Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best for used cars/trade in?

• 11-07-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone recomnend a good used car dealer in Dublin - fair trade in price and fair sale price?

Was in Merlin this morning and it felt wrong - offered 1500 for mine against 5999 for the car I was after. Mine retails between 4 and 5k and 5999 for the one i'm after is at the high end for that type of car/year etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

Merlin would be one of the more expensive garages around in my opinion. What car are you trading in and against what ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Yeah - I'm starting to believe that.

Trading an 02 Kia Carens - want an 04 Almera Saloon or equivalent - basically downsizong but trying to go a bit newer if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 00D911

My advice would be to try sell/auction your own car yourself and then buy the Almera as a cash buyer that way you would be in a better position to haggle on the price.

Yeah - I agree it would be te best way to go but the idea of selling my car privately makes me ill - I'm willing to take a hit for saving myself that hassle.

Just got offered 1750 off mine for a slighly nicer 04 Almera from another dealer - getting more like it - all I need now is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    all I need now is money.

You and everybody else at the moment. Car dealers open to make money not to be a pawn shop. Im not trying to have a go at you or anything just showing the dealers side of the story. A) I think you are seriously over valuing your own car ( even if its mint ) which is something punters do and B) Even if it is worth that you dont really expect the dealer to give you the list price off it ,do you ! . Where do you think the dealer makes a profit if they give you full tilt for your car. Dont forget when you buy from a dealer its serviced ,valeted and comes with a warranty.....plus profit for the dealer. Does your trade in come with the same back up? No. When customers tell me they've seen their car on carzone for what ever price I always tell them to get carzone to write the cheque for it so. Usually ends that argument. :D

• Advertisement

Ah believe me I'm not overpricing my yoke - I am aware of the price of it on Carzone and am also aware of the hassle saving and other benefits of going to a dealer.

However I want to get the best deal possible - Frst deal was not bad but second deal was better for a slightly nicer car.

I want to use a dealer hence the original post looking for recommendations - I am certainly not anti-dealer although I have had a few issues in the past.

Ah believe me I'm not overpricing my yoke - I am aware of the price of it on Carzone and also am aware of the hassle saving and other benefits of going to a dealer.

Look like I said Im not having ago here just offering my trade knowledge and you are very much over valuing your own car. Now in fairness the Almera you looked at in Merlin was a little steep. Just as amater of interest why are you changing to an Almera. Running cost will by within 10% or there abouts the same as your Kia. Im just thinking did you presume you'd change into the Almera for nothing?

Was thinking of my own plus about 4 grand at max to make the switch.

No longer need a 1.8 six seater so want to downsize to a 1.4-1.6 saloon - almera fits the bill and they seem quite reliable.

Cheaper tax too!

Also, I hate my Kia which also comes into the equation.

Was thinking of my own plus about 4 grand at max to make the switch.

Ah well thats on the money so. Should get you a nice car alright. Just a little tip. Car dealers are no different from other people. Make sure your car looks well when you are bringing it into garages. Wash and a hoover can be worth 500 quid.;)

• Advertisement

Cheers - I'll keep that in mind.

Also, I hate my Kia which also comes into the equation.

Who doesnt :D. I once tried to price a Carens in the trade and every trader I delt with refused to bid me on it. One actually said " Thats worth nothing ...infact thats worth less than nothing " . I kid you not.:)

I can well believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Who doesnt :D. I once tried to price a Carens in the trade and every trader I delt with refused to bid me on it. One actually said " Thats worth nothing ...infact thats worth less than nothing " . I kid you not.:)

As a well known trader in Dublin once said "Rob, you'd have to rear someone from birth for that car" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness lads, Almeras are hardly in demand either, there are plenty of them sitting on used garage forecourts.

But in saying that to a dealer they would sell a 1.5 Nissan Almera all day over a 1.8 Kia Carens.

bazz26 wrote: »

But in saying that to a dealer they would sell a 1.5 Nissan Almera all day over a 1.8 Kia Carens.

One of the lads I work with was reading this thread and he coined it perfectly when he said " I've had plenty of people call me up and say have you any Almeras but I've never had any one call asking for a Kia Carens " ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As a well known trader in Dublin once said "Rob, you'd have to rear someone from birth for that car" :D

I love those trade quotes :D

Maybe we should start a thread on them?

Another memorable one about a Citroen C5 "harder to shift than aids" :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    I love those trade quotes :D

Maybe we should start a thread on them?

Another memorable one about a Citroen C5 "harder to shift than aids" :eek:

I heard a salesman say once " that yokes had more hits than elvis " :DI like that one...

Advertisement