Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some help for the newbies

• 11-07-2009 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Just saw this over on TP,How to calculate focal length needed on a lens to capture a specific subject,In theory i think it's about right.

The squirrel shot match's up with one i took before IIRC

Anyway here the link

And the quote
    (Mods: I'm hoping this might be suitable material for the Tutorials section.)

In my line of business I often get people asking how big a lens (ie what focal length) they'll need for a specfic task. It's actually quite easy to work out if you know - or can estimate - how big the subject is, and how far away it will be. Here's how.

The basic equation is:

Focal Length = 0.75 x Sensor Size x Subject Distance / Subject Size

Here are some examples. In each case I'm using a Canon 350D which has a sensor measuring 22.2 x 14.8mm.

Let's suppose we want to photograph a giraffe, like this.

356725182_xvZni-M.jpg

The big giraffe is about 4m tall, say, and we expect to be able to get within about 30m of it. The sensor dimension which matters here is the 22.2mm because we're shooting the giraffe in portrait orientation - the height of the giraffe aligns with the long dimension of the sensor.

So the focal length we need is 0.75 x 22.2 x 30 / 4 = 125mm.

Or suppose we want to shoot a squirrel, like this:

255448346_mztsU-M.jpg

The squirrel is about 50cm long, say, including its tail, and we expect to be able to get within about 10m of it. Again the sensor dimension that matters is 22.2mm, because the length of the squirrel aligns with the long dimension of the sensor.

So the focal length we need is 0.75 x 22.2 x 10 / 0.5 = 333mm.

And a third example: photographing the moon.

255447670_eBKDs-M.jpg

The moon is 3,474 km in diameter and its average distance is about 380,000 km. This time the sensor dimension which matters is 14.8mm because we want to fit the diameter of the moon into the short dimension of the sensor.

So the focal length we need is 0.75 x 14.8 x 380,000 / 3,474 = 1,214mm.

Hope this helps. By the way, the experts amongst you will have spotted that the factor of 0.75 in the equation is an arbitrary one to help give you a decent composition - you don't want your giraffe / squirrel / moon to completely fill the frame, and this factor is there to give your subject bit of room to breathe in the frame.

Advertisement