Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Eircom router?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Not sure that the router is at fault then.
    Yes, the neighbour, if they have a video sender for example, could be the cause.

For comparison, my Eircom modem is about 25 feet from the laptop, through a 3 ft chimney breast and signal is very good, 3-4 bars. No neighbours and no other networks/2.4 GHz equipment in the vicinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Copyright

hey lads, I'm thinking of buying a new modem at the mo, Cos over the last few weeks ( I know eircoms been having problems ) but I've had other problems also, wireless seems to be messed up some how, when I go online on ps3 or xbox 360 , my internet goes, straight away until I turn them off, same with ipod touch or laptop, using my network, I checked my modems firmware should I downgrade? if so can you link me the earlier versions, at the mo its 7.8.0r2 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Copyright wrote: »
    hey lads, I'm thinking of buying a new modem at the mo, Cos over the last few weeks ( I know eircoms been having problems ) but I've had other problems also, wireless seems to be messed up some how, when I go online on ps3 or xbox 360 , my internet goes, straight away until I turn them off, same with ipod touch or laptop, using my network, I checked my modems firmware should I downgrade? if so can you link me the earlier versions, at the mo its 7.8.0r2 ?

Most likely your consoles set to use PPPoE connection, so if you switch them on, they will "dial in" which will cause the modem to disconnect, so switch off PPPoE on the consoles and that should fix the problem.

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    Most likely your consoles set to use PPPoE connection, so if you switch them on, they will "dial in" which will cause the modem to disconnect, so switch off PPPoE on the consoles and that should fix the problem.

how Do I do that ????
    Its just set up the automatic way . . .

how Do I do that ????
    Its just set up the automatic way . . .

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

when it comes to "IP Address Setting" select automatic, let me know if that didnt work... and make sure your xbox is not on at the time

• Advertisement

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/connectadvance.html

when it comes to "IP Address Setting" select automatic, let me know if that didnt work... and make sure your xbox is not on at the time

I dont come to that setting, I set it up automatic, So it should be fine, it was fine for ages until 2 weeks ago..

I dont come to that setting, I set it up automatic, So it should be fine, it was fine for ages until 2 weeks ago..

Strange, I would reset the modem to factory, (pin at the back power light goes red in 5 secs) then reconnect the PS3 only, check it that way...

Strange, I would reset the modem to factory, (pin at the back power light goes red in 5 secs) then reconnect the PS3 only, check it that way...

Nope, Done it :( no joy, I've rang eircom coutless times too, they just dont want to help, there useless lol

Nope, Done it :( no joy, I've rang eircom coutless times too, they just dont want to help, there useless lol

thats very strange, i doesnt happen to me, ok goto router gui, expert mode configure connection down on the page connection type, change it to "always on" save and restart

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When you say that your 'internet goes' do you mean that the wireless network breaks down or that you actually lose the connection to Eircom?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    When you say that your 'internet goes' do you mean that the wireless network breaks down or that you actually lose the connection to Eircom?

connection breaks down, until I turn off the ps3 . I think my modem is f**ked) or something wrong with wireless on it, I Need to fix this ! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

a few questions:

your isp is eircom?

your modem is a netopia?

did you ever mess with PPPoE on your PS3, to try get NAT1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

Sorry for butting in...
    I'm using the Netopia 3347NWG with firmware 7.4.2r2. and I'm just an average user (no huge downloading) on the 3mb broadband. Is there any need for me to bother with the firmware updates you guys have been referring to?

Dardania wrote: »
    a few questions:

your isp is eircom?

your modem is a netopia?

did you ever mess with PPPoE on your PS3, to try get NAT1?

eircom yep. 3mb .. netopia 2247 nwg, Yeah I have before, but it worked , and all a sudden my router stopped last 2 weeks, with major problems, I've done no messing with my router on the router page though

Sorry for butting in...
    I'm using the Netopia 3347NWG with firmware 7.4.2r2. and I'm just an average user (no huge downloading) on the 3mb broadband. Is there any need for me to bother with the firmware updates you guys have been referring to?

there is no huge compelling reason to update if you're not having problems - the old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it!

however one feature that stands out is, if you do update to 7.5.0 and beyond, your modem supports adsl2+, so if your local exchange supports adsl2+, you may get a more responsive connection. there are other incremental improvements also to the feature set...

Updated to 7.7. I'm not touching 7.8 unless forced to. Thanks again!

best of luck - and just check under the wireless settings that :

AutoChannel Setting: Continuous

is on...

eircom yep. 3mb .. netopia 2247 nwg, Yeah I have before, but it worked , and all a sudden my router stopped last 2 weeks, with major problems, I've done no messing with my router on the router page though

what i suspect is happening is that, as eircom have been having dns issues for the last 2 weeks, that your ps3 is still using eircom's dns servers as opposed to say opendns's...and that's why you're having difficulty gaming.
    what you can do is change the ps3 so that when it makes its pppoe connection, it uses opendns's nameservers.

To be totally honest with you though, notwithstanding eircom having dns / ddos problems at the moment, the netopia is a pile of ****e for ps3 gaming and firmware updates don't seem to address the upnp/nat3 problem - you'd be best off getting a new router...

Dardania wrote: »
    what i suspect is happening is that, as eircom have been having dns issues for the last 2 weeks, that your ps3 is still using eircom's dns servers as opposed to say opendns's...and that's why you're having difficulty gaming.
    what you can do is change the ps3 so that when it makes its pppoe connection, it uses opendns's nameservers.

To be totally honest with you though, notwithstanding eircom having dns / ddos problems at the moment, the netopia is a pile of ****e for ps3 gaming and firmware updates don't seem to address the upnp/nat3 problem - you'd be best off getting a new router...

Thanks for the reply, I think ill get a new modem then, Can you give me the name of a decent one @ a good price, ( one that can get nat 2 :P ) thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Same here with the PS3 and the Netopia, just fiddled around with it to get Tiger Woods 10 working and now Battlefield 1943 doesn't work.

I need to get a new router, a decent one with a proper DMZ setting.

Any recommendations on one with modem/wifi all in one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Any look on a name for that router, fairly cheap, wifi and supports Nat 2 on PS3, would be appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement