaptor on my pc, but ignore anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who says this is useless. I still get a full 19.7mb speed.

Downloading is insane. However this is for the broadband forum

WoW related, I would normally be downloading large files at high speeds and doing instances or general play without a hitch.

I think I'm one of the few people from the irish outland crowd that doesnt suffer from any meltdown in dalaran, when i boot game it loads instantly. That is probably partially down to my pc, but the line definitely helps.

Whenever I connect my ipod to the pc by usb, the upc wireless connection drops, I assume thats a conflicting usb issue and not broadband related.

Cannot recommend UPC enough. If you are anyway half tech savy, you shuoldnt ever need to ring them with problems, if their lines drop, their lines drop. As with any provider.

I got more then my fair share of hassle with eircom, and after they borked my line with the "free upgrades" and fobbed my enquiries off, enough was enough.

Meh, im one of those who cant go near dalaran or dragonblight, but im on Bloodfeather. Short of re-installing the game from scratch, ive tried everything. Do you know if re-installing it will solve my Dalaran issue's, or am i destined never to see the place?

Exactly. I still have not ever heard of someone being charged, and I go over the cap every month, by a long long way.

We were charged, almost 30 euro for every gig over the cap... load of balls. Scum is what they are.
    Meh, im one of those who cant go near dalaran or dragonblight, but im on Bloodfeather. Short of re-installing the game from scratch, ive tried everything. Do you know if re-installing it will solve my Dalaran issue's, or am i destined never to see the place?

You will never see the place unless you buy a new PC and get a good connection :)

You will never see the place unless you buy a new PC and get a good connection :)

My 20mb line should do the trick and my new dell is able to handle alot more than WoW:P

• Advertisement

Well my line is only capable of a 1mb connection, so we've gone ahead and ordered Perlico. They're offering 36gigs a month which I'm pretty impressed with.

Advertisement