Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achievement whoring for pugs

Options
  • 11-07-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

I'm really starting to hate the inane: "LFM for Naxx/Uld/VoA - Whisper achievements!"

Which achievements? I spent 5 minutes whispering a list of achievements at a guy looking for more for VoA and in the end he said, "link me VoA achievements"

When you link somebody Ulduar hard mode achievements, that should be enough ffs! Or take a look at my gear, since I'm standing beside you and that'll tell you if I'm good enough.

Then there are the times when you take the time to find the right achievement and link it, only to find your spot is gone to someone else, who 90% of the time, is worse geared than you. Honestly, it's stupid and it pisses me off more so because the guy who sets up the pug invariably has no raid experience or achievements and gets to call the shots because he started the group...

Besides all that, its not a foolproof system. People getting pulled through instances on their badly geared alts or setting up a pug and getting in no questions asked means achievements are worthless for telling the skill/gear of a player...

I hate you Blizzard!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I agree.

I am having a pretty hard time running pug heroics at the moment. Granted yes I'm a new dinged 80, but I've experience in heroics from my Death Knight, and I'm not like a total remo at wow.

But I get this constant " link achievements" ****e. I can understand the " what spellpower" but I just do not get the achievement thing

Like that some irish lads shot me through gundrak etc, so that hardly represents an accurate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Asking to link the achievement for heroics is a bit much alright.

It's not as if you're going to be locked out of it for the week if it goes tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Start your own PUG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I considered that alright, but it requires hanging around for some time trying to organise it all. I just want to jump into a group, get summoned to the instance, do my thing, collect loot and leave it at that ;)

Is that so much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The achievement log has ruined wow almost to the point ive actually stopped playing , i am so sick of trying to get into a place to get the "whisper achievement's" How can i get them if people wont let you in if you dont have them ugh game's gone down will with wotlk , Its not like they matter i mean its made everything so dam easy to do tank and spank almost every boss :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote: »
    I considered that alright, but it requires hanging around for some time trying to organise it all. I just want to jump into a group, get summoned to the instance, do my thing, collect loot and leave it at that ;)

Is that so much to ask?

Yeah :)

I get where you guys are coming from, but unfortunately the way PUGs are, you get as much as you put in. Sometimes less. Never expect more.

I use PUGs for a couple of things...

1) Filling numbers only for something I know I can pretty much do myself, in such a way to achieve something either I, or the others need

2) Meeting people in the game with a view to potentially recruiting at a later date.

People don't really give a crap about PUGs and so they treat it with the same anonymity as they would with chatting on a random forum they will never go back to. So you can get a good idea of what a player is like towards others from this. You can weigh factors of their personality, ability to listen to instructions and work as a team, and their gear vs output. If they impress me in such a way to consider playing with them again, i'll add them to my friends list, and ask them to PUGs later. If it keeps up, and they need a guild, i'll normally put in a good word, either in my own, or set them up with people I know.

Best advice? Start making these groups. The benefit - you can kick people who are ****ing about. The long term...people you meet recognise you as both a leader and as someone who gets things happening. Get your friends list filled up of people who may not necessarily be friends, but would be co-players.

It takes a while....and it's not fun to begin with....but believe me it pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Well put Iceman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

achievements are rubbish there is no point in them.

ive been refused every hc raid group going cause i dont have achievements .

2432 sp - hit max - crit 22.36% - haste 700.

hc voa the other night the only people above me dps were in full t8.

I've given up on pugs, just going to have the irish outland lads get me through, when they are on and free, all have been really helpful with me :)

Its more fun too doing it with people you know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

only irish person i think i know on outland is drakar ...

• Advertisement

elexes wrote: »

<--- Furyio

That **** lock that took ages to level

TheDoc wrote: »
    Its more fun too doing it with people you know

Hence what I suggested. OK it's not real life knowing, but it's at least in game familiarity. If you don't put the time into making your own PUGs though, at least until you get a good list of about 10 people who you can call on to PUG, then you're left with whoever the group you join has put in. That can be a bit like russian roulette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Who else would anyone need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

achievements are rubbish there is no point in them.

ive been refused every hc raid group going cause i dont have achievements .

2432 sp - hit max - crit 22.36% - haste 700.

hc voa the other night the only people above me dps were in full t8.

Achievements are there for people to play the game more. There is no benifit for us really, only to say "oh I have this and that acheivement". People will specificaly play the game now to complete certain achievements.

It's not a great system, as others have said, there is no way of telling the the player is good. You can get boosted by friends or your guild, and still be in green blue gear.

I never ask for achievements, yet people still link them to me when I ask in the trade channel. I say I don't care if they have the achievement or not, what is their AP, SP, what is their DPS etc etc. That is the important part.

The other day I made a naxx 10 man, I took some people with T8, it was a boost for a friend of our. One claimed to have 3K dps, he failed, had just over 1K, he got kicked. Another had low DPS, but he was brilliant, knew what to do, didn't die, etc etc.

I laugh when people ask for achievements, it doesn't guarantee you a good group. Only thing it shows is that the person has been to that instance/raid once before.

It will be interesting to see now how groups react to me.

Last night finished a full naxx run with achievement and a few bonus ones, along with an OS run and some heroics, I think I've 1-3 left to do on heroic mode.

My dps has significantly increased over yesterdays play, due to item upgrades, but I would be interested to see the reactions I get now when I link achievements.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i started testing this out last week... whenever i get asked to link epic i mention im in mostly t8.5 and give spell power... i then got told "that means nothing cause shadowpriests cant dps anyway" and they refused to take me because i wouldnt link epic... it was for gundrak heroic...i mean seriously...epic is totally taking the piss and tbh its ruined LFG for me completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ya Achievements and gear check mean very little in wow now.

Example,
    Was in a raid last week that my guild put together. Hunter got into the raid and as im a hunter i wanted to check his gear out. It was to say very very good... Item lvl 232 or 226 (i have a little addon that tells me the points each bit of your kit is valued at) my gear been item lvl 200 and some bits of 213 with one bit 226.

To top it off im MM spec, so im more a raid buffer but also put out nice DPS. He was Survival which is what a hunter specs if they want pure dps power. Not sure if he was taking the mic or what but i left him far behind with overall damage and boss's damage done.

BadCharlie wrote: »

Example,
    Was in a raid last week that my guild put together. Hunter got into the raid and as im a hunter i wanted to check his gear out. It was to say very very good... Item lvl 232 or 226 (i have a little addon that tells me the points each bit of your kit is valued at) my gear been item lvl 200 and some bits of 213 with one bit 226.

To top it off im MM spec, so im more a raid buffer but also put out nice DPS. He was Survival which is what a hunter specs if they want pure dps power. Not sure if he was taking the mic or what but i left him far behind with overall damage and boss's damage done.

Have they changed hunters that much? In TBC, MM was for PVP mainly, surv was for raid buffs and BM was for raid DPS...

???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

What i think the specs are now are as follows. (Hunters)

Survival = PvP + Very good raid DPS
    MM = Good raid dps + Raid Buffer
    BM = Good raid dps + Raid Buffer

On another note i just got my rogue to 80 late last night. I plan on doing some pugs in the coming weeks. So im looking forward to linking my Achievements (which i do not even know how to do yet). So i expect in a few weeks time i will be pulling my hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

You shud try just linking the acheivement, done or not, and see if u can get away with it :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Ha!

I told you guys from the start achievements were a bad idea :D

Booo down with achievements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

BadCharlie wrote: »

Example,

Gear does not equal skill in any shape or form. I dinged my hunter to 80 last week and hes pretty much full naxx25 gear with a few t7.5 pieces, but ive still no real idea on how to play surv at all. Rotation... what rotation, Just mash whats not on CD (Yes hunters are much like DK's in this respect). Same goes for my priest and warrior, both in t8.5 dps gear but im not great at playign them as dps, Tanking and healign is a differnt story. Now im sure, if i learnt more about the spec i would do alot more dps, but when its yoru 5th lvl 80 on its 2nd spec which you usually use for the lulz why bother?

But the whole pug thing annoys me aswell with the "ZOMG LINK ACHIEVMENTS NAO" As even when you do get in there is always the RL's retardrd cousin in blues who seems to get prio on everything. So i found a simple solution to this, get soem mates from your guild, and even old guilds. Start soem calendar invites to them and their 80 alts, jump on vent and have a laugh. I run about 3 at max naxx 25 and 10man runs a week and have a great time doing it. I dont even have to bother master looting as none of them are gonna take the piss and start ninjaing loot or start QQing if they loose.

Have to agree

I did my first ever nax run on my lock there last week, never done it before.

Granted I died on the dance and got pwned by frogger ( no one told me about it ) , I think overall I did good, if even great considering it was my first run. My dps started to climb, and my overall damage was ok, not the best, but not a burden to the raid overall.

Got some serious help from Ellida, Viiv, Samc and Gurlwurld( I think not sure) and things went well.

There were some guys in there in nice gear, much better then mine, and had done naxx before, and were an absolute disaster.....

I was well chuffed with my play overall in it, like there was some serious lol moments from people, for sheer stupidity.

I just did what I was told and what warlocks do best, and there was no worries.

I was definitely in the worst gear, but I didnt come out as the worst player at the end of it, and with the few time upgrades I got, I've noticed a nice steady increase in pugs picking me up, and the confidence I'm now getting from having a nice dps/overall dmg output, where maybe two weeks ago I was getting kicked from every pug.

That has come down to sound lads helping me out, and myself just having solid rotations in place for a month and know my class well.

An achievement didnt help me...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

I think nowadays Achievements like having the Red Drake for doing all the 5 Heroic Achievements mean more then having attended a boss kill where you coulda been eating dirt for the whole thing.

Unless its like the achieve for killing Yogg in Uldar 10 then its pointless asking but considering there is an addon now that actually fakes achievement completion then what is the point at all.

If ya pug a group then your inviting all the melodrama that goes with them into your wow day and tbh you just deal with it or /leave.

If your leading then you quickly determine whos retarded and whoes spamming "if this drops can i have it" and boot them and hope the next char you invite wont be as much of as waste of pixels as the one before.

/hugs to guilds is all i can say and espically ones that have alt runs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I dunno if theres anyone on Hellfire eu, but theres a dude called Versorious, was on trade last night lookin for 10man VOA pug 4k dps+ no exceptions...lol...

think he was looking for approx 3 hours...:P

Tbh I dont care if someone doesn't have the achievment, just dont tell me you know the tactics when you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Einstein wrote: »
    I dunno if theres anyone on Hellfire eu, but theres a dude called Versorious, was on trade last night lookin for 10man VOA pug 4k dps+ no exceptions...lol...

think he was looking for approx 3 hours...:P

Tbh I dont care if someone doesn't have the achievment, just dont tell me you know the tactics when you dont.
    Well, thats a by-product of achievment whoring imho. People are afraid to seem like their not sure of what to do because people will not giving anybody the oppurtunity to learn. I took a hiatus for 6 months or so and came back and there was a brand new boss added to VoA. They were looking for a tank for it, a pug group; I knew I outgeared it but didnt know the mechanics of the fight. So naturally I say that I do but that I'm an alt, meanwhile I'm quickly scouring wowwiki to find the exact specifics to the fight but would have been able to have it explained to me in 30 seconds if I didnt think I'd be dropped from the group for just mentioning that I'd never done it before ;)

Sometimes, explination or not, it takes a wipe to show you the fight mechanics in action.

I don't think anyone would kick you after the first wipe for that, but learn fast :D or be honest. If you explain your situation, you might have more of a chance of getting into a group to learn.

Otherwise you could try the fight with a guild run group, then you'd be experienced enough to PUG it any time you like.

Anti wrote: »
    Gear does not equal skill in any shape or form. I dinged my hunter to 80 last week and hes pretty much full naxx25 gear with a few t7.5 pieces, but ive still no real idea on how to play surv at all. Rotation... what rotation, Just mash whats not on CD (Yes hunters are much like DK's in this respect). Same goes for my priest and warrior, both in t8.5 dps gear but im not great at playign them as dps, Tanking and healign is a differnt story. Now im sure, if i learnt more about the spec i would do alot more dps, but when its yoru 5th lvl 80 on its 2nd spec which you usually use for the lulz why bother?

But the whole pug thing annoys me aswell with the "ZOMG LINK ACHIEVMENTS NAO" As even when you do get in there is always the RL's retardrd cousin in blues who seems to get prio on everything. So i found a simple solution to this, get soem mates from your guild, and even old guilds. Start soem calendar invites to them and their 80 alts, jump on vent and have a laugh. I run about 3 at max naxx 25 and 10man runs a week and have a great time doing it. I dont even have to bother master looting as none of them are gonna take the piss and start ninjaing loot or start QQing if they loose.

Hilarious... We had a naxx 25 man pug the other night. 4 healers 2-3 tanks (dualspec etc) and the rest was DPS. The raid leader was a joke... basically made a pugasking everyone for achievements, he was in blues and some 10 man naxx gear. I couldn't believe the cheek of this idiot. He didn't know tactics or anything... I asked him if he wanted me to lead it. If he promoted me he was getting a kick.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Hilarious... We had a naxx 25 man pug the other night. 4 healers 2-3 tanks (dualspec etc) and the rest was DPS. The raid leader was a joke... basically made a pugasking everyone for achievements, he was in blues and some 10 man naxx gear. I couldn't believe the cheek of this idiot. He didn't know tactics or anything... I asked him if he wanted me to lead it. If he promoted me he was getting a kick.
    did this last night. pugged a OS ten 3d and the RL was a holy paladin.. didnt know tactics, didnt know what to do and started giving out because i couldnt pump 5k dps as quick as the mages... i asked for leader to sort out an addon, we kicked him and took a shaman, bloodlust and proper healing, sorted :)

• Advertisement

splinter wrote: »
    did this last night. pugged a OS ten 3d and the RL was a holy paladin.. didnt know tactics, didnt know what to do and started giving out because i couldnt pump 5k dps as quick as the mages... i asked for leader to sort out an addon, we kicked him and took a shaman, bloodlust and proper healing, sorted :)

It really sucks when you join one of these "Boost me I just dinged 80 and want the best epics" raids...

When you are the 20th person that joined the raid, you don't think to view the raid leaders gear... A mistake easy made. Of course, we checked out the raids gear to find a "3K dps" hunter in level 70 epics with one green from level 65. I mean, WTF? Mostly other greens and blues. Some level 80 pvp gear... If he passed 800ish DPS I would be surprised. :)

Advertisement