Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card

Options
  • 11-07-2009 5:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently applied for a credit card with PTSB. I have been an account holder with them for the past 19+ years. I got a letter from them this morning saying they regret to inform me that they had declined my application. This completely puzzled me as I recently ( within last 3 months ) have been approved for a morgage from them, AIB and BOI. I decided to decline the offers of morgage, as Im going to wait, in the hope that the market falls again, but I would have thought that since I was approved for a morgage that I would be pretty much ok in regards to an approval for a Credit card!!:confused: Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sslazio11

Hi,

I recently applied for a credit card with PTSB. I have been an account holder with them for the past 19+ years. I got a letter from them this morning saying they regret to inform me that they had declined my application. This completely puzzled me as I recently ( within last 3 months ) have been approved for a morgage from them, AIB and BOI. I decided to decline the offers of morgage, as Im going to wait, in the hope that the market falls again, but I would have thought that since I was approved for a morgage that I would be pretty much ok in regards to an approval for a Credit card!!:confused: Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a mill!

Funny that you should have this on the board, as I came here looking to complain about PTSB as well. Requested a credit limit increase on my card from €1000 (which i asked for as my inital limit, despite them offering €1500) to €1500. I'm going on holiday next month, and I'd like to buy a bike, so it would have been handy.

I just finished paying off a €10,000 loan with them a year ahead of schedule, but was refused the increase on the credit card this morning. This from the same crowd who rang me when I was single and not making a whole pile of money, to offer me a mortgage which I could in no way afford. Absolutely fuming. If it wasn't for the fact that I already moved from AIB because they're crap, and my girlfriend had a horrible experience with BOI, I'd move elsewhere. Really, really annoyed.

My recommendation to you, would be to move to another bank, or at least threaten to do so. Not sure if that would appeal to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Ring them and ask them why you have been refused.

You will find sometimes that the application has been turned down because you didn't send in or they misplaced some piece of paperwork. So their computer monkey dealing with applications just sends out the standard rejection letter.

Happened to me before...so it's worth a try.

Check out this cost comparison from the Financial Regulator too - http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/cs_tab.jsp?stID=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

sslazio11 wrote: »
    Funny that you should have this on the board, as I came here looking to complain about PTSB as well. Requested a credit limit increase on my card from €1000 (which i asked for as my inital limit, despite them offering €1500) to €1500. I'm going on holiday next month, and I'd like to buy a bike, so it would have been handy.

I just finished paying off a €10,000 loan with them a year ahead of schedule, but was refused the increase on the credit card this morning. This from the same crowd who rang me when I was single and not making a whole pile of money, to offer me a mortgage which I could in no way afford. Absolutely fuming. If it wasn't for the fact that I already moved from AIB because they're crap, and my girlfriend had a horrible experience with BOI, I'd move elsewhere. Really, really annoyed.

My recommendation to you, would be to move to another bank, or at least threaten to do so. Not sure if that would appeal to you?

PTSB are useless! Like you im fuming..in the end I applied with halifax and they got back to me this morning to forward documents on, so fingers crossed! Im with that bank 19 years and every time I go to them for different things, its a hassle ( except for the mortgage, approved straight away). I remember when I first applied for my laser card years ago, they said no. I badly needed it as I was going to be living abroad so I needed cirris on the card. I was denied and given no reason, so I approached them in person in my bank, was told no again, in which I then told them that it was ridiculous and that they were going to loose me as a customer! I was then approved!:eek:

Tbh, I think im going to actually move this time around, to which bank, I dont know as they are all useless! But they have to be better than PTSB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

brettmirl wrote: »
    Ring them and ask them why you have been refused.

You will find sometimes that the application has been turned down because you didn't send in or they misplaced some piece of paperwork. So their computer monkey dealing with applications just sends out the standard rejection letter.

Happened to me before...so it's worth a try.

Check out this cost comparison from the Financial Regulator too - http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/cs_tab.jsp?stID=10

Thanks! Im going to wait to see how I get on with halifax and then ring! Hopefully I get approved somewhere along the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I moved my mortgage and current a/c over to Halifax from PTSB.

Haven't had any issues with the current a/c. The switch over was grand. Am saving over €500 on the mortgage since I moved too. Happy days!

Did have the Halifax Visa card too, but since changed to AIB Click, as the rates are better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement